Comics are getting too steamy...

orinmoon

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Comics are getting too steamy...

I've got no problem with sex when it advances the plot or character development; I'm opposed to it when it's just shameless pandering. Actually I feel that way about a lot of things: violence, death, resurrections, political/religious commentary, cross-overs... ;)

The other thing to remember is that comics aren't really marketed at kids anymore, and haven't been since... well, since most of us were kids. Didn't I see something the other day that the average (maybe it was mean) age of comic readers is pushing 40?

bigdamnhero

"Is this the human value you call friendship?"

"Don't give me any of that 'Star Trek' crap. It's too early in the morning."

Just as a point to agree with much of what is being said here...

Example: Villains United #4... final page... scene with Catman and Cheshire in bed together, clearly quite naked. Very much the oversexed art on both their parts... but the dialogue and the actual reasons for sex to happen between them is very clearly a part of the plot, story and character development. It is a perfect scene of sex as a natural part of the story being told... IMO.

Got no problems with that kind of thing... but I wonder if such is too much for others?

Thought of another example of Sex used well in the comics.

Fable (FableTown?) ah crud... I can't remember what the name is!

premise is all the Fariytales are real, and living in NYC.

Prince Charming is a popmus chauvanistic @$$, who is damn good in bed. There's a sex scene to show that there's at least a reason a woman would keep him around for more than ten seconds - and further shows he's a complete jerk when he's gone the next morning after leaving a grocery list behind!

Fables... by Willingham.

Anything by Willingham will have tons of sex... both story based and utterly prurient. He's the ultimate dirty old man.

But I'd agree... the use of sex in Fables is appropriate... because it is a book about relationships... strange and bizarre relationships between strange and bizarre people/creatures... but relationships, nonetheless. Sex will obviously be a part of this.

If you look into pulp-styled characters you'll find a lot of non-beautiful heroes. In Sin City' date=' Marv is supposed to be pretty ugly, and Detective Hartigan's no prize either.[/quote']

that is true, however they both are men and have the hollywood hard body.

Men are allowed to be ugly as long as they are muscular or incredibly manly (you know, like a violent killer or police officer etc) or the foil (either villain or comic relief.)

Some of the females in Watchmen had attractive, but not idealized physiques.

Depending on the artist, both Rahne (Woflsbane) and Kitty Pryde have been drawn plain. Of course, they are both adolescent, which may have something to do with it.

Keith "If you want to be happy for the rest of your life..." Curtis

"But she sure can cook!"

• 3 months later...

You make a good point but I also do not wish to read about my favorite comic book characters eating dinner' date=' taking a crap or combing their hair either.[/quote']

Though that raises an interesting point, as a tangent to your comment, which I understand and to a degree makes sense, but in a way I would say brings something up which is too often ignored in comics.

Dinner is the first social act, at least per some anthropologists, and the dinner table is a wonderful opportunity in fiction and roleplaying for interaction and exposition,. I've enjoyed comics which spend significant time on the interpersonal side. In the Bizarro comic collection one of the best segments was a lunch meeting between 2 superheroines, one retired and one still active.

Similarly, all sorts of personal-physical foibles, such as bathroom habits, have interesting impacts and relate the superheroic character back to us "little people," establishing that human connection. In RPGs it's common to see such foibles and experiences garner attention as these aspects of a character equally define him. Someone remarked they were surprised at our group spending 45 minutes in a strip club (I mean in-game!), but it was a good RP opportunity, and good fiction is little different in using otherwise-mundane events to showcase character traits.

I would gladly buy a superhero book that rarely or even ever featured combat. I think Alias was a great example of such a book.