Looking for Spidery names ... sort of.

CrosshairCollie

I'm brainstorming an idea for a villain team. They have a spider-based team emblem, web-motif uniforms, and they all have Spider-like names ... however, none of them really have spider-like powers, which is the trick.

So far, I have ...

Daddy Longlegs -- Stretching, only in the legs.

Spinnerette -- Spinning speedster (a la Marvel's Whirlwind)

Trapdoor -- Teleporter

Can anybody think of any other good names on this motif, that both relate to spiders and relate to another power concept?

Re: Looking for Spidery names ... sort of.

Silk: A martial artist who only has his skill when wearing his magic pajamas.

Forget that. I had a member of the Shite ("Hand of Death) Ninja clan named Silk. Her abilities were to project chi into cloth. She can cause ribbons to cut through steal, or even entangle a person with there clothing just by touching there clothed body.

Brown Recluse - invisibility/camouflage powers.Funnel Spider - well' date=' I dunno. but they're cool, so you should use them [i']somehow[/i]. maybe Funnel Spider could be an Australian Ninja?
Maybe Funnel Spider could have Tunneling at range - create funnels underneath foes?

Arachnaphobia(like RobertEdwards suggested) is good.

Tarantula has been done a lot, but that's because it works.

Beyond that, it's kind of a crap shoot. You can name one after a spider species, but most just don't sound right(IMO). Maybe base the names off of powers instead(e.g. Madame Web, which hs also been done admittedly, but there aren't many good spider names out there).

Arachnaphobia(like RobertEdwards suggested) is good.

Tarantula has been done a lot, but that's because it works.

Beyond that, it's kind of a crap shoot. You can name one after a spider species, but most just don't sound right(IMO). Maybe base the names off of powers instead(e.g. Madame Web, which hs also been done admittedly, but there aren't many good spider names out there).

Well, there is The Web. And The Cobweb also. But beyond that...there is not much out there with spiders.

Sounds like my old hopeless villain team who showed up just to make the superheroes look good The Chicken Gang.

Gamecock (scrapper with claws)

Chicken Little (indirect EB vs PD)

Spring Chicken (the power to leap really far, nothing else)

S.D. (no powers, just wore a chicken costume and played practical jokes)

...you know, only cooler.

Let's not forget mythology. Particularly the african god Anansi, who's a spider god and a trickster. It's been used before, but what hasn't :)

http://www.pantheon.org/articles/a/anansi.html

Perhaps use the carribeanized version of the name: Annecy

Looking around I also see Dijen, a Senneca indian figure who sounds like he'd make a great brick

http://www.pantheon.org/articles/d/djien.html

Maybe Funnel Spider could be an Australian Ninja?

Nooooooooo!!!! We've already had Seeker, please learn from the mistake!!!

If you want an Aussie spider, try "Redback". At least you get a cool uniform (black, with vertical red stripe on the back and front). The Redback is a member of the Black Widow family, so whatever powers you think are appropriate for a Black Widow work for the Redback.

Another common Australian spider is the 'Huntsman'. They are large ground-dwellers that don't spin webs. However, the name can apply to any character with hunting/tracking/stealth skills/powers.

Wolfspider : four-armed werewolf

Argyroneta (water spider) : water-gliding speedster.

Orb Weaver : magic user

Tegenaria (house spider) : shrinking (?), or evil mastermind with a huge base ("i'm waiting at the center of the web")

Egg Sac : gadgeteer

Do you have a team name? An overall goal of the team? That might help direct things.

A good team name either means something in and of itself, symbolizes something, or is an acronym. Their goals also help define the name, which in turn might help focus the names/powers of its members.

By the way, remember that scorpions, mites and ticks are all related to spiders.