Dark Champions: The Animated Series

Dr. MID-Nite

Re: Dark Champions: The Animated Series

I'm really looking forward to this, I normally start out players at 250 points and I like theme villains even if they are slightly cheesy. The Animated style also suits my artwork, which is more or less Timm-based.

I'm waiting for the PDF to hit the online store and grabbing it as soon as I can. My two best campaigns were run in an "animated" style, and I'm interested in seeing how an "official" vision of such things matches up with my own.

The easiest way to describe it is that it is what 4E Dark Champions was: low-powered superheroes in an NCM world.

Yes. If you like low-powered games but opened 5E Dark Champions and went "Yikes! When did things get NC-17?" then this book is for you.

Sounds good to me from what I'm reading here. It'd be more in line with how I view the 'mainstream' CU anyway.

Just keep in mind that it has no connection to the CU, other than a section on how you can run a DC:TAS game in Hudson City [which really isn't CU either, except in name].

• 5 weeks later...

While the content in this supplement is good, I have to say I was really disappointed with the artwork in this book. Only a few of the pieces of artwork actually met what I would have previously called Hero Games high standards. What happened??? I know the budget has been tighter, is that what is responsible? One of the best character shots is of the villain Carnivore, who look truly menacing, but I'm at a loss to explain the low quality for many of the other charater images.

Keith

My guess is that DOJ attempted to use some cheaper artist in the hopes of saving a few bucks. Of course once the art came in DOJ had a choice of using it or delaying the books to await new, better art. Of course the quantity of art is also down in DC:TAS.

Outside of the Atlantean section the Hidden Lands' art is not bad. Hopefully DOJ will not make the same mistake again. Overly-crunchy system + crappy presentation = assured financial ruin.

I just got it...don't like it. Think street level Champions with a very silver agey feel and you're real close...me I like street level champs with a iron agey feel...so its too far from my tastes.....probibly still has useful stuff init though....

Well, I just got it. Overall, I liked it. Some villains are usable regardless of points. Others would need beefing up in tougher campaigns, but the ideas are what count...and most of them are decent. Only Serpentine felt like a dog. Carnivore was pretty dang powerful for 315 points. A lot of the villans could also make a good supporting staff for standard campaign villans. Overall, pretty good, despite the lacking art.

Rob

--Rant--

I would love to say how good or bad this book is. I ordered mine from FRPGames though on the 15th of June and it has YET to get here. Maybe I'll get it sometime before GenCon :rolleyes:.

--/Rant--

--Rant--

I would love to say how good or bad this book is. I ordered mine from FRPGames though on the 15th of June and it has YET to get here. Maybe I'll get it sometime before GenCon :rolleyes:.

--/Rant--

Did you try contacting them? I've never had a book take more than 10 days when shipped via media mail, and they always send an email saying the books was shipped. If you never received that you might want to check with them. Could be a simple snafu on either end.

Did you try contacting them? I've never had a book take more than 10 days when shipped via media mail' date=' and they always send an email saying the books was shipped. If you never received that you might want to check with them. Could be a simple snafu on either end.[/quote']

oh yeah, it's been shipped, email has been sent out, earlier this week I got ahold of the tracking number. When I try it I get:

Label/Receipt Number:

The U.S. Postal Service was electronically notified by the shipper or shipping partner on June 15, 2005 to expect your package for mailing. This does not indicate receipt by the USPS or the actual mailing date. Delivery status information will be provided if / when available. Information, if available, is updated every evening. Please check again later.

Heck, when I ordered L5R 3rd Edition it took 2 1/2 weeks to get here (I live in Waco. It sat in one place for a week before moving on and for some reason sat in Dallas for 4-5 days.

And on the record. I blame the post office more then I do frpgames, after all they have no control when it leaves them.

As someone who handles shipping and receiving on a daily basis, I strongly caution against using USPS for anything you care about, and/or that costs money, and/or is larger than a simple letter.

On that note, I also strongly recommend against using UPS, as they will almost certainly treat your package like #$Q#%)(*& -- every bix we get in through UPS has been through the ringer.

I'm probably going to buy the eBook once my money is in order. I may have to print it out my own bad self, but you gotta love instant delivery.

You could do an interesting series with Scarlet as the heroine, especially if you tweak her origins so that she doesn't know until a good part of the way in. It would also be interetsing to have a or even a : become romantically interested in her.