Some Cheap Gadgets

Dust Raven

Hey there everybody! After a long hiatus, I think I've found some spare time... :)

In any case, I'm in need of some helpful suggestions on how to spend my character's XP.

I'm playing Doctor Phenomenal, a blind quantum physicist who's invented "beson sensor goggles" that allow him to perceive the world in a kinda colorless, 3-D, wireframe sorta way. He's also extremely strong and durable (a brick).

The thing is, I don't really see his mutant strength and stuff getting better, as it's been fairly static for the past ten years of his life. I also don't see him getting better at combat (i.e. CSLs); although he's a brick, he's been pretty much a support fighter for the group rather than a front line guy.

What I'd like to see is more gadgets. He's got his goggles, which provide him with Spatial Awareness and Mental Defense. I could just build more Enhanced Senses into them, but I'm looking for something else he can carry around. Additional gadgets rather than improving his only gadget.

So what would be some neat ideas for entirely new gadgets he could come up with? I'm looking for cheap stuff, 5-10 points real cost max. Any ideas?

Re: Some Cheap Gadgets

The Utility Belt is the big one. Lots of little gadgets in one Multipower. A definite gotta get. Also there is the equalizer. Darkness or Change Environment put that into a focused, continuing charge, range determined by STR grenade and suddenly the whole field is shifted to Dr. Phenom's favor.

Hawksmoor

The Utility Belt is the big one. Lots of little gadgets in one Multipower. A definite gotta get. Also there is the equalizer. Darkness or Change Environment put that into a focused, continuing charge, range determined by STR grenade and suddenly the whole field is shifted to Dr. Phenom's favor.

Hawksmoor

Hey, that could be cool. Instead of a flashlight, he could make the opposite.. A flashdark. Only, how would he know if it worked? ;)

I second a utility belt multipower. You can fit all kinds of handy little powers on 31 AP or less -- even a 10-15 AP multipower can be useful -- and it's usually easy enough to find lims to bring the cost down. Depends on how much XP you have saved up, though.

I second a utility belt multipower. You can fit all kinds of handy little powers on 31 AP or less -- even a 10-15 AP multipower can be useful -- and it's usually easy enough to find lims to bring the cost down. Depends on how much XP you have saved up' date=' though.[/quote']

Currently, 4 points, but after the currently adventure I'm looking at another 5-6 or so on top of that. I've already worked in that Dr. Phen has been working on something and is occasionally testing various things around the lab, but we haven't got into exactly what they are. As far as I know, he'll built one thing and it'll end up having some side effect that's useful enough to turn into a gadget in itself. Just don't know what that could be at the moment.

A utility belt MP sounds great though. I had originally build him with one, but dropped it favor for a few strength tricks I felt were more in concept for him. I suppose I can keep saving, but I'd like to drop him at least one gadget to start him off.

A minor Images power, so he can project to normal sighted people the appearances of things as he sees them. Being on the "same page" can be quite useful. Assume it's some kind of pocket 2-d (or maybe 3-d) projector unit, nothing fancy in terms of fidelity. Given your description of of his "sight", I think a low-quality projected image would be perfectly adequate, so you could do this pretty cheaply.

Um... Dr. Phenomenal is blind' date=' Hermit.[/quote']

I feel like an :idjit: right now. Don't mind me, I'll slink into a corner. It would appear my memory retention is about 2 lines at a time today.

Maybe something to blind others who DO rely on their sight then?

7 Smoke Bomb: Darkness to Sight Group 2" radius (20 Active Points); OAF (-1), 4 Continuing Charges lasting 1 Turn each (-1/2), Doesn't work in and removed by winds/rain (-1/2)

One of the things you could build into your vision is a heightened ability to detect camoflagued and even invisible stuff (unless you alreayd have that). Also microvision (zooming in on the wireframe image essentially) and related. Could be a way to go.

Is there a need/desire for someone to specialize in vehicles?

"Move over, let the blind guy drive."

(about to make a dangerous manuver) "I'm really glad I can't see this, otherwise I might be worried."

He is "Doctor" Phenomenal so I presume that you have purchase all sorts of SS and the like, but is he also the Detective type? Is there a need for such, and if so think about some of the Detective-related superskills over and above the standard skills like "Deduction".

Contacts. Always nice to have someone who can point the group in the right direction. Of course, this sort of depends on the style of GM you have, some of them (like me) utilize contacts and some ignore them. Your game, your call.

Also, I had a player of a low-powered brick really tweak himself out, his strength never got over something like 30, but he had all kinds of superstrength tricks, damage reduction to simulate his toughness, that sort of thing. If he is a utility fighter with all the standard stuff but none of the fixings, you might want to think about giving him a few strength tricks.

Edit: OK, I just read that you had 4 XP to work with, that changes a few things, like some of the stuff I just mentioned might not be attainable just yet. Gadgets would be good, especially if you have been tweeaking them out. You also might want to start with stuff that is more bulky/fragile/prone to failure to indicate how they are still in the late stages of experiments.

As for what gadgets, how does he get around? a set of rocketboots, powerskates or a retractable glider might come in handy (unless he has some sort of superleap and would thus be redundant). As a Quantum Phys... Physi... Doctor maybe something that has a super-tech edge to it would be more appropriate, like a short range teleport device...

A minor Images power' date=' so he can project to normal sighted people the appearances of things as he sees them. Being on the "same page" can be quite useful. Assume it's some kind of pocket 2-d (or maybe 3-d) projector unit, nothing fancy in terms of fidelity. Given your description of of his "sight", I think a low-quality projected image would be perfectly adequate, so you could do this pretty cheaply.[/quote']

Brilliant!

Oddly enough, in a previous session in which Dr. P did not take part, the team discovered some holographic traps designed by Mirage, and the team's designated egg-head couldn't figure them out. Recently he gave them to my character and I rolled an 8 on a whatever or less (no actual SS: Holographics) so designing some kind of holographic projector of what he sees is certainly do-able.

One of the things you could build into your vision is a heightened ability to detect camoflagued and even invisible stuff (unless you alreayd have that). Also microvision (zooming in on the wireframe image essentially) and related. Could be a way to go.

Vision is built as Spatial Awareness, so unless someone is invisible to that, they can be seen. And SA is inherently n-ray which helps (to frustrate the GM).

Is there a need/desire for someone to specialize in vehicles?

"Move over, let the blind guy drive."

(about to make a dangerous manuver) "I'm really glad I can't see this, otherwise I might be worried."

Actually, since he's been blind since 14, he's never been able to get a driver's license (and still can't, since his goggles aren't a recognized form of corrective vision). But that didn't stop me from buying Combat Piloting when I first wrote him up. The team has access to hovercars and I like the idea of a pilot that can see through a blackened windshield and accurately pilot through a mid-air explosion (but is otherwise blind).

He is "Doctor" Phenomenal so I presume that you have purchase all sorts of SS and the like, but is he also the Detective type? Is there a need for such, and if so think about some of the Detective-related superskills over and above the standard skills like "Deduction".

Not really a detective type, but does have Deduction... he's "normal" job is teaching quantum mechanics are MCU and working with Dr. Silverback on odd research projects, and when you are working with theoretical physics, a "guessing skill" is always helpful.

Contacts. Always nice to have someone who can point the group in the right direction. Of course, this sort of depends on the style of GM you have, some of them (like me) utilize contacts and some ignore them. Your game, your call.

That's a good idea. He's got Access to MCU campus and facilities, but paying for Dr Silverback (and/or other facilty) could be handy later on.

Also, I had a player of a low-powered brick really tweak himself out, his strength never got over something like 30, but he had all kinds of superstrength tricks, damage reduction to simulate his toughness, that sort of thing. If he is a utility fighter with all the standard stuff but none of the fixings, you might want to think about giving him a few strength tricks.

Edit: OK, I just read that you had 4 XP to work with, that changes a few things, like some of the stuff I just mentioned might not be attainable just yet. Gadgets would be good, especially if you have been tweeaking them out. You also might want to start with stuff that is more bulky/fragile/prone to failure to indicate how they are still in the late stages of experiments.

As for what gadgets, how does he get around? a set of rocketboots, powerskates or a retractable glider might come in handy (unless he has some sort of superleap and would thus be redundant). As a Quantum Phys... Physi... Doctor maybe something that has a super-tech edge to it would be more appropriate, like a short range teleport device...

A short range teleport thingy could be cool. A 5" Teleport, OIF, Full Phase with an 11- Act would be really cheap and a handy way to get through doors his STR can't open (or shouldn't break).

Powerskates could be cool as well, perhaps a type of antigravity boot that can't life him more than a foot off the ground, but acts as a kind of frictionless rollerskate/blade to increase his running.

Thanks everybody!

How about some of the following:

• Questionite Bat ... because it's good to have some back up HtH damage ;)

• A TP Belt that can not only TP him, but members of his team when needed

• A Healing device that restores both END and STUN/BODY

• Whiskers ... little mechanical devices that span out and scan an area, then feeds back to his glasses

• A Floating Disc vehicle akin to the the Green Goblin's glider

• Various entangle devices ... web grenade, goo gun, tar patch

• An inhibitor of some kind to neutralize enemies' abilities

It's not glamorous, but consider maybe 'refining' the goggles enough to buy off the disad, or buy it down a bit.

"Cool! I can finally see through plate glass!"

That sort of thing.

Oh, he can already see through glass... and brick walls, armor plating, etc. Spatial Awareness is inherently n-ray. The only thing he can't see through is energy fields (which recently frustrated the hell out of him, as the villain had put a FW between him and everything else. the rest of the team could see just fine, but had to describe everything to him).