More space news!

tkdguy

On 3/14/2021 at 1:12 AM, Lord Liaden said:

I was hoping it meant the whole universe is a living organism, maybe conscious and thinking. IOW a scientific approach to God. (And yeah, that would also make for a cool game-world universe.)

This next is actually a serious story, but the jokes just spring effortlessly from the title: Proposed ‘Moon Ark’ would shoot sperm into space to save the Earth.

I refer you to this Kurt Vonnegut story 

Heard this on All Things Considered. This article has a bit more information.

• Rare plutonium from space found in deep-sea crust | Live Science

www.livescience.com/rare-plutonium-heavy-metal...

A rare type of plutonium has been found in the crust below the deep sea, offering new clues as to how heavy metals form in star explosions and mergers. ... (1,500 meters) below the Pacific Ocean ...

Also: Rare radioactive elements from outer space, created only in the most cataclysmic stellar events, extracted from the ocean floor? That's a superhero scenario that practically writes itself.

Dean Shomshak

• 3 weeks later...
17 hours ago, tkdguy said:

I heard NASA passed over missions to Neptune and Jupiter's moons in favor of these missions.

Venus is a hellhole. Even if we find out everything about it, it's not like we could use the information for anything given our current level of technology and likely advances.

Jupiter's moons on the other hand, could give us usable valuable information.

I dunno... I'm disinclined to think we know everything valuable about a whole planet permanently shrouded in clouds, until we get there.

I remember when scientists widely assumed the deepest, lightless parts of our own oceans were lifeless wastelands, until we actually went there and found thriving ecosystems around volcanic vents. Our understanding of how life, uh, finds a way was greatly expanded by that discovery.

You could make a case for more study of any other world in the Solar System, from Mercury out to the Kuiper Belt, even much-studied bodies such as the Moon and Mars. I don't envy the budget-strapped planners who must pick and choose. I personally favor Uranus and Neptune because they've only been visited once, decades ago, when we didn't even know what questions to ask. But Venus is important too. It's similar to Earth in mass and composition, but radically different in rotation, not to mention lacking a moon and receiving about 50% more sunlight. (I think the scientist who called it "functionally identical" to Earth is stretching things a bit.) Even if our interest is focused on finding life on other worlds, which of Venus' initial differences resulted in its current condition? And if it can be shown that Venus once had a potentially life-supporting environment, why, that's three planets in one solar system. It bodes well for the prospects of life in other solar systems.

Oh, and a mission to Enceladus. Gotta go to Enceladus to investigate its subsurface ocean!

Dean Shomshak

On 6/19/2021 at 10:13 PM, tkdguy said:

I heard NASA passed over missions to Neptune and Jupiter's moons in favor of these missions.

Picking missions happens for a large ensemble of missions.  Sometimes it has as much to do with technological developments that make for a suddenly greater opportunity to gain information; sometimes simple orbital geometry weighs against missions to the outer Solar System with the gravitational slingshot opportunities varying (e.g., it might be you launch in 2030 and get there in 2038; or you could wait to launch until 2032 and still get there in 2038).  And sometimes it's political in ways I only barely perceive.  It wouldn't surprise me if additional missions to the Jupiter system are being delayed while the Juno mission is still in operation -- its recent close pass of Ganymede gave better-than-ever-before data on that moon, and you want to digest that, and other data to come in the ongoing mission, before deciding what instrument package to load up and send.

11 hours ago, Lord Liaden said:

I dunno... I'm disinclined to think we know everything valuable about a whole planet permanently shrouded in clouds, until we get there.

I remember when scientists widely assumed the deepest, lightless parts of our own oceans were lifeless wastelands, until we actually went there and found thriving ecosystems around volcanic vents. Our understanding of how life, uh, finds a way was greatly expanded by that discovery.

I've heard a persuasive case that there's kilotons of gold at the Earth core. But since we can't access the Earth's core, we can't access the value.

Not arguing there's nothing of value on Venus. I'm arguing that we can't use it because we can't get to it.

Now is there information? Sure. But there's information literally everywhere we might go.

14 hours ago, archer said:

I've heard a persuasive case that there's kilotons of gold at the Earth core. But since we can't access the Earth's core, we can't access the value.

Not arguing there's nothing of value on Venus. I'm arguing that we can't use it because we can't get to it.

Yet.