What types of Skill Levels do YOU allow with Dive For Cover?

Hyper-Man

A couple of days ago I posted Dive For Cover Skill Level Question? to the Rules Thread asking Steve L. what types of Levels could be used with Dive For Cover and it turns out that Overall is the only combat type that can be applied to that manuever.

Here is Steve's answer:

No type of Combat Skill Level can be applied to improve the DEX Roll for Dive For Cover; CSLs improve CV, not DEX Rolls. Any type of Skill Level that improves the DEX Roll (not Agility Skill Rolls — DEX Rolls) can improve the DFC roll. Other types of Skill Levels, such as “All Noncombat Skills,†cannot improve the DFC roll, because it’s a DEX Roll, not a Skill Roll. The GM can, at his option, treat the DEX Roll as an “Agility Skill†roll, thus allowing 5-point Agility Skill Levels or 8-point All Non-Combat Skills Levels to apply, but this is not recommended.
Since there have been several other threads hashing out the differences between DFC, Dodge and Flying Dodge (please don't revisit this one!) I figured that several people either assumed or houseruled that 8 point All Combat Levels were usable (which is incorrect).

Ideas and thoughts welcome.

:cool:

HM

Re: What types of Skill Levels do YOU allow with Dive For Cover?

For myself? This is a scaling penalty, so I initially allowed PSL's to be applied to it (I allow PSL's to be applied to characteristic rolls and skill rolls). However, to say this trivialized the roll is putting it gently. I have since disallowed it.

Currently I'll allow 10pt "Overall" levels to be used for DFC, and skill levels bought explicitly for characteristic rolls. And to be honest, I'm currently toying with a rule to apply a stiffer penalty for DFC rolls vs non-area attacks.

For myself? This is a scaling penalty, so I initially allowed PSL's to be applied to it (I allow PSL's to be applied to characteristic rolls and skill rolls). However, to say this trivialized the roll is putting it gently. I have since disallowed it.

Currently I'll allow 10pt "Overall" levels to be used for DFC, and skill levels bought explicitly for characteristic rolls. And to be honest, I'm currently toying with a rule to apply a stiffer penalty for DFC rolls vs non-area attacks.

Just out of curiosity, have you ever considered adding some sort of DEX vs. DEX mechanic to the current DVC rules that would then allow use of any DCV applicable Combat Levels? Just a weird thought I've had....

HM

Just out of curiosity, have you ever considered adding some sort of DEX vs. DEX mechanic to the current DVC rules that would then allow use of any DCV applicable Combat Levels? Just a weird thought I've had....

HM

Yeah, that's on the list of a couple suggestions I've seen (might have been from you) I want to run through the paces the next time the group gets together.

Another suggestion that's been tossed my way by one of the playes is to start it as DEX vs DEX, with an l penalty of -2 for each successive DFC as per Block.

Another suggestion I want to run through the paces is to let the attacker make the attack roll, and how much it is made by is added as a penalty to the roll.

Area Attacks = the new Magic Missile

Is DFC over-used in your campaigns? I am just curious about your experiences.

I never really gave it much thought because area attacks have been, for whatever reason, rather rare in my campaigns.

DFC is rare in my campaigns, but, certainly in superhero games, where levels, especially high-point levels, are less of a bargain than just buying DEX, I'd let 10 point levels, 8 point 'all combat' levels and probably 5 point 'defence only' levels go in .

Why? Well, 3x8 point levels cost 24 points, which is what +8 DEX costs even if you ignore the saving you'd make if you were going to increase your SPEED anyway (as much as +11 DEX if you consider that saving...and most people spend some points on SPD), and +8 DEX is at least +2/+2 OCV/DCV and quite possibly +3/+3 or even +4/+4, plus it gives you +2 on all DEX based skills and rolls.

5 point levels are more efficient in some ways, but 3 of them costs 15 points, which is at least +5 DEX, possibly as much as +7 if you were going to save points on SPEED, so that's at least +2/+2 and +1 on DEX rolls and skills.

In a heroic game, I'd probably run with the rules as writ: having high DEX gets very expensive with normal characteristic maxima, so levels are more use and you don't have to hand out easter eggs for buying them

I'd allow Overall Levels to apply to DFC, and probably specific 3 point Levels as well. Probably not All Combat or Defense Only, although I'd consider it.

DFC is simply not used enough in our campaign to warrant all this soul searching and angst over it. :angst:

:D

DFC is simply not used enough in our campaign to warrant all this soul searching and angst over it.

Sorry to single you out here since you are certainly not the first one guilty of this but...99% of the shit posted on this board does not warrant all this soul searching and angst. People are just looking for other opinions.

Sorry to single you out here since you are certainly not the first one guilty of this but...99% of the shit posted on this board does not warrant all this soul searching and angst. People are just looking for other opinions.
And I gave my opinion on this topic as well. :D

That's maybe a fair comentary on the NGD but not really for the HSD. I like getting involved in core system rules discussions because they are the only avenue I currently have to help formulate my own 'house rules'. I plan to use them when I eventually get the chance to be a Hero-missionary out among the heathen gamers. I subscribe to the house-rule threads when I see them but they usually aren't that good for discussion as somebody always seems to get defensive about anyone questioning their particular version of them. I like the rule by rule approach as it is more concrete and allows more in depth analysis without usually hurting anyone's feelings*.

*Steve L. seems pretty thick skinned :D

HM

CSLs improve CV, not DEX Rolls

They can also add damage classes, but whatever.

A level with "all combat" should be applicable to any combat maneuver, especially considering its price. I don't mind banning DfC outright, or doing anything else a particular GM would like to reduce make it less of an all-or-nothing maneuver, but if I do allow it in a campaign then I will treat it as any other combat maneuver, including permitting the use of Overall Levels, All Combat Levels, and levels that are specifically purchased to aid in the use of DfC.

Having never really thought about it too much (perhaps I should have?!), but it is an interesting mechanic to think about.

In part, you should use allow the same sort of skill levels that you would allow to be used for the Breakfall skill, I would think (same type of mechanic, I guess?)

• 10 pt Overall Skill Levels (this can affect ANYTHING)
  • 8 pt w/ All Non-combat skills
  • 5 pt All Agility SKills (all DEX based skills?)
  • 3 pt Skill levels (grouping DFC in them... probably would only allow combinations with Breakfall, maybe Acrobatics, or the like).
  • 2 pt Skill Levels w/ DFC

I guess that I wouldn't allow combat skills levels to be used (as these specifically modify CVs). Have to think about that, but it does make sense.

While I don't allow CSLs to improve a DFC roll, I do allow characters to buy a +1 to DFC for 2 points (just like a CSL). Why? Because you can buy a +1 to any single Characteritsic Roll for only 2 points, and limiting it to just DFC should make it cost even less, but why bother nitpicking over a single point. +1 for 2 points sounds good. This is the only way I allow a bonus to DFC to be bought, however, but I allow the larger levelst to be used for it if they apply

RE: How often does it happen?.

/cliche on

TOO often :rolleyes:

/cliche off

Jokes aside, it depends on the scenario. Generally the players didn't bother with it vs normal attacks until I showed some of them the "Champions vs Viperia" rundown I did for the boards. I used the mechanic against them in the next scenario (which involved a "boss" battle) and none of us liked the result -- it felt cheap, and at least in my opinion turned the game into "who fails their roll first".

Its main effect is in the "boss battle" scenario; against mooks and the like it isn't necessary, and against similar size/power teams it's not worth the lost attack.

I would allow:

5pt Dex skill levels

Agility skill levels (levels to all Agility skills)

Overall Skill levels

8pt All Combat levels.

Why 8pt All Combat levels? Because Dive For Cover is a Combat Maneuver and All Combat levels can affect anything that has to do with combat :) Well, for the most part anway.

I also allow characters to use their Acrobatics skill in place of a simple Dex roll for DFC if they whish, in which case then any skill level that affects Acrobatics would apply to it.

I would also allow a character to purchase 2pt skill levels to increase Dive For Cover by themselves. I would also allow PSL's vs the Dive penalty for distance moved.

I it hasen't been an issue yet but right now I'm happy letting overall levels, combat levels and custom bought levels all work...I'd have no prob with PSl's either...though that might change after I see them in action...a custom build would be something like using 3 point levels for Dive for cover, leaping accuracy and Dodge (3 things that sort of are related)....

About making DFC less attractive:

Have you read the full rules? Once a character has used the DFC maneuver (successful or not) they are considered Prone i.e. are at 1/2DCV and must spend 1/2 Phase to recover to normal DCV. Btw, DFC is considered an Attack Action, which means using it ends your phase...you can't recover to full DCV until the beginning of your next phase!

Ouch, thats pretty harsh.

What I would do is those who fail their DFC rolls are considered to be only at 1/2DCV and are considered "in the air" when they are hit, so they take more knockback (subtract 1D6 from the KB roll!)

I think that should make it attractive only in an emergency.

I would allow:

5pt Dex skill levels

Agility skill levels (levels to all Agility skills)

Overall Skill levels

8pt All Combat levels.

Why 8pt All Combat levels? Because Dive For Cover is a Combat Maneuver and All Combat levels can affect anything that has to do with combat :) Well, for the most part anway.

I also allow characters to use their Acrobatics skill in place of a simple Dex roll for DFC if they whish, in which case then any skill level that affects Acrobatics would apply to it.

I would also allow a character to purchase 2pt skill levels to increase Dive For Cover by themselves. I would also allow PSL's vs the Dive penalty for distance moved.

I pretty much agree with this. Although technically CSL's only increase your OCV, DCV, or damage for a maneuver, I would allow them to increase your DFC roll if they obviously could be applied to the maneuver (i.e. were bought as 2-pointers for DFC, have DFC as one of the 3 maneuvers for a 3-pointer, or are 8-pointers). I might even allow DCV-only CSLs to be applied, but I'll have to think about this, or make a judgement call when and if it comes up.

Have you read the full rules? Once a character has used the DFC maneuver (successful or not) they are considered Prone i.e. are at 1/2DCV and must spend 1/2 Phase to recover to normal DCV. Btw, DFC is considered an Attack Action, which means using it ends your phase...you can't recover to full DCV until the beginning of your next phase!

What I would do is those who fail their DFC rolls are considered to be only at 1/2DCV and are considered "in the air" when they are hit, so they take more knockback (subtract 1D6 from the KB roll!)

I agree that the DFC rules are pretty harsh, especially because they cannot be repeated. You'll notice that Dodge bonuses apply until your next Phase, Block and Missile Deflection can be repeated indefinitely with penalties as long as you don't fail, etc. I don't believe there is any clause like this for Dive for Cover, so once you're done, you're done. Better hope no more fireballs are coming your way! :)

RE: "It's already pretty harsh" Not in the "boss battle" scenario, where there aren't other fireballs coming from the single opponent. In this scenario the "side effect" issues generally won't matter -- and the DEX roll is too easily made, and the attacker's skill doesn't affect the difficulty the way it should.

added: And just to clarify, if you find DFC is working for you? Great! I'm just noting something that doesn't work they way I think it should...

That's exactly how I handle it, but its attractive in many cases other than an emergency. It makes an effective tactic when there are many versus the few (or the one). When a team of heroes are taking on the single big nasty, it makes sense for several characters hold (or abort) their actions so they may DFC versus their opponents first attack, while the rest can then pound away. So the attacker has more attacks... the team has more people... the team can stagger their Phases by holding and waiting for cues from other members, attacking in sequence (some coordinating) and using DFC as the prefered defense. If possible, have two high DEX morons taking turns taunting the opponent and DFC while everyone else attacks.

That's exactly how I handle it' date=' but its attractive in many cases other than an emergency. It makes an effective tactic when there are many versus the few (or the one). When a team of heroes are taking on the single big nasty, it makes sense for several characters hold (or abort) their actions so they may DFC versus their opponents first attack, while the rest can then pound away. So the attacker has more attacks... the team has more people... the team can stagger their Phases by holding and waiting for cues from other members, attacking in sequence (some coordinating) and using DFC as the prefered defense. If possible, have two [b']high DEX morons[/b] taking turns taunting the opponent and DFC while everyone else attacks.

Hey!

Having a High DEX does not make someone a Moron!

HM