What Are You Listening To Right Now?

Guest Black Lotus

A mockingbird nearby, singing a medley of car alarms and alarm activation sounds*, with the occasional ringtone, and (I think) an American kestrel call.

*My Toyota's alarm activate/deactivate was definitely in there, if at a slightly higher pitch.

I've been hesitant to pick up i/o, solely because he decided to release two different mixes right out of the gate.  It kind of feels like instead of just being able to buy it and start listening for enjoyment, it's a homework assignment: Listen to each version enough times that you become familiar, then decide for yourself what you like.  There's nothing wrong with that, of course, and in general the freedom to form and hold one's own opinions is wonderful - vital! - but I listen to music primarily for pleasure, and my perception that I'll have to work at it with one has been off-putting.

Some reading seems to indicate a slight preference for the Dark-Side mix among those who've thrown their opinions out on the 'net, but there are plenty of Bright-Side advocates as well.  (I don't think I'd listen to the Atmos mix - I'm mainly an in-the-car or with-my-headphones listener these days.)  In the interest of having another data point, do you prefer one over the other?

4 hours ago, rravenwood said:

I've been hesitant to pick up i/o, solely because he decided to release two different mixes right out of the gate.  It kind of feels like instead of just being able to buy it and start listening for enjoyment, it's a homework assignment: Listen to each version enough times that you become familiar, then decide for yourself what you like.  There's nothing wrong with that, of course, and in general the freedom to form and hold one's own opinions is wonderful - vital! - but I listen to music primarily for pleasure, and my perception that I'll have to work at it with one has been off-putting.

Some reading seems to indicate a slight preference for the Dark-Side mix among those who've thrown their opinions out on the 'net, but there are plenty of Bright-Side advocates as well.  (I don't think I'd listen to the Atmos mix - I'm mainly an in-the-car or with-my-headphones listener these days.)  In the interest of having another data point, do you prefer one over the other?

I lean more toward the Dark-Side mix, though when I'm home, I usually listen to the Atmos mix. I believe that Apple Music and Amazon Music stream a version of the Atmos mix for compatible headphones, but that's not something I actively seek out. I pay a few bucks a month through Bandcamp, so I've been listening to the drops on the new and full moons. He occasionally throws archive material on there for subscribers, as well.

I've just received the 40th Anniversary edition of Def Leppard's Pyromania, which includes a Blu-ray with an Atmos mix. It's very good, mainly used for positioning the instruments around the room. I need to work my way through the set, though, because there's a lot of included material. 

Thanks.  Thinking on it some more after posting, I've decided to add it to my "to buy" list and then once I've picked it up will probably just go with the Dark-Side version (or I'll flip a coin and go with whichever that results in😄), and will ignore the other mix until such time as I decide I want to check it out.