More space news!

tkdguy

• 3 weeks later...

September 2022 Scientific American has a set of articles on advances in black hole research. Necessarily mostly theoretical, but there's an article on imaging the supermassive black hole at the center of the Milky Way.

One group of theorists thinks they have solved the "Black Hole Information Paradox." Just like every other article I've read on the subject, though, their explanation of what the paradox *is* is clear as mud. (I *think* I've worked out what the information paradox is, but I can't be sure without bouncing it off a real physicist.) All I can figure out from the article is that there's so much quantum entanglement going on that it warps space to make wormholes -- so much that most of the black hole's inside is actually outside, but you can't say exactly where.

Another article discusses the "Cosmological Event Horizon." Because the universe is expanding (and apparently accelerating), there is a distance at which the expansion hits the speed of light. Therefore, no signal can reach you from that distance or greater. The theoretical resemblances to a black hole's event horizon apparently run deep enough that physicists think studying one might help explain the other. The CEH should even emit  Hawking radiation. Unlike a black hole's event horizon, though, the cosmological event horizon is personaql for each viewer.

There's also some stuff about the Holographic Universe hypothesis, in which three-dimensional space everges or is somehow encoded in two-dimensional surfaces, but I confess I didn't understand much of that, either. Some subjects may just be too difficult to explain in the word count allotted to a magazine article.

Dean Shomshak

• 1 month later...

https://gizmodo.com/loftid-inflatable-heat-shield-nasa-splashdown-1849768136

The LOFTID seems to have splashed down in good shape, and was still inflated when the recovery boat went to pick it up.  Well this will be a very important technology going forward.

I also see this as a viable option for Orbital drops for space troops.

What's up with the James Webb Space Telescope? The December, 2022 issue of Scientific American features a set of articles about the JWST, with gobs of gorgeous pictures (and a bit of explanation how the pictures were made, given the telescope looks in infrared). Preliminary "deep field" studies already have cosmologists scratching their heads, because they seem to be showing galaxies that are too big and too well developed to exist so early in the universe. However, that article also mentions some possible confounding features. But the Webb also looks at objects nearer to Earth, such as an image of aurorae on Jupiter and methane ice clouds on Neptune.

Dean Shomshak

The James Webb Telescope, when looking at Red Shifted  distant galaxies, that have gone into the infrared, due to their speed, have found that there are galaxies receding so fast that they are surpassing the speed of light.  That indicates a very much larger universe than previously thought.  It also put a lot of theories back into question.