Need help building a set of powers...

Susano

Okay, before we get started two things.

One: I'm dead serious here. This post isn't a sick joke.

Two: The following might offend some people. Please keep that in mind.

Thank you.

In Japanese folklore, the tanuki (a form of dog, here, it means a badger), is known for its immense scrotum. Said body part can be as large as 144 square feet (12' x 12' or roughly AOE: One Hex). It can use its scrotum as a drum (pounding on it), as an umbrella, a kimono (robe), or even wrap it around a man's neck and strangle him with it.

I'm curious as to some opinions as how to express this in power form.

I was thinking of the following powers:

AOE: Hex on STR; Only With Extra Limb

Extra Limb, Inherent

naked NND on STR; Only With Extra Limb (choking attack)

Images; Gestures (must pound scrotum)

Any thoughts here? Other constructs or ideas?

Originally posted by Killer Shrike

Take Instant Change so he can wear his scrotum as a hat? :rolleyes:

Uh...I meant robe.....

Im just at loss what you would want to use such a ....entity...for in a game?

Err... this is for an offical HERO product?

Tanuki are one of several tricksters in Japanese lore. The others are the kitsune, and the tengu. And the tanuki can be quite lethal. So... if you are running a fantasy game set in Japan, or some facsimile, and you want to be accurate...

And I'm striving for accuracy.

Besides, I haven't even metioned the flying head guys...

Originally posted by Killer Shrike

Im familiar with the flying heads (the ones with trailing entrails? Hopping Vampires IIRC?) but badgers with spectacularly super-useful scrotums had some how escaped my notice ;)

Actually, the flying heads you are thinking of are Malaysian. I haven't even gotten to them yet. And hopping vampires might be more HK cinema than Chinese folklore. Might...

I think I just gained an insight into Japanese culture. :rolleyes:

I would say that for this special effect, "Only with extra limb" and "Gestures" aren't quite the appropriate Limitations. I'd go with Restrainable instead, since these abilities are clearly generated by a particular body part, which should be immobilizable with a successful Grab. (And that's all I want to say about that.)

Images for the drumming sounds about right, if it has no other effect than the creation of sound. Similarly, if the umbrella and kimono "configuration" have no function other than the mundane (e.g. no insulating properties for the kimono), then I agree with Killer Shrike that the Instant Change Transform would be appropriate.

What would be the possibility of other Powers for this effect, like Entangle vs one target at a time, or perhaps Darkness requiring the tanuki to throw his scrotum over the victim's head? (I am really glad I didn't have to say that out loud.) :o You could combine the effects into a sense-blocking Entangle if desired.

Originally posted by Zaratustra

An umbrella scrotum is quite obviously either a Force Wall or a Force Field, only vs. attacks from above.

I'm still baffled as how he can pound on it without feeling PAIN.

He's a supernatural being. What else can I say?

maybe this link can help to understand the abilities of the critter.

According to the text; th Tanuki can use his ... er ... things as parachute;

this adds some hexes of Gliding to the powers.

the balls are also supposed to bring good fortune so i guess it would be some dices of luck with the "restrainable" limitation.

the drum effect should be, as you said : images vs hearing group, fixed effect, restrainable.

hope this helps

The more I think about it, the more I come to believe that this character just shouldn't need to pay for an Images Power.

Unless the ability to make a noise by pounding on its nads has some significant effect on the game, it doesn't really make any sense to have to buy it as a Power. After all, a normal person wouldn't have to pay points for their ability to make noise by shouting or clapping their hands.

It just seems like you'd be using the system where it's just not required.

Originally posted by Yamo

The more I think about it, the more I come to believe that this character just shouldn't need to pay for an Images Power.

Unless the ability to make a noise by pounding on its nads has some significant effect on the game, it doesn't really make any sense to have to buy it as a Power. After all, a normal person wouldn't have to pay points for their ability to make noise by shouting or clapping their hands.

It just seems like you'd be using the system where it's just not required.

Ahhh... but the drumming sound is/was supposed to be heard for miles. It also was hypnotic -- much like a will-o-the-wisp is -- enticing the foolhardy to come search for the source of the sound.

I figured that deserved a power slot.

Originally posted by Shadow Stalker

I do have a question: is this beast used in what kind of campaign? I can't imagine players keeping thier laughter contained. "You're being attacked by a racoon thats more manly than you!"

A fantasy Japan setting. There was a Studio Ghibli film about a clan of tanuki released in 1994 or so. Apparently the tanuki were trying to save their land from development. And they do bear on the bellies/scrotums (among other stunts).