Bye all

Fox1

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Bye all

That is a crying shame.

I hope this is not as a result of any catastrophe in your personal life, and I hope you come back and see us, and contribute more of your ascerbic wit and insight.

I don't agree with everything you say, by a long chalk, but your have said a lot of things that have made me think, and, on occasion, change my opinion.

That doesn't happen often :)

All the best.

Sean

That is a crying shame.

I hope this is not as a result of any catastrophe in your personal life, and I hope you come back and see us, and contribute more of your ascerbic wit and insight.

I don't agree with everything you say, by a long chalk, but your have said a lot of things that have made me think, and, on occasion, change my opinion.

That doesn't happen often :)

All the best.

Sean

I'm willing to bet it's not because of any personal catastrophe, but because he got annoyed with people calling him on his belligerent attitude, bad manners, and relentless bashing of the HERO system after he's also stated publicly that any problems with the system "are largely of one's own making."

The "crying shame" I see in this is not his departure, but that an obviously intelligent individual can't debate politely, can't offer counterpoints without running down "the other guy", and claims to love the system yet never seems capable of finding anything good to say about it.

To be blunt, I won't miss him.

But I wouldn't mind his return at all, if he moderates his behavior and approach somewhat.

...well' date=' if you want to look thinner, stand next to fat people.[/quote']

Fine! Now you start off your "reasonable" period by insulting half the people who frequent the message boards. :)

I'm not fat! I'm fluffy. :bounce:

(And I have to agree with Dr. A. If Fox1 could've moderated his behavior a bit, he'd be a welcome member of the boards. There's a world of difference between "stating your mind" and "being a jerk").

In all honesty I won't miss Fox1. I thought he was far too condescending toward anyone who didn't use the rules the way he did and deliberately insulting to the current owners for no other reason then who they are. Of course we can't like everyone and there will be plenty of people who will be glad to see me leave as well. Viva La Differance! :)

In all honesty I won't miss Fox1. I thought he was far too condescending toward anyone who didn't use the rules the way he did and deliberately insulting to the current owners for no other reason then who they are. Of course we can't like everyone and there will be plenty of people who will be glad to see me leave as well. Viva La Differance! :)

I like everyone....well, until I get this damn chip out I do....

Oh there were moments, but...

...well, if you want to look thinner, stand next to fat people.

Hey! I'm right here! :mad::tsk:

It would've been nice had Fox1 been able to convey his ideas in a less belligerant manner. I recognize a lot of intelligence behind some of his posts, but frankly he annoyed the bejeezus outta me every time he came down on Hero Games, the system, most of the people using it, etc.

I'm not fat! I'm fluffy. :bounce:

Can we pet you and stroke you and call you George? :D

(And I have to agree with Dr. A. If Fox1 could've moderated his behavior a bit, he'd be a welcome member of the boards. There's a world of difference between "stating your mind" and "being a jerk").

Ah, well. I'll go out on a limb and say that once you just accept his being a jerk, the consistency and humor it can bring are rather comforting. He has some good points at times, too, if you learn to seperate the message from the medium, so to speak.

But then, perhaps I go too far (as usual) in taking the burden of peace upon myself. Heh.

Yeah, Fox has been abrasive. I will grant that. Part of getting past that is learning when to stop following threads.... :rolleyes: I admit I can be a rather selective reader.

But he had his points, and he has clearly done a lot of work on system refinements, and he put a lot of stuff out there where you could look at it, give it a test spin, and run with it if you liked it. That's not all that common a thing, especially considering how robust a lot of it looks. That body of output is worth acknowledging. In some ways ... though you may gag at this phrase, he has made for a "sanity check" on some of the number-crunching aspects of the game.

In sum, often (usually early in a thread!) I've found what he had to say worth thinking about. Yes, a filter needed applying, but still worth thinking about, and that's a redeeming feature for a poster on an open discussion board.

I won't miss his posts much. Well, I'll miss a lot of what he has to say since he obviously put a lot of research and thought into many different things.

What I won't miss is his bad attitude, which was to the point where even if he did say something worth listening to I would be inclined to disagree on the basis that he's a jerk.

Though, I personally strive not be the same (and I'm sure I occasionally fail) the one thing I dislike over everything else are personal attacks on someone.

The bad outweighed the good almost all the time with Fox1.

Fox.... What can I say?

Well, a lot of things, actually; I'm quite good at it. But in keeping with the spirit of departure, a proper send off is in order.

What will we miss? Certainly not the abrassiveness, nor the arrogance. Certainly not the tendency to select personal insult over rebuttal, and probably not the incessant habit of coming to a title-specific site so as to dump tirades and snipes against that very title.

But, hey; we are none of us perfect, and would do well to remember that.

With any fortune smiling on your memory, what will linger for us was your intelligence, your desire to perfect your craft, and your willingness to shoulder perceieved shortcommings in the system, and work them back and to, until a solution had been found.

And we will, Fate willing, remember your sharing ideas of your own, and offering suggestions and feedback on ours. An intelligent mind, engaged in like-minded pursuits, is a rare and wondrous find.

So I wish you the best in what you do, and join with many others in keeping an invitation to our discussions.

I truly hope that it is your concepts and ideas that are remembered best,

and not the bile with which they were routinely served.

Duke

Jeez, I hate melodrama. Just go without all the theatrics already.

Ah well, at least Fox1 didn't go out with a michaelnenonen-like "I'm leaving, and here's my 40,000 word dissertation (in 3 parts, plus bibliography and copious quotes from Noam Chomsky) on why!" :hush:

Jeez, I hate melodrama. Just go without all the theatrics already.

Ah well, at least Fox1 didn't go out with a michaelnenonen-like "I'm leaving, and here's my 40,000 word dissertation (in 3 parts, plus bibliography and copious quotes from Noam Chomsky) on why!" :hush:

Is it really a bibliography when it's all from the same author? Isn't just a book report then? ;-)

TB

EDIT: I also must say that this is the most "Don't let the door hit you on the @ss on your way out" send offs that I've seen. Have there been any others of this caliber?

I also must say that this is the most "Don't let the door hit you on the @ss on your way out" send offs that I've seen. Have there been any others of this caliber?
Not that I can recall' date=' but then most of the obnoxious types that you'd [i']want[/i] to say "Don't let the door hit you on the @ss on your way out" in the first place aren't obliging enough to post a farewell notice, they just slink off into the shadows.

Not that I can recall' date=' but then most of the obnoxious types that you'd [i']want[/i] to say "Don't let the door hit you on the @ss on your way out" in the first place aren't obliging enough to post a farewell notice, they just slink off into the shadows.

Ah.

So Fox1 is not necessarily a _bad_ person---

just horribly, horribly twisted.

Is that what you're getting at? ;)