A funny thing happened on the way to the Dungeon...

Jkeown

My girlfriend, Dawn, says she's not a good party leader, and hates it when she's left to lead things.

Last night we were missing the Swordmaster, the Chaos Mage and the Social Guy. Then the Sneaky Type had to get to work, he left and she was leader. You could see her hatin' it the whole time. Bad guys sent Ceramites, only 3 of them, and the party (what was left of them) decided to pursue, to backtrack the Vile Pottery and learn what they could.

They head off into the Undercity. I'm hoping they enjoy the Tower's Dungeon. Its a cool little place right under the Noble Quarter in Chalkcliff. Undead, Oozes and farther down, old Dharzooni Automatons.

Well, they get there and discover a magically-intelligent door that explains what it saw earlier in the day.

Dawn smiled. "Cool. Now we know where they came from, we can go home." The party agreed. They left the Undercity... They didn't go straight home... but THEY LEFT MY DUNGEON UNEXPLORED!!

How dare they use their freakin' brains and realize they couldn't win it and leave...

Re: A funny thing happened on the way to the Dungeon...

Jkeown,

You're a lucky man, or at least a lucky GM. Having player's that engage their brains before picking up the dice is rare.

I don't know if it's because most players come to the table with the expectation of combat, or because GM's tend to train their players to attack and kill whatever end up in front of them because "This is obviously what the GM has planned, so we better get through it" or both.

In any case, I'd say props to your girlfriend, and the rest of the group, for the intelligence to realize that certain things needed to get accomplished and then doing it without unnecessary bloodshed - especially on the part of the party.

I'd also give you props for allowing the players to take their preferred course of actions. You must be creating a reasonable level of versimilitude for the players to identify dangers in advance of bloodletting for them to have taken such a wise course of action.

Excellent job all around!

Living' date=' evil pottery -- LOL. Might make a good Digital Hero article. ;)[/quote']

Please, follow the link, Steve... You're welcome to use them in any fashion you like. Just put my name on it somewhere... :D

Plus' date=' the unexplored dungeon may appear later as the basement of a ruined fort, or the interior of a stronghold. The players won't know you've recycled it.[/quote']

That's the funny thing about Caleon. I do not recycle anything. Once I write a scenario, it stays there. One day, they will go back... and it will be there... waiting for them.... :eg:

Well then' date=' they just need another incentive one day to go there...[/quote']

True to the FH paradigm of not every character being "worth" every other character in a scrape, Dawn says when the "Big Guns" of the party show up, she'll be right back down there, paying somebody back for 14 NND stun she sucked up. My group is very diverse, and not all of them go with out being CON stunned by 14 stun. She was left alone to fight the pottery all by her lonesome after an Urn got to the party.

Of course, if the Ceramites used bad language, that would make them potty mouths…

Anyway, I think the players have enough on their plate…

What's next - flying saucers?

Imagine the story about a brave knight (Sir Lain) being outmatched by those things [it is of course the ballad of 'Poor Sir Lain' :D ]

Uh' date=' do the Urns need Personal Immunity on their EB NNDs? They take no STUN anyway...[/quote']

An excellent point. I think I included it out of habit. I love Personal Immunity!

To everyone else... yer crocking me up...