The DEATH of the HERO System!!!

Okay, I have a confession. I just wanted to see how many people I could get to take a peek at what they probably thought was another "piss on HERO and DoJ" thread. I have done my share of bitching and moaning, to be certain...

To the contrary, I just wanted a large audience to witness my humble thanks to Steve and all of the DoJ, for keeping this brilliant and fun thing alive! I am starting a Star Hero campaign, and planning it has been a blast! I've run HERO in 4 different genres now, and have yet to find one it doesnt work brilliantly in! So kudoes, gents, for keeping the best game system EVAR alive, well , and evolving.

Also, a hearty thanks to the fan commuity on these boards. No one could ask for a greater bunch of high-iq'ed, motivated, benevolent guys and gals, willing to help with their (sometimes very detailed and time consuming) thoughts, and offering their help to complete strangers!

Cheers!

Re: The DEATH of the HERO System!!!

Careful, atlascott, lest ye be accused of fanboyish Steve Long worship. :snicker:

Seriously, I'm glad you're enjoying the reborn game, and I'm glad you're saying so. The balance has been swinging negatively a little too much around here recently.

Okay, I have a confession. I just wanted to see how many people I could get to take a peek at what they probably thought was another "piss on HERO and DoJ" thread. I have done my share of bitching and moaning, to be certain...

To the contrary, I just wanted a large audience to witness my humble thanks to Steve and all of the DoJ, for keeping this brilliant and fun thing alive! I am starting a Star Hero campaign, and planning it has been a blast! I've run HERO in 4 different genres now, and have yet to find one it doesnt work brilliantly in! So kudoes, gents, for keeping the best game system EVAR alive, well , and evolving.

Also, a hearty thanks to the fan commuity on these boards. No one could ask for a greater bunch of high-iq'ed, motivated, benevolent guys and gals, willing to help with their (sometimes very detailed and time consuming) thoughts, and offering their help to complete strangers!

Cheers!

Shame on you, luring all those hero-haters in there and forcing them to listen to you go on about how much you like the Hero system like that. :eg: Before you know it everybody will be saying how good the system is and now wonderful the authors are and what a good job the company is doing... what will we ever do? :rolleyes:

I'd just like to add that I was impressed at the supply of damaged books to the UK, when shipping is taken into account DOJ were almost paying me to take books.

When you're next over here Steve (or any of the other DOJ staffers) then dinner is on me.

Doc

I'd just like to add that I was impressed at the supply of damaged books to the UK, when shipping is taken into account DOJ were almost paying me to take books.

When you're next over here Steve (or any of the other DOJ staffers) then dinner is on me.

Doc

Is dinner over there supper or lunch? Regional differences in terms is a recent obsession of mine...

Pre 5th edition Hero was a novelty and a fun diversion from my main game system which was d20/D&D. However with Steve's commitment to providing plenty of genre material and all the hard work that made 5th edition so complete, this die hard d20 addict is putting away his WoC books (except for reference of course) and converting most everything to hero. Now d20 is the novelty game. ;) Great job Steve and Crew!

Man, I was getting ready to get my HERO-hate on. Because, boy, do I have beef with DoJ. What a bunch of punks. Their books cost money, and that ain't cool. They make more of them than I can afford, and that makes it hard for me to keep it real. And their books aren't soda-spill-proof. I expect answers, WHAT!

Man' date=' I was getting ready to get my HERO-hate on. Because, boy, do I have beef with DoJ. What a bunch of punks. Their books cost money, and that ain't cool. They make more of them than I can afford, and that makes it hard for me to keep it real. And their books aren't soda-spill-proof. I expect answers, WHAT![/quote']

LOL! Awesome!

Pre 5th edition Hero was a novelty and a fun diversion from my main game system which was d20/D&D. However with Steve's commitment to providing plenty of genre material and all the hard work that made 5th edition so complete' date=' this die hard d20 addict is putting away his WoC books (except for reference of course) and converting most everything to hero. Now d20 is the novelty game. ;) Great job Steve and Crew![/quote']

Woo hoo! Another convert! We'll slowly turn D&D into nothing but source material. Ha ha ha! :eg:

Is dinner over there supper or lunch? Regional differences in terms is a recent obsession of mine...

It depends where in the country you are.

In the north then dinner will be lunch and in the south it is more likely to mean supper...

It can casue confusion.

It depends where in the country you are.

In the north then dinner will be lunch and in the south it is more likely to mean supper...

It can casue confusion.

That's why I think we should all have meals like hobbits. Just have one of each meal and be happy.

Isn't dinner a mid-afternoon meal' date=' and supper an evening one? Or is that just a farm thing? :)[/quote']

From my understanding Dinner is technicaly the biggest meal of the day, sorry about the derail guys...

Guest Black Lotus

Oh' date=' yeah. I guess I should probably kiss some ass somewhere along the line too, eh. ;)[/quote']

Me too! I'm new to the HERO system; have used Shadowrun, Cyberpunk 2020, World of Darkness, d20, GURPS, Rifts, Tri-Stat, Feng Shui, Traveller, Alternity, and all manner of other systems before; and I can say that HERO is, without a doubt, the best "build-your-own" system ever.

::/endbrownnosing::

Me too! I'm new to the HERO system; have used Shadowrun, Cyberpunk 2020, World of Darkness, d20, GURPS, Rifts, Tri-Stat, Feng Shui, Traveller, Alternity, and all manner of other systems before; and I can say that HERO is, without a doubt, the best "build-your-own" system ever.

::/endbrownnosing::

Oh, that reminds me...

Welcome to the Hero System and the message boards! :celebrate

And to think I've already repped you and stuff and I hadn't even said "hi" yet.

I've run D&D "white-boxed set", AD&D, Traveller, Space Opera, Star Trek: The Role Playing Game (by FASA), Twilight 2000, Champions (thru to 4th edition), Vampire: The Masquerade, and a hefty hadful of other "Game Systems". I've also looked into Star Wars d20, Valherjar: The Chosen Slain in recent years. I have been in the hobby for over 30 years. (Man...I'm old!!! :shock: )

Anyway, my good friend TheImperialKhan kept after me for a long time to look at HERO 5th. I had pretty much sworn off of role-playing, mostly due to some really bad experiences. But...TheImperialKhan can be persuasive (when he wants to be). Once more...I value his opinions (and he does have quite a few :snicker: ...sorry TheImperialKhan).

Anyway, I have come back to the world of the HERO System, and more appropriately Champions...and I am glad I did! I think I've always realized that the HERO System is probably the best system out there...It just took a very persistant friend to show me again what I already knew.

The HERO System is the best RPG system out there.

Isn't dinner a mid-afternoon meal' date=' and supper an evening one? Or is that just a farm thing? :)[/quote']

A meal in the mid-afternoon is most likely to be High Tea...

:)

There are any number of names given to meals over here. When I was at school we had dinner time at midday and tea time in the early evening. When I moved to England Dinner became lunch and tea became dinner.

When I began to move in better class circles I also became aware of Brunch, High Tea and Supper as distinct meal times (for those people that could afford five or six meals a day!)

Guest Black Lotus

A meal in the mid-afternoon is most likely to be High Tea...

:)

There are any number of names given to meals over here. When I was at school we had dinner time at midday and tea time in the early evening. When I moved to England Dinner became lunch and tea became dinner.

When I began to move in better class circles I also became aware of Brunch, High Tea and Supper as distinct meal times (for those people that could afford five or six meals a day!)

We don't have all that over here in the U.S. Three meals a day is the American standard.

Sounds fun to me, though. Maybe I should move to Britain...