Juke Box Heroes

Hermit

Folks may remember such villainous concepts as Roadkill and Argent Anarchy but "Where are all the heroes, and where are all the gods?" Where are those musical groups on the side of Justice? :)

In the NGD, there was a thread on possible names for bands that inspired me to this line of thinking... I am thinking of introducing a group of NPC musicians who get their powers in some sort of "radiation accident". They will try to become superheroes, some for the wrong reasons.

But what sort of musical group should they be?

Country/Western?

Rap/Hip Hop artists?

Pop Rock?

Heavy Metal?

Any and all ideas, from the silly to the serious welcome.

Re: Juke Box Heroes

Musician superheroes? You mean like "The Impossibles"?

I guess they could be anything, but I would say they shouldn't be too popular as a band, since they'd be missing big, important concerts all the time while they're off battling supervillains.

Maybe instead of being heroes they could be villains, like the heavy metal band in the Cthulhu Now supplement's scenario entitled "The Evil Stars" (the band was called something different, I can't remember); there was also a Jimi Hendrix-inspired vampire character in a Chill module I had bought many, many years ago. The vampire would freeze time during his concerts and select a victim from among his audience.

Folks may remember such villainous concepts as Roadkill and Argent Anarchy but "Where are all the heroes, and where are all the gods?" Where are those musical groups on the side of Justice? :)

In the NGD, there was a thread on possible names for bands that inspired me to this line of thinking... I am thinking of introducing a group of NPC musicians who get their powers in some sort of "radiation accident". They will try to become superheroes, some for the wrong reasons.

Country/Western?

Rap/Hip Hop artists?

Pop Rock?

Heavy Metal?

I've mentioned it before, but I made an all girl group of superpowered musicians, they were a send off of KISS, playing fantasy glam rock. All wore specailized makeup/masks. They were called Masquarade. They were, in reality, a dragon, goddess, cyborg, alien, and artificial construct, something of an alchemic android.

Metal bands would really be drawn to that sort of thing. Look at Man O War or some of their contemporaries, they all wanted to be superheroes, its' obvious...

I've mentioned it before, but I made an all girl group of superpowered musicians, they were a send off of KISS, playing fantasy glam rock. All wore specailized makeup/masks. They were called Masquarade. They were, in reality, a dragon, goddess, cyborg, alien, and artificial construct, something of an alchemic android.

Metal bands would really be drawn to that sort of thing. Look at Man O War or some of their contemporaries, they all wanted to be superheroes, its' obvious...

Dio wanted to be in a fantasy game... I mean look at his albums, stage shows, music videos, and what not. And what little I've seen of GWAR (does it really stand for "God, What A Racket?") they are primo supervillain material... as is Rob Zombie!

Dio wanted to be in a fantasy game... I mean look at his albums' date=' stage shows, music videos, and what not. And what little I've seen of GWAR (does it really stand for "God, What A Racket?") they are primo supervillain material... as is Rob Zombie![/quote']

Dio has rocked for a long, long time,

Now it's time for him to pass the torch.

He has songs of wildebeests and dangers,

He has soared on the wings of a demon.

It's time to pass the torch,

You're too old to rock, no more rockin' for you.

We're takin' you to a home,

But we will sing a song about you.

And we will make sure that you're very well taken care of.

You'll tell us secrets that you've learned. Raow!

Your sauce will mix with ours,

And we'll make a good goulash baby.

Dio, time to go!

You must give your cape and scepter to me.

And a smaller one for KG.

Go! Go! Dio! Dio!

Country/Western?

Rap/Hip Hop artists?

Pop Rock?

Heavy Metal?

Well, it would possibly be easier for Rap, since they all use alter ego names anyway. Can you imagine the group Snowstorm, made up of Ice-T, Ice-Cube, and Vanilla Ice? Maybe Eminem's rival: Skittles (probably a bit eccentric), or that rapping monkey: Reese's. :D

Or maybe create a team from the Burger King commercials about "bob your head." Sure, they're earnest and sincere, but since they're low-powered supers, they don't fight. 'Cause, ya know, they're chicken. :rolleyes: In fact, boneless chicken.

That's all I have now, but I'm still thinking. (Though you may be wanting me to stop.)

Well, it would possibly be easier for Rap, since they all use alter ego names anyway. Can you imagine the group Snowstorm, made up of Ice-T, Ice-Cube, and Vanilla Ice? Maybe Eminem's rival: Skittles (probably a bit eccentric), or that rapping monkey: Reese's. :D

Or maybe create a team from the Burger King commercials about "bob your head." Sure, they're earnest and sincere, but since they're low-powered supers, they don't fight. 'Cause, ya know, they're chicken. :rolleyes: In fact, boneless chicken.

That's all I have now, but I'm still thinking. (Though you may be wanting me to stop.)

You could throw "Informer" rapper, Snow in there too.

Hey' date=' I had a dream one time where Ice-Cube was a supervillain. Wish I could remember the powers who used but I am drawing a blank.[/quote']

JoJo's Bizzare Adventure, a series of manga, anime, and video games features characters with names of musicians, Vanilla Ice is one of them...

Well, Kung Fu Elvis will always be one of my faves.

Willie Nelson as a country-western Shaman appeals to me, as does the late, great Jonny Cash.

I've used the "F*** Lords", a splatter-punk band of UK villains. Bloodbath (vpp with blood related SFX), Corpse Grinder (Superstrong and nigh-invulnerable), Screaming Alice (sonic scream MP), Stabbin' Henry (speedster with kinves), and Deader (zombie with horror-themed psionics MP).

Billy Idol as Superman would be fun.

In my experience as a roadie/stage manager for a couple of local bands, I've found that even if a band ascribes to one genre, that the individual members might have very diverse influences. The drummer could really be into reggae, the guitarist may be into classical, etc. Gaining superpowers may give the members the opportunity to allow their influences to come to the front, so the guitarist of the metal band becomes Virtuoso, the classical shredder guitarist, the drummer becomes Wailer, the dreadlocked Rastifari, etc. Don't forget about the clashing egos, as it seems all bands have this problem (at least the ones I've dealt with).

May I also suggest (for purely self-centered reasons), that if your doing the radiation accident on a tour bus origin, you include a couple of superpowered roadies. They come in two varieties: the big guy who lifts the amps, passed out band members, etc and the tech, who can "take some duct tape and zip ties and make a skateboard". ;)

For extra silliness, a manufactured pop group ala the Monkees (or more recent groups who I won't dignify here) is put together and given powers by the Corporation. Matching costumes, relatively low-powered, and good-natured young people.

Their biggest annoyance is having the corporation fake baddies for them to stop. There's only so much phoniness even a group of musicians picked for their bland good looks can take.

For extra silliness, a manufactured pop group ala the Monkees (or more recent groups who I won't dignify here) is put together and given powers by the Corporation. Matching costumes, relatively low-powered, and good-natured young people.

Their biggest annoyance is having the corporation fake baddies for them to stop. There's only so much phoniness even a group of musicians picked for their bland good looks can take.

Very good idea. One addition: do it Japanese Idol Singer style. As soon as the Corp starts having trouble moving the Super-Group's CDs and other products, they start pushing for ever bigger and more suicidal stunts. If the products still won't move, the group loses the drugs and other support that was maintaining their powers.

At 22, they'rewashed up ex-heroes, with nothing but a tell all book to show for it.

there are some bands around at the minute that would make great superhero/villain names

one that I'm totally hung up on RAZORLIGHT ( perhaps a mutant with light based blades or something)

THE ZUTONS sound like an alien invasion fleet

can you master the deadly chill of Dr COLD PLAY

currently I'm working on a character for my UK hero project called VELVET REVOLVER a spy/assassin weapons master (high powered revolver with trick ammo) and sound suppressing powers.

Watch your bass if your band ever crosses paths with the Bulldaggers. The Bulldaggers are not just this world's most dangerous band, but the most dangerous band in any and every dimension.

Cthulhu sometimes plays keyboards.

No, I am not making this up. Matt Howarth is making this up.

Willie Nelson as a country-western Shaman appeals to me' date=' as does the late, great Jonny Cash.[/quote']

Second! Remember The Simpsons where Jonny Cash voiced Homer's cyote spirit guide after his encounter with Guatamalan Insanity Peppers?

In other threads we've discussed the Village Super People.

May I also suggest (for purely self-centered reasons)' date=' that if your doing the radiation accident on a tour bus origin, you include a couple of superpowered roadies. They come in two varieties: the big guy who lifts the amps, passed out band members, etc and the tech, who can "take some duct tape and zip ties and make a skateboard". ;)[/quote']

Just no super-groupies. Please.

JoJo's Bizzare Adventure, a series of manga, anime, and video games features characters with names of musicians, Vanilla Ice is one of them...

And don't forget Bastard!! The spells and countries were named after heavy metal bands and songs. Most of the minor characters were named after musicans, and the comic relief guardsman was named Bon Jovina. :)

The english version came out just when the big napster thing legal battle was going on, so they changed all the names just a bit.

But if you can't figure out what 'Omega Death' or 'Mettal-Rikana' or 'Stryber' were originally, you probably wouldn't have gotten the joke to begin with.

---

"Legends never die, @#$hole!!"