The "Nice Happy" Thread

Hermit

Re: The "Nice Happy" Thread

Did you get a Cheesburger?

Maybe tomorrow. Taking a road trip with the missus and best friend to get out of town for a while ... plus, we've noticed that whenever all 3 of us drive to Columbia, it frequently rains on us. We figure, who knows, we might be able to help with the Midwestern drought.

Maybe tomorrow. Taking a road trip with the missus and best friend to get out of town for a while ... plus' date=' we've noticed that whenever all 3 of us drive to Columbia, it frequently rains on us. We figure, who knows, we might be able to help with the Midwestern drought.[/quote']

Well, Collie. It rained in KC tonight so maybe there's something to your idea!

Turns out, my wife couldn't make it ... we didn't get any rain up this way at the time, though we got a splash a couple of days ago that the ground soaked right up.

In other news, I think I may have figured out what's been causing my nightly stomach upset. It seems to be a side effect of drinking too much at a time ... I have no idea WHY this is the case, but I've been intentionally holding back on the water intake before bed and it seems to be doing the trick.

So, my mother-in-law decided to run for country treasurer in the special election they're having. She's been fretting over it, pretty much positive she wasn't going to win.

She was wrong. She won. It was close, but she won.

Congratulations to mum-in-law! But now, when you say "special" ... ?

Yeah ... it's a US term. A 'special election' is held when someone holding an elected office has to vacate for whatever reason' date=' and they have an election at a non-standard time to fill the vacancy.[/quote']

We had one of those in Oregon early this year. David Wu, who was the House member for District 1 (which stretches from west Portland to the north coast) had to resign due to a scandal (and possibly deteriorating mental health) and the vacancy had to be filled. In the end it was won by the Democrat, Suzanne Bonamici, and everyone was so exhausted from the special election campaign that Bonamici is expected to pretty much get a free ride in November.

How much of the term for your mother-in-law is left before she has to stand for election again?

We had one of those in Oregon early this year. David Wu, who was the House member for District 1 (which stretches from west Portland to the north coast) had to resign due to a scandal (and possibly deteriorating mental health) and the vacancy had to be filled. In the end it was won by the Democrat, Suzanne Bonamici, and everyone was so exhausted from the special election campaign that Bonamici is expected to pretty much get a free ride in November.

How much of the term for your mother-in-law is left before she has to stand for election again?

I'm not sure, actually.