Star HERO Master Resource List

Syberdwarf2

As I sat here over my cup of coffee, I began to think back to the 'Project 3000' thread that set out to gather all of the names used by everyone for supers. Well, as I've been working on several SH campaigns and settings in various stages of development, I found myself looking through the same old links and the same books on my shelf. More and more I was starting to wonder if I had exhausted all of my potential targets for mining ideas.

Instead, I thought, why not start a thread similar to Project 3000 that lists all of the books, movies, videos, DVDs, magazines and all related media in one place. At the very least it might make the idea seach a little easier for people, therby bolstering support for one of the (arguably) most popular genres.

So post anything in the media that you like; print media, video/ movies, computer games, whatever. I'll try to keep a master list going of all the stuff posted.

Whatcha think, fellow Herophiles?

Re: Star HERO Master Resource List

Originally posted by Syberdwarf2

Instead, I thought, why not start a thread similar to Project 3000 that lists all of the books, movies, videos, DVDs, magazines and all related media in one place.

A list of everything that might possibly inspire a Star Hero campaign, from The Long ARM of Gil Hamilton through Buck Rogers in the 25th Century to Spaceballs?

You don't think small, do you?

Re: Re: Star HERO Master Resource List

Originally posted by Doug Limmer

A list of everything that might possibly inspire a Star Hero campaign, from The Long ARM of Gil Hamilton through Buck Rogers in the 25th Century to Spaceballs?

You don't think small, do you?

Like a Klingon with a G'orch , I do nothing small.....:D

Seriously, why not? Some would say it can't be done. I say they're wrong. All it takes is a little commitment, a little patience and a whole lot of determination.

Ok I'll leap...

The Siege of Earth (a paperback but I can't remember the Author).

Wing Commander

Wing Comander Privateer

Star Trek: TOS

Battlestar Galactica

the Dumarest of Earth paperback series

Battle Circle by Piers Anthony

Bio of a Space Tyrant (series) by Piers Anthony

Anything by Robert Heinlein

Any thing by Asimov

The Skylark series by E.E. Doc Smith

Anything by Poul Anderson

Anything by Larry Niven

Titan A.E.

for a near future campaign that has cross genre possibilities.

The Dreampark series.

More to follow later.....

The "Honor Harrington" series by David Weber

Gene Rodenberry's "Andromeda"

Gene Rodenberry's "Earth:Final Conflict"

The old series: "UFO"

"Space 1999"

"The Time Tunnel"

"Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea"

"Dr. Who"

"Captain Scarlet"

"The Thunderbirds"

The "Chanur" novels by C.J. Cherryh

"The Stainless Steel Rat" by Harry Harrison

"The Sand Wars" by Charles Ingrid

Heeeellllllllppppppp

Okay, folks. I've been working on the list in WordPerfect, and plan to convert it to PDF. But I can't seem to get it to attach to a post. Anyone out there with a little more computer experience than I that can help?

Also, if someone could start compiling a list of websites, that would be excellent.

I'll chime in with one of my personal favorite series of novels, The Heeche Saga (or the Gateway Saga) by Frederick Pohl. The four novels (in order) are Gateway, Beyond the Blue Event Horizon, Heechee Rendezvous, and The Annals of the Heechee. Pohl also published a collection of short stories and illustrations about the Heechee called The Gateway Trip: Tales and Vignettes of the Heechee.

All in all, great books and a great story about the beginnings of man's journeys into space.

P.S. Based on my own signature, I should add Doctor Who, the longest-running science fiction series on televison.

Okay folx, here's the problem. I'm still having trouble getting my computer to convert the list into a format the discussion boards will accept for attachment. (seems my computer never came with WinZip).

Anyway, I'll be maintaining the list as a wordperfect doc which I'll periodically be updating to PDF. Also, if and when I can figure out how, I'll be trying to post it on my website.

Please bear in mind that I've never done a website or HTML before, so that may take some time also.

HOWEVER,......this doesnt by any means indicate that I'm giving up beacause (insert whiney voice here):"it's too haaarrrrrddddd...."

I said I'd work on this, with help from others, and that's just what I'll do. In the mean time, until the attachment question is solved, if you'd like a copy of the list so far, email me or keep an eye out for it on my fledgling website.

email: syberdwarf@yahoo.com

(yes, I hate geocities too)

Originally posted by Fuzzy Gnome

I'm sure there's a mess of free zip utilities on the Web. If not, you can just get the trial version of Winzip and not have to pay for it until later.

Just downloaded the free trial of winzip 8.1 (Thank you Google!), and am attempting to get familiar with it. Wish me luck. Also, in the interest of, well, saving time and (hopefully) when posting the updated list, I'll be doing so once per page. In other words, when I have enough posts on the thread to 'roll over', then I'll post a new, updated list.

Unless of course things get really slow, ...then I'll post as needed, but heck... In the first day alone I had enough to fill one whole page of a word processor document (plus change).

Anyway, as noted previously, until I figure out attachments. posting/linking to websites or dechiphering WinZip, I'll be happy to email the list to anyone that wants it. BTW, maybe I could send the list to someone out there who could convert it for me? At least until I figure out what my problem is? {{{activates Armor 100 PD / 100 ED; Only Versus Sarcastic Humor Attacks}}}

:D

It's been a busy week in the Syberdwarven Halls.....

But I finally got a chance to update the list on my end. My thanx to Starwolf for helping with WinZip.

I hope to have a link ot the list put up on my new website (I've abbandoned the old one) very soon.

http://www25.brinkster.com/syberdwarf

In the meantime, keep those list entries coming....

I have a suggestion about your resource list.

Check out:

The Encyclopedia of Science Fiction by John Clute and Peter Nicholls

I have the edition from 1995 and its over 1300 pages long. It covers writers, novels, short stories, movies, directors, themes in science fiction.

It's a really good resource and starting point for research on campaign possiblities.

I should point out that Phule's Company has three sequels: Phule's Paradise, Phule and His Money, and Phule Me Twice.

Steven Lawhead's Empyrion Saga would also be an excellent resource for ideas, especially in the Utopia/Distopia corner.

Also, how about the motion picture The Mouse on the Moon? ;)