Demo Game

After the summer I will run a demo HERO System game (spread over 4-5 sessions) in the local shop. The problem is that I'm a bit lost here. How do I run a such short campaign where I show the systems strengths, without mixing things up for the newbies? The main problem is which parts of the system should I try to focus on, and which genre shows this best?

Re: Demo Game

After the summer I will run a demo HERO System game (spread over 4-5 sessions) in the local shop. The problem is that I'm a bit lost here. How do I run a such short campaign where I show the systems strengths' date=' without mixing things up for the newbies? The main problem is which parts of the system should I try to focus on, and which genre shows this best?[/quote']

IMO, Champions shows off the system the best, as it's whats brings in the most from the powers subsystem. Unfortunately, it can also the hardest genre for newbies to play in, for the same reason.

If you know anything about the players, and what game(s) they currently play, my temptation would be to hit whatever genre they currently play (fantasy?) - with the intention of showing them that they can do the same thing (and more) with a system that can also be used for any other genre they might want to play.

For short campaigns, focus on combat and puzzle/problem solving; 4 - 5 (presumably short) sessions isn't really enough time to explore the "role-play" aspect of a game much - particularly if you are using pregen characters.

As an alternative to pregen characters, if you can get the word (and enough campaign info) out in time, you could dedicate the first session to character creation. Characters conceptualized by the players may encourage more role-play in a short campaign. If you consider this though, I'd advise bringing along a friend or two who also know the system to assist the players in actually building the characters so that you don't have to spread yourself too thin.

Fantasy Hero Battleground and Villainy Amok both have several adventures (for their respective genres) that could easily be expanded out to multiple sessions.

Will you be running a single session demo, or a mini-campiagn stretching across many session. How long will your sessions be?

My personal experience in running Hero System demos is mainly Champions, which is what a usually run and play with my friends. For a Demo, stick with the information found in Sidekick, rather than trying to filter through the main book. If there is something in the main rules you'd still like to showcase, do it, but using Sidekick as your primary book will make things simpler for you and your players. As for how to run things that show off the system, try to make characters that can naturally or would logically make use of most of the basic rules for combat, and combat's intricacies. Not all character need make use of everything, it's best of each individual character only does one or two special things (like the Sweep or Rapid Fire maneuvers, Martial Arts, etc.). Make the villains the same way. That way during the game, some of the spiffies get to be shown off, either by the players using them, or you playing the villains.

As for what to run, a Champions game adventure that works good is a simple heist. The kind you'd expect to find in the beginning of a good hero or action flick. A chase sceen is also good, but could cause problems when mapping everything out.

I'd be good to limit the number of players, but allow spectaters. Another option which I love to see and run at cons is a major superbattle. Get 8-12 players and divide them up into two teams, the heroes and the villains. Set up a large map with an outside urban area displayed (easy to make tall buildings out of cardboard) and get them against each other. Let everyone ask questions while they play and let them all duke it out. You typically get the most players for this type of demo, and it gives you the least amount of actual work, as all you really need to do is adjucate.

One more thing: Whatever you do, keep the characters simple and easy to understand. If possible, leave the points off the sheets you hand out (or make two copies of each, so you can still show off the point stuff). Avoid Frameworks, although you might have to rely on one or two for certain character concepts. It is possible to make any character archtype without using Frameworks though, you just can't make character with lots of different powers. And whatever you do, don't try to mimic existing comic book characters, especially well known ones. Don't even compare the ones you make to them. Every time I've seen this, there has always been at least one player or spectater that points out some mistake or tries to do something the write-up can't.

Okay, just one more thing: Good luck!

My suggestion would actually be a fantasy game. Fantasy settings are something most players are going to be familiar with, so you can show off the system without having to introduce people to both a new system and a new setting at the same time. [EDIT: Of course, I am also a little biased here, as it is my favorite genre. :) ]

If you want to show off the varying and flexible system of Power constructs, I would suggest a Superheroic game. If you want to show off the basic game system, and not make the players have to worry about building or handling complex Power constructs, I would make it heroic; then you can concentrate on simple character generation (if included), flow of play, and the actual game mechanics, and you could still possibly show off some Powers and constructs by having the occaisional use of pre-built magic or whatever. I would recommend the latter. Get their feet wet. Introduce nuances of the system in a way that they don't have to completely wrap their minds around immediately, but will generate enough interest that they will be likely to delve further.

That's my scheme for introducing new players. I'm doing a lot of custom work to run a heroic fantasy game for new players (a group with which I roleplay often in other game systems), and I am almost ready to play test with a small group before going large scale with a big player group and detailed storyline. I think you could just as easily pick up a little source material and run something short without any custom work, though.

Good luck, whatever you decide!

For those who have missed it, I’m from Sweden. The American games that dominate here are usually some permutation of fantasy (mainly White Wolf’s Vampire and Wizard’s D & D). To compare Hero towards the competition it’s quite tempting to, as prestidigitator suggested, run a Fantasy Hero game. The problem, as I see it, is that Fantasy Hero doesn’t differ that much from games like GURPS Fantasy (I’m just referring to game play, not character creation). I’m afraid that unless I dedicate a session for character creation, the main advantages with Hero compared to the competition won’t shine thru.

The premises for the demo are currently:

• The game will be run at the shop biweekly.
  • The game will be a mini-campaign, played over four or five playing sessions.
  • The rules will be Hero Sidekick, run by the book. The campaign won’t use any house rules (unless this thread come up with something, like only BODY damage), it won’t use any talents from other sources and so on.
  • A side effect of this is also that VPPs will be banned for the Demo.
  • I’ve thought about banning Elemental Controls too, since they just add complexity without adding anything crucial. They can however be used in a later can, if the Demo ends with positive response.
  • The Multipower framework will be used. I see it as a form of VPP light, so it helps the players to get used to the concept.

The two genres that currently seem most interesting are low-powered supers and urban fantasy.

Low-powered supers (probably Teen Champions or DC: TAS) show some of the more spectacularly parts of the power system, without scaring the players of due to the (perceived) complex game mechanics. The same holds true for early supers (Golden Age or Early Silver Age).

Urban fantasy might not show all the permutations of the power system that I want to show, but that genre has a huge local support. I could, for example, run a White Wolf inspired scenario.

As you state John Desmarais the campaign is too short for role-play, so I thought about using characters that the characters are familiar with (like a low-powered version of X-Men, Fantastic Four or JLA).

Characters conceptualization would be fun to try, but I haven’t decided yet which way is the smartest; one session of character creation (which shows also that side of Hero) or an extra session of Hero (which give the players an extra session of getting used to playing the system). What is your opinion?

As for the exact scenario to run, what do you think of an homage scenario? If the players have some idea of what to except, they might be compelled to try to use the system more fully.

I haven’t got any of the Battlegrounds, but I’m waiting for my ordered Villainy Amok so I’ll have a look at that one when it comes.

The super-battle idea suggested could be nice. I could even think of spending one of the sessions (probably the first) just where I run the battle as a stand-alone thing.

I’ve only played in games with spectators, so I might be a bit awkward with bringing them along when showcasing a new system. Still, it might be a good idea. I shall give it a thought.

Thanks for all the Good luck wishes.

I agree that you may want to do a fantasy game. But I would also base it off something they are familiar with (if you can gather that ahead of time) to reduce/prevent any learning curve related to the world in question. If you cannot find anything, you could always base it on Lord of the Rings since you would have had to be living under a rock for the past few years not to have heard anything about it.

My suggestion would aslo be to have a handful of characters made up for the players to choose from, that way you don't have to spend an entire session just going through character creation. You can also control how they are involved with each other, etc., etc., etc...

One thing I would heavily encourage is to play it up as a roleplaying system' date=' not simply a wargame. A big supers battle might be fun and show off the game mechanics nicely (except for maybe the skill system), but it might look a little to Warhammerish. YMMV.[/quote']

This is an excellent suggestion. Hero truly shines when you show off the combat rules, and any system can be a role-playing system because role-playing needs to actual rules, but emphisizing the fact the game is intended as a role-playing game instead of a war/strategy game could be important. Definately use the combat system, but play up all the little genre bits from whatever genre you use. For Teen Champions this could mean playing up the teen angst angle (which might appeal of things like WoD is popular where you are), with the characters being outsiders because of their powers and needing to deal with society on a personal level, and thenn get into fights over it with other supers.

My suggestion would aslo be to have a handful of characters made up for the players to choose from' date=' that way you don't have to spend an entire session just going through character creation. You can also control how they are involved with each other, etc., etc., etc...[/quote']

Yeah. Especially if the players are used to a class-based, linearly progressing character system. Character creation could be daunting. I've seen many players just block when you tell them they can essentially spend their points anywhere; it is just too much freedom and not enough direction when you haven't gotten used to it. This can be even more exaggerated in a superheroic game, because now you have literally an infinite number of possibilities for creating Power constructs. I think you want to give people a better first impression, so the hurtles of learning and using the system will be better received and more easily overlooked later.

One thing I would heavily encourage is to play it up as a roleplaying system' date=' not simply a wargame. A big supers battle might be fun and show off the game mechanics nicely (except for maybe the skill system), but it might look a little to Warhammerish. YMMV.[/quote']

This is a good advice, but if I were to run a super-fight it would only be a one-night royal rumble. It would be totally separate from the mini-campaign, and it would probably remove the time for character conceptualization.

For Teen Champions this could mean playing up the teen angst angle (which might appeal of things like WoD is popular where you are)' date=' with the characters being outsiders because of their powers and needing to deal with society on a personal level, and thenn get into fights over it with other supers.[/quote']

An interesting side-note is that for some reason the angst-ridden Marvel is more popular in Sweden than the more four-color DC.

My suggestion would aslo be to have a handful of characters made up for the players to choose from' date=' that way you don't have to spend an entire session just going through character creation.[/quote']

I suppose this might be the best solution. How many extra characters do you suggest? Is a total number of pre-made characters equal to twice the number of players enough?

I agree that you may want to do a fantasy game. But I would also base it off something they are familiar with (if you can gather that ahead of time) to reduce/prevent any learning curve related to the world in question.

"The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen" might not be that huge in Sweden, but its main idea could be used. In essence they are low-powered supers, but the characters are based on fantasy characters. It has this angst mood, that might appeal to the WoD-players. A diverse league should also help show-case a few of the possibilities of the system.

It's just a thought. :think:

Suppose I run with the idea, and run a low-powered superhero team based on fantasy characters . I guess the team will have five players. Can you recommend an ideal team?

The team in the movie had seven members, so two have to go (most probably Quatermain and Gray).

Captain Nemo (Gadgeteer)

Mina Harker (Mystic)

The Invisible Man (Mentalist)

Tom Sawyer (Weapon Master)

Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde (Brick/Metamorph)

My choice of archetypes can be questioned, but for simplicity suppose I've chosen the right archetypes. Can you come up with a team of fantasy characters with the same archetypes for me?

I think that using the media for leverage is always a good thing in demonstrating Champions/the Hero System.

If the audience is fairly diverse, you might use the Incredibles.

If the audience is teenaged, you might go with the Teen Titans

If they're a little older, maybe The FF or X Men.

All of these offer fairly balanced teams with clearly defined personalities that are widely known. This allows new players to jump right into their roles so the only new thing at the table is the game mechanics.

If you use unusual or unfamiliar subjects, then you have a lot more explaining to do...

Also, if you go with current/recent big media subjects, then you can use happy meal prizes or whatnot as your playing pieces. Using toys in demos adds a lot of eye candy which is a great way to attract attention!

Tom Sawyer wasn't in the books, so you may want to use Quatermain instead. But do pick up the graphic novels which, IMO, would help your game a huge amount. Especially the stuff in the back of novel #2--it can give you a good idea of the world around them there is like. Very Victorian Fantasy.

But if you want to replace them... hrm. The classic "Wolfman", a Gaki (Asian ghost/vampire,) perhaps some sort of Thugee-type individual (I forget the actual name, but would do well as a Weapon Master type,) an effiminate Frenchman who doubles as a master of disguise... that sort of possibilities.

If the audience is fairly diverse, you might use the Incredibles.

If the audience is teenaged, you might go with the Teen Titans

If they're a little older, maybe The FF or X Men.

The group is most in their mid-20’s, with a few exceptions in both directions. I can’t say for certain yet, since I haven’t official proclaimed I’ll run the demo.

As for Teen Titans, only Robin is widely known. The problem is that, except for a few, they will think he’s Dick Grayson. Teen Titans was a good idea, but I don’t think they will work in this game. Things might change when Toonami begins to run the show in Sweden.

But if you want to replace them... hrm. The classic "Wolfman"' date=' a Gaki (Asian ghost/vampire,) perhaps some sort of Thugee-type individual (I forget the actual name, but would do well as a Weapon Master type,) an effiminate Frenchman who doubles as a master of disguise... that sort of possibilities.[/quote']

Ok, after some thought. The group will be a five person team. Each member will be of a certain archetype and he/she will also be based from a well-known person from some kind of media. If possible I want to create a group with a pulp fiction feel, or at least a pulp fiction inspiration. As you might notice below, some archetypes are lacking, but I hoped that they could be introduced in combination with the others. An example could be a gadgeteer speedster combination, ending with the character the Rocketeer. You get the idea.

Member #1

This member should be some form of gadgeteer or technomancer. This characters role in the group is to show some of the systems abilities to handle sci-fi (and maybe vehicles).

Member #2

This member should be some form of mesmerist (mentalist or magician). This characters role in the group is to show some of the systems abilities to handle mind magic and/or illusions.

Member #3

This member should be some form of metamorph, maybe a shapeshifter. This characters role in the group is to show some of the systems abilities to handle multiple forms or powers that only work in certain conditions.

Member #4

This player should have a mystic origin, but not necessary a magi. A ghost or an alien could work. The main function for this character is to show some of the systems abilities to handle fantasy.

Member #5

This player will be a form of warrior, either a martial artist or a weapon master. The main function for this character is to show Hero systems ability to handle some of the more “obscure†parts of combat (for example martial arts or exotic weapon creation using powers).

Maybe not the most unique team…

Here are my first thoughts regarding example members. Remember that I need two or three of each, so that the players get some choices:

Member #1 – The Gatgeteer

H.G. Well’s Time Traveler, Doctor Who, or Thomas Magnum (maybe a gadgeteer but he had a cool vehicle)

Member #2 – The Mesmerist

Mandrake or some fae trickster

Member #3 – The Metamorph

It’s tempting to use the wolf man, but I rather have something else. Are there any famous metamorphs based on the elements (for example water), whose powers might be squeezed down to those of a low-powered hero. The same question goes for a Thor wannabe.

Member #4 – The Mystic

The Crow or something inspired by White Wolf

Member #5 – The Warrior

Zebulon "Zeb" Macahan from "How the West Was Won", Indiana Jones or some mighty cave man fighter

A finale note, the characters should be really low-powered supers (like 100+100 or 150+100). There might not always be enough characters points to model every aspect of the character, but remember that this is just a demo.

Ok, after some thought. The group will be a five person team. Each member will be of a certain archetype and he/she will also be based from a well-known person from some kind of media. If possible I want to create a group with a pulp fiction feel, or at least a pulp fiction inspiration. As you might notice below, some archetypes are lacking, but I hoped that they could be introduced in combination with the others. An example could be a gadgeteer speedster combination, ending with the character the Rocketeer. You get the idea.

Member #1

This member should be some form of gadgeteer or technomancer. This characters role in the group is to show some of the systems abilities to handle sci-fi (and maybe vehicles).

Member #2

This member should be some form of mesmerist (mentalist or magician). This characters role in the group is to show some of the systems abilities to handle mind magic and/or illusions.

Member #3

This member should be some form of metamorph, maybe a shapeshifter. This characters role in the group is to show some of the systems abilities to handle multiple forms or powers that only work in certain conditions.

Member #4

This player should have a mystic origin, but not necessary a magi. A ghost or an alien could work. The main function for this character is to show some of the systems abilities to handle fantasy.

Member #5

This player will be a form of warrior, either a martial artist or a weapon master. The main function for this character is to show Hero systems ability to handle some of the more “obscure†parts of combat (for example martial arts or exotic weapon creation using powers).

Maybe not the most unique team…

Here are my first thoughts regarding example members. Remember that I need two or three of each, so that the players get some choices:

Member #1 – The Gatgeteer

H.G. Well’s Time Traveler, Doctor Who, or Thomas Magnum (maybe a gadgeteer but he had a cool vehicle)

Member #2 – The Mesmerist

Mandrake or some fae trickster

Member #3 – The Metamorph

It’s tempting to use the wolf man, but I rather have something else. Are there any famous metamorphs based on the elements (for example water), whose powers might be squeezed down to those of a low-powered hero. The same question goes for a Thor wannabe.

Member #4 – The Mystic

The Crow or something inspired by White Wolf

Member #5 – The Warrior

Zebulon "Zeb" Macahan from "How the West Was Won", Indiana Jones or some mighty cave man fighter

A finale note, the characters should be really low-powered supers (like 100+100 or 150+100). There might not always be enough characters points to model every aspect of the character, but remember that this is just a demo.

For number one : Nick Tesla, the inventor of (among other things) the Tesla Coil. A time displaced Leonardo DaVinci, from his teen years (or maby a clone?).

The Mesmerist: Harry Houdini is the only one I can come up with..

The Metamorph: A man whose wicked ancestors discovers his family curse: Now that he's the oldest male member, he transforms into a demonic thing. Years of research into occult lore have enabled him to manufacture an amulet (or whatever) that allows him to control.. himself.

The Mystic: A Gypsy witch, a private detective that walks freely in this world and the shadow world (a mirror of our world where magic is commonplace and deadly), Rasputin

The Warrior: Jack Johnson (the worlds first black heavywieght champion in 1908 .. A knight from a forgotten order (offshoot of Templars is allways good) tasked with a mission (in my world they're called the Samaritans, and operate sort of like the Watchers from Buffy but more pro-active). A Gunslinger from the Wild West, perhaps Doc Holiday. A French Foreign Legionnaire who was in one(or more) of their lost cause battles and keeps surviving.

=CraterMaker

You might also consider joining "The Legion of Heroes" on this site. It is a group that does just what you are doing in running your demo game. They even have their own forum.

I shall consider that! :)

For number one : Nick Tesla, the inventor of (among other things) the Tesla Coil. A time displaced Leonardo DaVinci, from his teen years (or maby a clone?).

The Mesmerist: Harry Houdini is the only one I can come up with..

The Metamorph: A man whose wicked ancestors discovers his family curse: Now that he's the oldest male member, he transforms into a demonic thing. Years of research into occult lore have enabled him to manufacture an amulet (or whatever) that allows him to control.. himself.

The Mystic: A Gypsy witch, a private detective that walks freely in this world and the shadow world (a mirror of our world where magic is commonplace and deadly), Rasputin

The Warrior: Jack Johnson (the worlds first black heavywieght champion in 1908 .. A knight from a forgotten order (offshoot of Templars is allways good) tasked with a mission (in my world they're called the Samaritans, and operate sort of like the Watchers from Buffy but more pro-active). A Gunslinger from the Wild West, perhaps Doc Holiday. A French Foreign Legionnaire who was in one(or more) of their lost cause battles and keeps surviving.

The Gadgeteer

In another group Tesla would have been a great choice, but in this group he is almost unknown (besides for me). A teen version of Leonardo Da Vinci, maybe with some renaissance fencing added, is a great idea.

The Mesmerist

Harry Houdini isn't that bad. Too be honest it's a good choice. I shall give him a thought.

The Metamorph

The problem with the cursed guy is that besides Mr. Hyde and shapeshifters, I don't know of many others that have similar powers.

The Mystic

Rasputin is always a good choice; the others have to be a bit more well-known (in fact or fiction).

The Warrior

No offense against black boxers, but I'm pretty certain none of the players have heard of him. Talking about boxers, what do you think of Jack Dempsey? Knights are fine, but which one? Maybe it could be someone like Ivanhoe? I've already added another Wild West character, Zeb, so why not another one?

The Warrior

No offense against black boxers, but I'm pretty certain none of the players have heard of him. Talking about boxers, what do you think of Jack Dempsey? Knights are fine, but which one? Maybe it could be someone like Ivanhoe? I've already added another Wild West character, Zeb, so why not another one?

Lancelot. Anyone who doesn't know who that is should be shot. :)

The term would be "run through"' date=' not shot. Then again, A Wild Wild West version of the King Arthur myth might be kinda fun.[/quote']

:lol: Yes. Run through. Good point! King Arthur? Perhaps. He was as much a diplomat as a warrior, though. Lance was the, "Best of the West," of that era.

EDIT: Oh. Oops. I see you said the, "King Arthur myth." For some reason I just saw, "King Arthur," at first and thought you were proposing him as the protagonist. :stupid:

The Metamorph

The problem with the cursed guy is that besides Mr. Hyde and shapeshifters, I don't know of many others that have similar powers.

Well, there's always the old Wolfman standby - weres are rife through mythology and there were always stories of nobles and others that could change into animals....

Ahh, I was hitting stereotypes, not actual personalities.. Okay, I'm with the program now. By the way, the whole concept of your game is pretty nifty. Will you consider posting updates and letting us know what happens and how it is going?

How about Lovecraft for the mystic, then? >shivers< A creepy, half mad mystic, but.. *grin*

I still think Jack Johnson is a sweet choice for a warrior - He was Insanely Famous in his time period. Do a google search on him and read the highlights of his life - Intelligent boxer, barred from fighting whites, beats everyone handedly untill finally public pressure forced the Champion to face him. He had a lot of drama in his life - was sent to prison for marrying two white women (at the same time), had an incredible flair - challenged the champ to fight him in the basement of a bar for 50 bucks just to see who was better, exiled to Europe - in fact, they pulled the previous Heavyweight champioin (who had retired to his farm) back into circulation to dethrone Johnson, which didn't work.

Jack Dempsey is a good choice, too, but I think I like Johnson a little more, if only for the fact that he was reviled and revered at the same time.

I'd never heard of Dorian Gray before The League of E. Gentlemen, so don't be too cautious about going out on a limb.. But I can certainly understand tryi8ng to keep things familiar for your players.

Instead of Lancelot, how about Guinevere? You seem a little light on the fairer side..

Henry Ford might be a good Technomancer..

I'll try and do some brainstorming, see if I can come up with some more people..