• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cygnia

• Logan D. Hurricanes

• Cancer

• SteveZilla

Re: "Neat" Pictures

They don't do mail order in the US?

It's extremely expensive to have Ikea shipped anywhere in the US that doesn't have a store nearby. It's often actually more cost effective to rent a truck and make a large trip (especially if pooling the transportation with others). For example, the Billy bookcase combination retails for $339.95 online, and shipping's $249.00 to Vegas.

JoeG

It's extremely expensive to have Ikea shipped anywhere in the US that doesn't have a store nearby. It's often actually more cost effective to rent a truck and make a large trip (especially if pooling the transportation with others). For example' date=' the Billy bookcase combination retails for $339.95 online, and shipping's $249.00 to Vegas.[/quote']

... Ouch.

Yep. I checked out ikeahacker.com and became inspired. :)

The closest Ikea is up at the Finnish border at Haparanda -- two hours or so in a car. My sister seems to see the place as a shrine. :straight:

It's extremely expensive to have Ikea shipped anywhere in the US that doesn't have a store nearby. It's often actually more cost effective to rent a truck and make a large trip (especially if pooling the transportation with others). For example, the Billy bookcase combination retails for $339.95 online, and shipping's $249.00 to Vegas.

JoeG

I'm very fortunate that there is an Ikea only 15 miles away.

... Ouch.

The closest Ikea is up at the Finnish border at Haparanda -- two hours or so in a car. My sister seems to see the place as a shrine. :straight:

It's not really my style of furniture, but the book cases and entertainment units make a great basis for more detailed projects.

I remember when I got my previous apartment, and needed to renew my home style. I took out a Union loan of about five thousand US dollar and figured I'd need just about all of it. I replaced every single stick of furniture, bar two -- spent about two grand. Spent the rest on a new TV, amplifier, an speaker set. :)

I liked the style I had going with all that -- sort of a Scandinavian-Japanese minimalism crossover. :yes:

I remember when I got my previous apartment, and needed to renew my home style. I took out a Union loan of about five thousand US dollar and figured I'd need just about all of it. I replaced every single stick of furniture, bar two -- spent about two grand. Spent the rest on a new TV, amplifier, an speaker set. :)

I liked the style I had going with all that -- sort of a Scandinavian-Japanese minimalism crossover. :yes:

I'm going room to room and renovating. I'm doing the fun ones first :)

I worked at Ikea for 18 months. I sold dinning room tables, designed kitchens, and worked recovery. The last was the best, M-F, 7-3 PM, and I lost weight, worked with power tools, and dumped stuff into an trash compactor. Fun times.

If I could, I'd work there again (benefits are amazing) and don't mind the store. But having worked there, I sort of know what to and not to buy.

I worked at Ikea for 18 months. I sold dinning room tables, designed kitchens, and worked recovery. The last was the best, M-F, 7-3 PM, and I lost weight, worked with power tools, and dumped stuff into an trash compactor. Fun times.

If I could, I'd work there again (benefits are amazing) and don't mind the store. But having worked there, I sort of know what to and not to buy.

I've only bought Billys, Bennos, and Hemnes. How'd I do?

I've only bought Billys' date=' Bennos, and Hemnes. How'd I do?[/quote']

If I recall, okay. The problem is that Ikea, like many places, used a lot of MDF in making things. And MDF can cause a lot of problems if you want to modify the end product. I use only Ivar (if they still make that) myself, due to the price, weight, and modular nature.

If I recall' date=' okay. The problem is that Ikea, like many places, used a lot of MDF in making things. And MDF can cause a lot of problems if you want to modify the end product. I use only Ivar (if they still make that) myself, due to the price, weight, and modular nature.[/quote']

Yep. No mdf. I checked. Mainly pine and pine wafer-board.

I began building my library projects this weekend. Here is the fallout. Don't let "Projects" happen to you!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]43273[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]43274[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]43275[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]43276[/ATTACH]

The Piles photo isn't all that flattering to Jen (I assume it is Jen :) )

If I recall' date=' okay. The problem is that Ikea, like many places, used a lot of MDF in making things. And MDF can cause a lot of problems if you want to modify the end product. I use only Ivar (if they still make that) myself, due to the price, weight, and modular nature.[/quote']

IVAR is a good unit - about half my house is lined with it. And it's already overflowing.