Kill Bill

Dr. MID-Nite

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Kill Bill

I'm not sure about the Penetrating. Afterall, she used her sword almost entirely on unarmored opponents. My take was she's just incredibly skilled with the sword. In game terms, possibly using levels to improve the BODY damage...and...of course striking hit locations enough to make most players envious forever. Was there any point in either movie where she used her sword on something solid enough to justify Penetrating? I remember her hitting a baseball, but that hardly requires Penetrating.

Rob

Well, I chose Penetrating randomly...I wasn't sure how to define her "vorpal" katana...the things hacks limb and bone as well as a lightsaber. But bloodier. :)

Well' date=' I chose Penetrating randomly...I wasn't sure how to define her "vorpal" katana...the things hacks limb and bone as well as a lightsaber. But bloodier. :)[/quote']

Use the Deadly Blow/Blademaster Talent from FANTASY HERO and DARK CHAMPIONS. Extra 1d6 of HKA, only with katana.

Oh, another thing to prolly put on the katana (or perhaps leave out): no 'real weapon' limitation. Just the focus.

In other words, it can be disarmed, she can be without it, she still needs to ready it, but it can simultaneously cut flesh and steel, needs no sharpening, and avoids other bring-downs of reality.

This has nothing to do directly with Black Mamba, but at one point, while running a particularly deadly super-level campaign, I decided to come up with a function of blood volume to BODY, in order to get a Kill-Bill/Fist of the North Star sort of flavor going. We came up with an average of half a liter per 1 BODY. This was a campaign with characters who had a lot of BODY.

Of course, this isn't factoring in the fact that you're still up and kicking past 0 BODY. That just means that the average person really has at least 10 litres of blood in this sort of campaign.

Most of which gets splattered on the walls and floor. :eg:

Oh, another thing to prolly put on the katana (or perhaps leave out): no 'real weapon' limitation. Just the focus.

In other words, it can be disarmed, she can be without it, she still needs to ready it, but it can simultaneously cut flesh and steel, needs no sharpening, and avoids other bring-downs of reality.

Most weapons in anime, manga, and HK cinema work this way. As to many American action film weapons.

Well' date=' I think it was a twisted take on the old anime "school girl" heroine. In short, I thought she was written to be annoying....because most of the heroic sterotypes on which Go-Go was based are also similiarly annoying.[/quote']

I agree that the hero charactes Go-Go was based on are anoying. But they are anoying because that's what the character is supposed to be - anoying.

Not scary, not threatening, not imposing - anoying. Just like LOTS of teenage girls are anoying.

Go-Go was supposed to be threatening and scary. She was neither. She was trying to be threatening and scary. It just came across as bad acting. I'm willing to give the actress the benifit of the doubt, though, and say is was in fact bad writing.

I agree that the hero charactes Go-Go was based on are anoying. But they are anoying because that's what the character is supposed to be - anoying.

Not scary, not threatening, not imposing - anoying. Just like LOTS of teenage girls are anoying.

Go-Go was supposed to be threatening and scary. She was neither. She was trying to be threatening and scary. It just came across as bad acting. I'm willing to give the actress the benifit of the doubt, though, and say is was in fact bad writing.

No I don't think it was bad acting at all. As you say she was a teenage girl trying to come off as threatening and scary but not managing it, I think that's very much intentional. Possibly they were going for the dichtomy between her innocent appearence and her violent actions. The character of Go Go, in my opinion, is trying to hard to be scary which is why she can't achieve that effect. Were she to just let her actions speak for themselves, there'd be no problem.

The character of Go Go' date=' in my opinion, is trying to hard to be scary which is why she can't achieve that effect. Were she to just let her actions speak for themselves, there'd be no problem.[/quote']

No, if Terentino had just let her actions speak for themselves, there'd have been no problem.

Show her as the sexy little Japanese school girl - white shirt, plad skirt too short in the back that shows here white, ruffled panties, white thigh-high stockings. No garters, no pig tails, no knoting the shirt in the front to show cleavage. She's a school girl, not a stripper.

Then, when the time comes, she pulls out an ice pick or a straight razor and gacks somebody. No cutsiy faces or lamb one-liners - right down to business. Then she goes after Uma.

Movies are a visual medium. You've set up in the voice over that she's young, sexy and a killer. The audience has already seen the first two, now just show them the third.

Anything else detracts.

Show her as the sexy little Japanese school girl - white shirt, plad skirt too short in the back that shows here white, ruffled panties, white thigh-high stockings. No garters, no pig tails, no knoting the shirt in the front to show cleavage. She's a school girl, not a stripper.

Then, when the time comes, she pulls out an ice pick or a straight razor and gacks somebody. No cutsiy faces or lamb one-liners - right down to business. Then she goes after Uma.

Movies are a visual medium. You've set up in the voice over that she's young, sexy and a killer. The audience has already seen the first two, now just show them the third.

Anything else detracts.

O-Ren's the main villain of Part 1, not Go Go. You make Go Go look to good and it detracts from the main battle with O-Ren later. YOu don't want to have the henchmen overshadow thier employers after all. O-Ren was the main target, all Go Go was was an obstacle along that path.

But is unlikely to also be able to cut through metal.

That ability may, however, be best represented through a 'weapon break' maneuver or something like that.

Ah yes...now I recall. She DID smash other swords on occasion. I'd still leave this up to called shots and the like. Giving the sword Penetrating would be too reliable....and it's not like EVERY sword she struck broke. Wow...the more I think about the more I realize The Bride would be uber strong even for a superheroic game. Only real drawback is lack of an "real" powers and no true resistant defenses.

Rob

Ah yes...now I recall. She DID smash other swords on occasion. I'd still leave this up to called shots and the like. Giving the sword Penetrating would be too reliable....and it's not like EVERY sword she struck broke. Wow...the more I think about the more I realize The Bride would be uber strong even for a superheroic game. Only real drawback is lack of an "real" powers and no true resistant defenses.

Rob

Yeah, that's why I suggested a weapon break maneuver. It's too easy, in game stats, to have an attack that always happens, instead of happening infrequently. When trying to simulate a genre film, this is, to me, a problem. Removing 'real weapon' and giving it chunky damage and her a weapon break maneuver (or some targetting levels) should suffice. :)

(In regards to the other discussion, on Go-go... you guys are on drugs. She rocked. She was cute, and pretty, and INSANE. I totally bought her as a threat, especially with that weapon of hers. That's my opinion, anyway. :)

Yeah, that's why I suggested a weapon break maneuver. It's too easy, in game stats, to have an attack that always happens, instead of happening infrequently. When trying to simulate a genre film, this is, to me, a problem. Removing 'real weapon' and giving it chunky damage and her a weapon break maneuver (or some targetting levels) should suffice. :)

(In regards to the other discussion, on Go-go... you guys are on drugs. She rocked. She was cute, and pretty, and INSANE. I totally bought her as a threat, especially with that weapon of hers. That's my opinion, anyway. :)

Hey I didn't say I disliked Go-Go, I was just giving suggestions as to why she might've appeared the way she did to phydaux. I thought she served her role in the movie quite admirably. Threatening as she needed to be, without overshadowing O-Ren, who was also cute and pretty. :D

Who here has ever seen Arnold/Stalone/Bruce Willis/Chow Yun Fat reload a weapon before all the bad guys were dead?

Arnold? No. Bruce and Yun-Fat? Yes. Bruce Willis even goes so far to load what looks like 20 clips or more for his M1911s in LAST MAN STANDING, while you see Chow Yun-Fat reloads his shotgun (and other weapons) over the course of HARD BOILED. Similar scenes happen (IIRC) in DIE HARD and FULL CONTACT. But this is also a director thing, as well.

I'm not trying to say there was anything wrong with the character concept. The character fit in with all the other characters, the genera, etc.

I'm saying that the like where she says:

"*giggle* You can scream better than that. AND YOU WILL."

was either very poorly executed or very poorly written.

I go with poorly written, since as long as the actress kept her mouth shut nothing was wrong.

FWIW, I also think Kevin Smith tends to overwrite a lot of his dialog.

I'm not trying to say there was anything wrong with the character concept. The character fit in with all the other characters, the genera, etc.

I'm saying that the like where she says:

"*giggle* You can scream better than that. AND YOU WILL."

was either very poorly executed or very poorly written.

I go with poorly written, since as long as the actress kept her mouth shut nothing was wrong.

FWIW, I also think Kevin Smith tends to overwrite a lot of his dialog.

Quentin may have been trying to capture the feel of the source material -- which wasn't any great shakes in the dialogue department either. Or not. I've only seen the film once so far (waiting for the dbl. DVD set), so I can't recall the line.

Personally I also liked Go-Go...cute AND deadly. Total package. Yes, O-ren was the main target, but Go-Go was actually more of a threat to The Bride than her boss turned out to be. O-Ren spent too much time sniping and not enough time gutting... :tsk:

Also....

The actress that played Go-Go also played one of the psychotic survivors in the orginal Battle Royale movie. So, she has some experience in playing whack-jobs....

Personally I also liked Go-Go...cute AND deadly. Total package. Yes' date=' O-ren was the main target, but Go-Go was actually more of a threat to The Bride than her boss turned out to be. O-Ren spent too much time sniping and not enough time gutting... :tsk:[/quote']