What Are You Listening To Right Now?

Guest Black Lotus

On 12/17/2022 at 7:20 AM, Pariah said:

Somewhere in my music collection, I have a version of Rhapsody In Blue that includes a piano roll—basically the paper record from a player piano—recorded by Gershwin himself. The orchestra the recorded the rest of the work around it. So this recording, made in the 1990s, featured Gershwin as the soloist long after he had died.

As you might imagine, it's really impressive. 

I think I've heard that. It is amazing.

I also understand that Gershwin orchestrated a version for what was then a standard jazz band. I don't think I've heard that one.

Last night I listened to Earth Songs, a John Denver album from ~1990. It's mainly remakes of songs that he recorded as part of a fundraising effort for an environmental group he was working with. It was apparent pretty quickly that these weren't the original versions of the songs. The arrangements are a little different (and in the case of "Rocky Mountain High", about 10 BPM faster), and his voice sounds older and rounder, for lack of a better description.  But still a very good album, and a nice reminder of what a powerful singer and songwriter he was.

Union is a terrible name for a fantastic album. This was back in the early 1990s when there were two versions of Yes running around: Anderson Bruford Wakeman Howe, and the group actually named Yes (featuring Anderson, Chris Squire, Alan White, Tony Kaye, and Trevor Rabin). They were both preparing new albums and both recording with the same record label, so some genius at the label decided to convince them all to come together and do one album. 

But it wasn't, really. There were several ABWH songs with a smaller number of Rabin-Yes songs mixed in; the two groups never worked together and the only person involved with both was Jon Anderson. A lot of great songs, but clearly by two different sets of musicians.

The mega-Yes even toured together: All eight members on one stage—playing in the round, no less! It was a critical mass of progressive rock talent.

Sadly, you probably know what happens when you establish a critical mass. It didn't last long.

Anyway, here are two songs from the album, one from each half.