Need ideas for Excalibur

Richard Logue

Re: Need ideas for Excalibur

This is for a Champions campaign. I've got an NPC hero who weilds the legendary Excalibur. But other than an HA attack or an HKA, what else should it have? Also, should the HA and/or HKA have AP and/or Pen?

Any ideas and help here would be greatly appreciated.

Richard

I'd probably make it AP or Penetraing, but not both. If you use the idea that Excalibur is a holy sword, it might have the ability to produce light and dispel magic on anything it hits(Dispel-Linked). In theory it's unbreakable as long as it's used for a noble purpose or buy those pure of heart.

Rob

I would probably make it a HA with AP since you want to be able to use it to great effect without killing all your PCs (or their enemies). Don't make it a focus- then people would be able to take it away. Just call it a special effect. The light and dispel abilities make sense, and you may consider adding extra dice of damage against nonliving objects to better simulate its ability to cleave and rend, and to damage the undead and magical constructs.

The Scabbard is called Rhiannon. It too truly rocked preventing the bearer from dying while it was held. It was the female to Excalibur's male. Don't you just love the sexual imagery provided by weapons. In short acting together they were more powerful.

Excalibur xd6 Pentrating Armor Piercing Effects Desolidified Killing Attack OAF

Rhiannon Automaton Power Does Not Bleed; xd6 Healing (Simplified) Continous Uncontrolled 0 END Every phase; +40 Body Only to Stave off the point of Death -1; OAF

Array Aid 4d6 AID (Standard Effect) to All Powers [Excalibur/Rhiannon] Only if Rhiannon and Excalibur are in the bearers possesson -1/2 Continuous Uncontrolled

Adjust power level accordingly.

Hawksmoor

If you take Excalibur as a symbol of the strength of the land you could give it some earth and/or plant controlling powers.

Also, in many stories it was supposed to a symbol of peace, bringing the people together, and healing the country so you could give it some Dispelling/Nullification powers, Aid to teammates (Kingly Inspiration), and general Healing abilities.

well I playing around with an idea of a excalibur-wearing character too but I made the sword more like the witchblade... never read more then 3 comics about it but I liked the concept and someone mentioned to me that there was an excalibur too... is he wearing the sword out of the stories only or does he posses other powers too?

I gave him (he is not finished) some memories of the past, because my version of this hero is some kind of reincarnation of King Arthur... with IAF Excalibur. This is based on the story that he will come back when ever britain is in danger... well maybe I should say that the game I planning to run is some sort of (Super)heroes vs. Chtulhu and so it has a very dark tone

for champions i would make all his powers a little bit more flashy

IIRC in the Camelot 3000 comic book (1982-19, Arthur and his knights reawaken to defend Earth from some alien hordes from Chiron, the tenth planet. In that one...

SPOILER SPACE

...Arthur uses Excalibur, at the end of the comic book, to split the atoms in a rock at his feet (it being a hand weapon). This causes a huge atomic explosion which destroys the alien capital and ends the threat. Of course, an Afterword panel shows some unimaginable future (beyond 3000) where a human on the run from an alien menace discovers a familiar-looking blade in a stone...