If your character played an RPG...

Steve

If your character ever sat down and played an RPG, what sort of character would they want to play? Would they play fantasy, sci-fi, or something else?

On a side note, have you ever had characters play games within the game? I'm not talking RPG's necessarily, but even something like Chess or Risk.

Re: If your character played an RPG...

If your character ever sat down and played an RPG, what sort of character would they want to play? Would they play fantasy, sci-fi, or something else?

On a side note, have you ever had characters play games within the game? I'm not talking RPG's necessarily, but even something like Chess or Risk.

Eve would play Fantasy and be a beatiful elven princess with a magic wand or a brave lady Knight.

Valkyrie, hm...some sort of daring figure like a rogue or some such. She'd probably play a guy and release some of pent up aggression by playing someone like her favorite dashing romance novel heroes.

Shidoku actually has played D and D a few times. She tends to play fighters. Played a mage once, didn't like it.

Nexus is an accomplished GM ( I got her the PS) and runs a regular game on weekends.

Currently in my Redwood Academy game one of the character is trying to set up an Exalted game.

Interesting question.

Uncle Slam might actually enjoy a tabletop wargame, particularly anything civil war based or revolutionary war based. As for RPG's, I can't see him doing "roleplaying", but if he did it would likely be Legend of the Five Rings or something Historically based; He'd be a samurai or chivalrous knight.

Anthem doesn't play games much. But she'd enjoy a good superhero RPG. But she'd go with one with prefab characters because she'd want to play Batman or Captain America.

Audra Blue is all about decrypting puzzles, but not much on pretending, at least in the real world. (She's very good at it on the net, but in R/L she's too inhiibited). I think she's a PARANOIA player. She could be pretty devious if she set her mind to it.

once, while playing star trek, we had a GM get inspired or desperate--crazy game playing aliens scanned the database, discovered D&D, and made our characters play the game in a 'real' environment.

In the end, our RPG characters picked up the skill Gaming: RPG's as a result, and the characters had weekly D&D games 'in between scenss' (we didnt play it out, we just often started a game with "while in the midst of rolling initiative, the ship goes ot Red Alert).

Now that I look back on it, that was so much concentrated geekness I'm amazed we didnt form a black hole of geek-dom.

Le Fantome wouldn't be interested in role-playing games, though he might sit through one just to be friendly. He's too much of a people person, more interested in meeting and interacting with real people in real places.

Hell's Angel undoubtedly plays RPGs, though she's more of an internet junkie and a fanfic writer. Whether she'll continue to play RPGs now that she's become an actual, real-life superheroine (she's new) is a good question.

Outlander would scoff at the idea as a pathetic pretense. Why pretend to hunt dangerous animals, engage in combat and dominate your environment when you can do it for real? Only one reason: because in real life you can't. Hanging around with such posers does not constitute a good use of Outlander's time.

Dr. Anomaly might play an RPG if it caught his interest...he did in college, though he rarely admits to it. If he did, it almost certainly wouldn't be a fantasy game or D&D in particular. He dislikes D&D because of the sorts of ideas it gives to those people who are not real-life mages, as this conversation that happened in-game illustrates:

Dr. Anomaly: I need to prepare a few things before we can depart...in particular, most of my spell scrolls have been expended, and it will take a few hours to craft new ones. Fortunately, time is not of the essence in this case.

Sentinel: Hey, Doc, can't you just cast Scribe Scroll or something?

Dr. Anomaly: (sigh) This isn't a role-playing game, Patrick...this is real life.

Now, I have had character in a Legion of Super-Heroes game I was running roleplay, and during game time...Star Boy, Sun Boy, and Hidden Dragon (the PC) played D&D on several occassions. :)

Also, there is an RPG out there...Dream Park, based on the novels...in which you create a character who goes to Dream Park to create and role-play characters in a live action setting.

I've played Dream Park, and it's fun. :)

Cyrande would be the game master, and do mainly Malvan legends and space stories, complete with sound and visual effects. It would be good practice.

Nox would likely be dragged to a D&D game by Mal, and make a paladin, and be surprised by all the praise she gets for playing them right.

Captain Power - The fun of being GM when you're a shapeshifter.

"You open the door and you see this...."

(Hides under the desk, reappears as a horrible looking monster)

"OH ****!!!!"

I don't really have a lot of characters that would play role-playing games, they have way too much stuff to do. Captain Power would only because he doesn't need to sleep or eat and no one will date him...

Microman II: Probably favor a system like GURPS or Hero for maximum flexibility. Develops a talent for doing voices. Might not do very well, but at least *never* forgets anything about his character, and learns alot. As for genre and character type: any and every.

Diomedes: Favors fantasy games. Always plays a priest, or divine servant of some kind. Chuckles alot at private joke.

Guest Champsguy

Phaeton has done a little role-playing before. His girlfriend was the misbehaving schoolgirl and he was the math teacher with the paddle.

...What? Oh, those kinds of role-playing games. Sorry, he wouldn't be interested in those. He gets bored easily. He's a speedster, so he'd absolutely hate waiting for other players to add up their to-hit bonuses or something like that.

Actually playing an RPG in an RPG... not exactly. There have been those "fantasy" adventures where the group had to participate in some sort of holographic fantasy world to solve a crime, but that's part of the plot and isn't typically treated like a game by the characters.

A lot of my characters would play games though.

Kristian like video games and like arcades. Can't really sit still for anything played at the table.

Dust Raven knows how to play Go, Mah-Jong but rarely plays them. He also likes video games but is very picky on the types he plays (he likes thinking games that involve intense action, and there just aren't many to be found in his world)

Cobalt plays chess, and has a secret passion for martial arts video games. He'd be the most interested in an RPG, and would probably GM for a while before designing and publishing his own system.

Zectron plays anything anyone will actually play with him. He doesn't even care what the rules are, what the game is, or anything about it. Regardles, he'll treat it like a massive mission to be undertaken with the strictest seriousness and utmost tension and dramatization. He also has absolutely no pokerface, and typically announces his plans and stratagies in advance. Despite this, he tends to win, and few will play a game with him more than rarely.

Blackcat likely wouldn't play roleplaying games. She is living her "fantasy" by being a superhero. She does, however, play tactical board games, wargames and such things. Part of her background is a study of tactics (has a decent skill roll and a couple of associated KSs) and has likely been playing go and chess since childhood. She likely has a warhammer thing and has done a lot of sandtable games.

Ballistic never has, and likely wouldn't unless friends insisted on it. Just not his personality type.

Terminal Velocity would play "rules light" systems, and would likely enjoy roleplaying, but it hasn't come up.

Meeb would do anyting. He might even choose to be the map.

Pinnacle played a little D and D in college but never really got into it.

The closest Menagerie has ever come rpgs is Evolution combat simulations. If she did play, I could see her getting into Werewolf the Apocolypse.

Stopwatch: "D and D? Are you f*ckin' kidding me? That's for LOOOOSERS...."

Rick Davies the Resilient Rubber-Man has always been envisioned (from the time he was one of my PCs to his current role in the SuperSquad America convention game) as a geek. He has played role-playing games both before and after becoming a superhero. He tends towards games in which he can be a true hero -- superhero games, high fantasy, that kind of game. I've always envisioned him playing one of those annoying squeaky-clean paladins in a D&D game.

In a Traveller game many years ago, our characters often played D&D, that is, Dollars and Degrees, a role-playing game of being university students on 20th century Earth.

once' date=' while playing star trek, we had a GM get inspired or desperate--crazy game playing aliens scanned the database, discovered D&D, and made our characters play the game in a 'real' environment.[/quote']

To paraphrase the tagline for Tron :

An adventure inside the Fantasy Role-Playing Game, where no man has gone before!

I could just see the characters reacting to their new environs: "You mean levels and stuff like that? They actually work?"

(Just hope they're not playing 1st Edition AD&D. I don't think they'd get past the notion of small copper coins weighing 1/10 of a pound each.)