More space news!

tkdguy

Well, it is a European crater. ;)

We Europeans are leaving our marks everywhere!

I agree. And no one is talking about it because Hillary Clinton locked herself in her hotel room in a drunken rage and our president elect likes to grab the opposite sex by the crotch.

I can highly advice this Blog post on why TV News is waste of human effort (and it is not even the newscasters fault):

Why TV News is a Waste of Human Effort: One Example Worth a Trillion Dollars — CGP Grey

I agree. And no one is talking about it because Hillary Clinton locked herself in her hotel room in a drunken rage and our president elect likes to grab the opposite sex by the crotch.

Can we please keep politics out of this thread? I already unsubscribed from the one in the NGD. And I really don't want to stop following this thread, which I started, btw.

Can we please keep politics out of this thread? I already unsubscribed from the one in the NGD. And I really don't want to stop following this thread, which I started, btw.

The Thread is called "More Space news!".

And they just discussed why there was so little news regarding space. Mainly a certain political decision in one of the biggest world economies and Space exploring nations.

While I agree that we should not discuss politics at lenght (unless they pertain to space news), you might be a bit over-reacting in this case.

Cheers.

Climate change is a bit more terestial as far as problems go. But scientists recently found not one, but two ways to combat the greenhouse gasses:

Seeweed removes the Methane from Cow Farts almost entirely:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/prince-edward-island/pei-cow-farting-1.3856202

And CO² can be turned into Ethanol in one single, cheap, scaleable step:

http://www.popularmechanics.com/science/green-tech/a23417/convert-co2-into-ethanol/

Especially as a Energy Storage, ethanol might be interesting here.

The EM drive officially passed peer review. Now to test it in space.

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.space.com/34797-impossible-space-engine-emdrive-study-published.html

I hate to be the wet blanket but these people, and all of NASA, should be ashamed for allowing this paper to be published.  The data literally doesn't show any thrust signal, and then they say that the thrust signal is being obscured by thermal expansion.  IOW their experiment is so sloppy it proves nothing.  They even admit to rerunning the experiment until they manage to get a signal by attaching some plastic components to the side of the frustum, and don't even try to explain why that would matter.

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof, and this isn't even ordinary proof, or proof of anything, other than that the experimenters have preconceived notions about how their experiment should turn out.  And this paper follows the preceding experiment where the measured thrust direction was exactly opposite to the thrust from the original experiment.

More on the sloppiness here.

I hate to be the wet blanket but these people, and all of NASA, should be ashamed for allowing this paper to be published. The data literally doesn't show any thrust signal, and then they say that the thrust signal is being obscured by thermal expansion. IOW their experiment is so sloppy it proves nothing. They even admit to rerunning the experiment until they manage to get a signal by attaching some plastic components to the side of the frustum, and don't even try to explain why that would matter.

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof, and this isn't even ordinary proof, or proof of anything, other than that the experimenters have preconceived notions about how their experiment should turn out. And this paper follows the preceding experiment where the measured thrust direction was exactly opposite to the thrust from the original experiment.

More on the sloppiness here.

Their last tests were done in a vacuum, so no heated air to expand, and they still measured thrust. Thus, why they went ahead with the paper. The peer review process in this case is merely a formality because they are already building a functional prototype to test in space most probably sometime in 2017, so I think these engineers are pretty confident in its potential.

It might not work. But there isnt a damned thing wrong with testing to see if it does.

What does heated air have to do with anything?  And it's not at all clear that they measured thrust, when what signal they did get is so noisy and doesn't match what would ordinarily be expected, and when so little effort was made to rule out thermal effects.  All they had to do was put the thing on a balance and turn it on and measure the CG shift.

There's nothing wrong with further testing, but only if that testing is going to be way less sloppy than it has been so far.  Otherwise it's just going to waste more time and money and not answer anything.  Measuring a force in ten-thousandths of a gram is not going to be easier remotely, in hard vacuum, with limited telemetry, after a violent rocket launch.  The logical next step is a finely made apparatus in an abandoned salt mine in Nevada, not the hard radiation and vacuum of orbit.