Star Wars conversions: Stormtroopers questions

Badger

Yes, earlier today I pulled out my old Star Wars role playing game book (2nd edition) and looked through it. Anyway I decided to do some conversions based on stats in the book. The first one I am doing is the stormtrooper template. I am having difficulties in some areas on comparison.

DEX and STR? In this book they have stormtroopers listed with 3D for DEX and 2D for STR. Exactly how much would that be in HERO terms.

And the other problems come in with weapons and armor.

For their blaster: it is listed as 5D damage. It seems 5D of damage in HERO terms might be a bit much for those things (I may be wrong) so what would be accurate?

The armor isnt too difficult necessarily except for the listed +2D vs physical and +1D vs energy. I know this would pertain to PD and ED. But how much is it in HERO terms.

For the rest of the template I have pretty much figured out most things in HERO terms. (i.e. blaster skill: 4D could be a CSL w/blasters, dodge 4D could be a Def. Maneuver area thing, I guess there other ways but this is off top of head)

Sorry, do be so confused and confusing but I dont have a way to compare it. But, once I know how everything works the other templates should be easy, hopefully. (kind of like the metric system once I found out how many inches are in a meter it made sense)

So anybody done this before and can help?

Extra note: My plan is too make Stormtroopers more of an "Imperial version" of the Marines rather than silly Ewok cannon fodder. (Damn Ewoks!!)

Re: Star Wars conversions: Stormtroopers questions

I would forget about anything from the old WEG Star Wars, the system is WAY different than Hero, way different than pretty much everything.

Storm Troopers should pretty much be normals, all 10s for scores with weapon fams for whatever weapons they carry and a 1 point skill level at whatever job they do.

Whatever their armor is the movies showed it to be almost completely ineffective. I would lean towards perhaps 1PD/2ED armor. As for Blasters, 2D6 RKA would be about right, as blaster shots usually kill unnamed characters, but named characters always seem to survive them.

As you'll see in the post below, Eosin's fine Stormtrooper writeup has been scrambled by the HTML code on these forums having been disabled. I've taken the liberty of reconstructing the writeup and am posting it here so that people can still make use of it. From past experience I'm confident that Eosin won't mind. :)

I'll paste the text of the writeup in this field, which won't look as pretty as the original format but will be clearly legible at a glance. I'll also Attach the writeup as a RTF Document file, which does preserve the original formatting. I hope you find it useful. Take it away, Eosin:

-------------------------------------------------

STORMTROOPER

Val Char Cost

10 STR 0

11 DEX 3

10 CON 0

8 BODY -4

8 INT -2

8 EGO -4

11 PRE 1

10 COM 0

2 PD 0

2 ED 0

3 SPD 9

4 REC 0

20 END 0

18 STUN 0

6" RUN 0

2" SWIM 0

2" LEAP 0

Characteristics Cost: 3

Cost Power END

12 Communications Gear: Mind Link , Any Willing Target, No LOS Needed, Number of Minds (x128) (60 Active Points); Independent (-2), (Only with others who have comm gear.; -1), IAF (-1/2), Does Not Provide Mental Awareness (-1/4), Extra Time (Delayed Phase, Only to Activate, -1/4) 0

Powers Cost: 12

Cost Skill

0 PS: Storm Trooper 8-

1 KS: Imperial Bureaucratics 8-

1 Bureaucratics 8-

1 Electronics 8-

1 Mechanics 8-

1 Streetwise 8-

1 Systems Operation (Communications Systems) 8-

2 WF: Beam Weapons

1 +1 with Blasters

Skills Cost: 9

Cost Perk

2 Fringe Benefit: Local Police Powers

Perks Cost: 2

Total Character Cost: 26

Val Disadvantages

25 Social Limitation: Subject to Orders (Very Frequently, Severe)

15 Distinctive Features: (Concealable; Always Noticed and Causes Major Reaction; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses)

Disadvantage Points: 40

Base Points: 100

Experience Required: 0

Total Experience Available: 0

Experience Unspent: 0

A quick stab at Original Storm Troopers [episodes IV, V, & VI] =

STORMTROOPER

Val Char Cost
10 STR 0
11 DEX 3
10 CON 0
8 BODY -4
8 INT -2
8 EGO -4
11 PRE 1
10 COM 0
2 PD 0
2 ED 0
3 SPD 9
4 REC 0
20 END 0
18 STUN 0
6" RUN02" SWIM02" LEAP0Characteristics Cost: 3

Cost Power END
12 Communications Gear: Mind Link , Any Willing Target, No LOS Needed, Number of Minds (x128) (60 Active Points); Independent (-2), (Only with others who have comm gear.; -1), IAF (-1/2), Does Not Provide Mental Awareness (-1/4), Extra Time (Delayed Phase, Only to Activate, -1/4) 0
Powers Cost: 12

Cost Skill
0 PS: Storm Trooper 8-
1 KS: Imperial Bureaucratics 8-
1 Bureaucratics 8-
1 Electronics 8-
1 Mechanics 8-
1 Streetwise 8-
1 Systems Operation (Communications Systems) 8-
2 WF: Beam Weapons
1 +1 with Blasters
Skills Cost: 9

Cost Perk
2 Fringe Benefit: Local Police Powers
Perks Cost: 2

Total Character Cost: 26

Val Disadvantages
25 Social Limitation: Subject to Orders (Very Frequently, Severe)
15 Distinctive Features: (Concealable; Always Noticed and Causes Major Reaction; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses)

Disadvantage Points: 40

Base Points: 100

Experience Required: 0

Total Experience Available: 0

Experience Unspent: 0

Whoops, I forgot 1 rPD/1 rED Armor.

Depending on the game, the SPD could be lowered to 2.

I would almost certainly lower the speed, or at least buy back some running, otherwise the average storm trooper would be able to run WAY TOO FAST.

Although that is more of a general Hero system problem then a genre specific one. There are plenty of character types who certainly justify a 3 or 4 speed, but WITHOUT the Olympic sprinting abilities that a 3 or 4 speed provide when mated to even the default 6" of running.

If I recall correctly, 2D6 in a stat was considered baseline human, and 4D6 was as high as a human could go without being somewhat not human anymore. So 2D6 would be 10, 3D6 15, and 4D6 20.

Another thing to remember about the old SW system (again, if I remember correctly) is that the attackers damage roll has to exceed the defender's CON (or whatever) roll before it does anything, and how much it exceeded by determined the severity of the wound. Oh, and smaller wounds added up to larger ones, ie 16 cosmetics = 8 minor = 4 serious = 2 grievous = death

ie

Damage roll is less than CON roll : Cosmetic wound only, no actual penalties.

Damage roll is CON roll +0-4 : Minor wound, minor penalties (Impairment)

Damage roll is COn roll +5-9 : Serious wound, major penalties (Disablement)

Damage roll is CON roll +10-14 : Grievous wound, character unconscious and near death.

Damage roll is CON +15 or more : Character killed outright.

So an average unarmored human has 2D6 of defence built in, and the averate blaster bolt from a 5D6 blaster would do just over 10 more than their defence roll, delivering a grievous wound. In Hero terms, this would make the 5d6 blaster more like a 3D6 killing attack (just enough to deliver a disabling wound in a blow, on average, to an unarmored normal)

Heroes might have a higher CON/defence roll to start with, making them much harder to kill or wound, even when unarmored. Armor simply added dice to the defence roll. I would count every d6 of armor as 3 rPD or rED.

I would also recall that the ewoks (3 feet tall, 50-100 lbs, tops) were originally supposed to be wookiees (7 feet tall, 300+ lbs) when considering the effectiveness of their melee weapons against stormtroopers. Lucas' original conception of wookiees was that they were on the Ewok level of tech and culture, and that Chewbacca was an exception, taken as a youngling and raised (a slave) in galactic society, but he decided that they had become too familiar to audiences as sophisticated, technically advanced, and gentle people (thankyou star wars christmas special) to play the native uprising role, so he just changed their size/look to make them cute, cuddly, and kid-friendly without changing the storyline that had them beating the poop out of the stormtroopers.

Edit : The more I think about it, the more I come to the conclusion that allowing characters to buy their BODY up to 20, or even 15, screws up the whole damage system in non-superheroic campaigns.

Ok Eosin's write up shows that I am closer to the mark than I thought I was. I have a couple characteristics computing out as a little more powerful which is ok (I dont want them complete cannon fodder anyway). i had even created the communications link up as a mind link (cool, wasnt only one that thought of that :) ). This is starting to make a bit of sense here. Might be ver close to finding the # of inches in this metric system, LOL.

This hearkens to the Stormtrooper thread in the Hero System forum. Personally I'd treat STs as very good shock troops, like Marines. Definitely higher stats than Eosin's writeup. Write off 75% of their "missed" laser bolts in the films to covering fire, suppression fire, etc. When you've got a blaster with unlimited shots, you're not losing anything by that. They're not so much trying to wipe out the heroes as drive them into a tactical disadvantage. When they cut loose (in the blockade runner at the beginning of Star Wars, against the Rebels on Hoth, etc.) they do extremely well. When they're fighting in the Death Star, though, they can't really cut loose - they're inside their own battle station. When they're chasing Leia and Chewie through Cloud City, they're pursuing two fugitives that Vader had specifically ordered taken to his ship - who's gonna tell Vader they were the one to kill his prisoners?

Also their armor is very useful, as I reckon it. For one thing it's more like a bulletproof vest than an inpenetrable force field - it doesn't prevent all damage but it does reduce injury dramatically. In all probability most of the STs in the films woke up with burns and bruises after getting shot, as opposed to dying or getting dunked in a Bacta tank to heal. In swashbuckling game combat the distinction between "dead" and "unconscious but uninjured" is largely negligible, but in warfare that would make all the difference. Plus the armor is a space suit (the reason for its original design in movie pre-production, and just recently shown in action on the Clone Wars cartoon) which means it's also an environmental suit for lots of other settings. It also provides communications, and don't forget the "utility belt" with the cool swingline that Luke took advantage of in the first movie.

The only anomaly here is the Ewok battle. I'm willing to write that off to bad filmmaking. I think the idea was that the Imperial troops were vastly outnumbered and out of their element. (That's one "special edition" feature I'd welcome Lucas explicitly adding.)

Note that even in the Ewok battle, the Stormtroopers weren't getting caned until the Ewoks started doing some very nasty things (triggering their huge log traps, for instance). The small rocks tended to just make them fall over, the arrows sometimes bothered them, sometimes didn't (I'd put that down to whether they found a joint or not). We only explicitly saw one Ewok killed, but I'd say at LEAST a half-dozen died on screen, and who knows how many off-screen.

We also didn't see any of the Rebels (aside from the main characters) after the start of the battle. Can't discount what they were doing.

Basically, for the first part of the battle, the ewoks really were little more than a distraction that seemed to be getting the crap blown out of them. In the second half, they pulled it together and actually began destroying AT-STs and killing troopers.

Everyone's always down on the Ewoks. Everyone says "look at the little teddy bears...how disgusting". No one seems to remember that these Ewoks were about to eat Han, Luke, and company when they first captured them, and no one seems to remember that at the end of the movie, at the Ewoks' feast, they were playing music on stormtrooper helmets.

What were these Ewoks feasting on? Creepy. :stupid:

Everyone's always down on the Ewoks. Everyone says "look at the little teddy bears...how disgusting". No one seems to remember that these Ewoks were about to eat Han, Luke, and company when they first captured them, and no one seems to remember that at the end of the movie, at the Ewoks' feast, they were playing music on stormtrooper helmets.

What were these Ewoks feasting on? Creepy. :stupid:

When you land on Baily's 7, you may not like what you see.

There are monsters back of every rock and up in every tree.

There are Demon Flies up in the skies and manticores beneath.

And, There's Little Fuzzy Animals With Big Sharp Teeth!

There are Little Fuzzy Animals,

Little Furry Animals,

Little Fuzzy Animals With Big Sharp Teeth!

Now, not all of the monsters there should fill you full of dread.

For the Demon Flies speak English and they love to scout ahead.

And the Manticores will pull you through the swamp and through the mud.

But, the Little Fuzzy Animals will drink your Blood!

Yes, the Little Fuzzy Animals,

Little Furry Animals,

Little Fuzzy Animals Will Drink Your Blood!

When nightfall comes to Baily's, with the darkness growing deep,

The music of the jungle night will lull you into sleep.

It's so restfull and so peaceful that you'll never feel the pain,

Of the Little Fuzzy Telepaths that eat your Brain!

Yes, the Little Fuzzy Telepaths,

Little Furry Telepaths,

Little Fuzzy Telepaths That Eat Your Brain!

So, when you go to Baily's now, you'll know what lies in store.

There are hordes of friendly fiends and gentle monsters there galore.

But, with all the cute and furry ones, you know what you must do.

Get those Little Fuzzy Buggers before they get you!

Get those Little Fuzzy Buggers,

Get those Little Furry Buggers,

Get those Little Fuzzy Buggers Before They Get You!

-- "Little Fuzzy Animals" by Frank Hayes

many years ago the LA Filkharmonics did a song to the tune of Teddy Bears Picnic about the ewoks

If you go out in the woods today

you'd better not dress in white

you're in for an awful fight

'cause every Ewok ever there was

is waiting there with weapons because

Today's the day the Teddy Bears fight the Empire.

See the little Ewoks there,

led by C3PO

they're creeping through the woods today

Catch storm troopers unawares,

and set the Rebels free to win the day

See them gaily lay about,

They love to slay and shout

they never have any cares.

They may be armed with arrows and bows

but they're still deadly foes

Because they're fierce little Teddy Bears.

you're in for an awful shock.

You may get tripped on a hidden vine

or crushed by a flying rock

The Ewoks may be terribly cute

but they are armed and know how to shoot

Today's the day the Teddy Bears fight the Empire.

Bolas, spears and catapults

they really get results

stormtroopers are getting chased around.

Ropes and pits and swinging logs

are sending walkers sprawling on the ground

What good are those laser-guns

they're outnumbered ten to one

the Empire's running scared!

When evening comes they'll dance and they'll sing

and celebrate victory

Because they're brave little Teddy Bears.

this version is by Steve Savitsky, I cant find the lyrics for the Filkharmonics version

• 2 months later...

Sorry, to bring this thread back from the dead. But, I finally just now got around to finishing up on my stormtrooper write-up. One final question in the Star Wars universe is the "blaster clip" (lack for a better term) "rechargeable" after it has been drained?

It will rarely matter, unless you're planning on stranding your players on a low tech world, or one with very strict laws regarding weapons. If it is a disposable powerpack, then they will doubtlessly be mass produced and be relatively cheap and easy to find. If it is a rechargable pack, then they will be not quite as easy to find, but will come with a recharging adapter that will fit a wide variety of power sources. And there are no shortages of power sources in the Star Wars universe.

Nope. But then I remember watching the movie Tombstone. And a drunk/stoned Curly Bill shot in the air about 17 times without enough time difference to suggest reloading. And seeing how 2 6-shooters would have a maximum 12 rounds......and when the current sheriff came to arrest he still had one more?

"if I ever play Wild West Hero I wants them guns" Badger ;)