Thoughts on Dr Yin Wu

Metaphysician

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Thoughts on Dr Yin Wu

Yes' date=' that was something I really liked in the initial write-up of him in [i']Watchers of the Dragon[/i]. Though if I'm getting the info on Doc Wu, Ill also have to grab a copy of the upcoming Oriental Bestiary for stats on the monsters he'd be using as flunkies.

Asian... it's the Asian Bestiary. And trust me, it's loaded with stuff the good doctor can summon up to harass and bunch of heroes. I'd say more, but Steve wouldn't like that. :D

If I were going to design the power it would look like this:

Supreme Teamwork: +2 Combat Levels, Offensive Only: -1, Must Be Within 5" Of Teammate: -1/2, Linked: -1/4 [Total: 6] plus +2 DCV Levels, Must Be Within 5" Of Teammate: -1/2, Linked: -1/2 [Total: 5]. Total Cost: 11 points.

Hmm... not sure I'd go with the Linked Limitation for these, since I don't really see the disadvantage to using them together rather than separately. YMMV of course. :)

One thing that I noticed in Reality Storm is that both Sentinel and Kreuzritter are built with "+3 to OCV" for 15 points, apparently the opposite number to DCV-only Levels. Since these are "official" builds I've felt justified in using 5-point levels for OCV Only since then.

Given that, and that the Array ability for these characters costs 27 points, I'd probably just use +4 OCV CSL (20 AP) + +4 DCV CSL (20 AP), Must Be Within 5" of Teammate: -1/2. Comes to 27 Real Points.

Yes' date=' that was something I really liked in the initial write-up of him in [i']Watchers of the Dragon[/i]. Though if I'm getting the info on Doc Wu, Ill also have to grab a copy of the upcoming Oriental Bestiary for stats on the monsters he'd be using as flunkies.

That's one reason why I'm eagerly anticipating the Asian Bestiary. There's a certain Yin Wu plot seed you might have noticed that I've been itching to put my players through for a long time... and all the components for my nefarious plan are now nearly within my grasp, heh heh heh. :eg:

The Yellow Craw?86>

The Yellow Claw was a Marvel Comics Fu Manchu on steroids. He had superhuman strength, used some weird magic/genetic engineering to create various monsters he'd hurl at heroes, and beat the shinola out of both Captain America and Nick Fury on various occasions. He kept around a Nazi mad scientist as an aide-de-camp, and had a daughter who was in love with his main enemy, Chinese-American FBI agent Jimmy Woo.

So far as I know, he hasn't been seen for years in comics. Which might have something to do with his appearance, basically 'Oriental Devil-Ape', complete with lemon yellow skin and nine-inch long nails (with which he could scratch steel). I'm not very PC, and his appearance was more comical to me than anything, but it's not hard to see how some folks could have been badly offended.

He also appeared in an issue of WHAT IF?, where he faced the "50's Avengers".

That's one reason why I'm eagerly anticipating the Asian Bestiary. There's a certain Yin Wu plot seed you might have noticed that I've been itching to put my players through for a long time... and all the components for my nefarious plan are now nearly within my grasp' date=' heh heh heh. :eg:[/quote']

Myself, if I can just get some info on kitsune/huli jing/kumiho, I'll be happy with it.

And good luck with your insidious plans.

That's one reason why I'm eagerly anticipating the Asian Bestiary. There's a certain Yin Wu plot seed you might have noticed that I've been itching to put my players through for a long time... and all the components for my nefarious plan are now nearly within my grasp' date=' heh heh heh. :eg:[/quote']

Well, let's see... *thumbs through files* I could see Dr. Yin Wu using the , and the , oh, and a , not to mention the !!!

And that's just using stuff from China! :D

Myself' date=' if I can just get some info on [i']kitsune[/i]/huli jing/kumiho, I'll be happy with it.

I don't think it's giving too much away to say "yes, many 'classic' creatures from Asian folklore were written up for the book." I would also like to think I was able to stat-up some rather obscure and highly unusual creatures as well, including quite a few I know I'd never heard of before!

One thing that I noticed in Reality Storm is that both Sentinel and Kreuzritter are built with "+3 to OCV" for 15 points, apparently the opposite number to DCV-only Levels. Since these are "official" builds I've felt justified in using 5-point levels for OCV Only since then.

Given that, and that the Array ability for these characters costs 27 points, I'd probably just use +4 OCV CSL (20 AP) + +4 DCV CSL (20 AP), Must Be Within 5" of Teammate: -1/2. Comes to 27 Real Points.

I came to the (independent) realization that, if you take an 8-pt Overall CSL and add "DCV Only; -1/2", you get a 5-pt DCV CSL. It makes sense that the same could be said of an OCV CSL. I find they work really well.

Also, it makes limited CSLs in writeups easier; unless you're using a lot of them, there's no reason to track the active point value, since they're really nothing but the smaller CSLs anyway.

Hmm... not sure I'd go with the Linked Limitation for these' date=' since I don't really see the disadvantage to using them together rather than separately. YMMV of course. :)[/quote']

The linked represents the fact that if you use the ability it needs to all be used in much the same way of adding +6 dex needs to be used.

I'm not big into using unsupported rules. OCV levels are not mentioned in 5Er though I could see you buying Combat Levels and only giving it a -1/2 limitation rather then -1.

Doubling the original CV amounts work to make them somewhat tougher as a team. Might not be a bad idea, though I still wouldn't use the OCV levels. :)

The Yellow Claw was a Marvel Comics Fu Manchu on steroids. He had superhuman strength, used some weird magic/genetic engineering to create various monsters he'd hurl at heroes, and beat the shinola out of both Captain America and Nick Fury on various occasions. He kept around a Nazi mad scientist as an aide-de-camp, and had a daughter who was in love with his main enemy, Chinese-American FBI agent Jimmy Woo.

Is eveyone forgeting about the original The Claw, an evil oriental mastermind, and sworn enimie of the original, golden age Dairdevil.He has the power to grow in size and strength whenever he was angry or aroused, and became a towering enimie to the forces of good.

The linked represents the fact that if you use the ability it needs to all be used in much the same way of adding +6 dex needs to be used.

Sure, I'm with you there. What I'm having trouble seeing is why having to use them together warrants a Limitation - you know, the old "a Limitation that doesn't limit the character isn't worth any points" principle. I mean, you have separate levels that can only be used for OCV, and other separate levels that can only be used for DCV. Under what circumstances would it be more advantageous to be able to use one set without the other? Please help me see what I'm missing. :help:

I'm not big into using unsupported rules. OCV levels are not mentioned in 5Er though I could see you buying Combat Levels and only giving it a -1/2 limitation rather then -1.

Doubling the original CV amounts work to make them somewhat tougher as a team. Might not be a bad idea, though I still wouldn't use the OCV levels. :)

Fair enough. :) Your objection prompted me to run this issue past Steve Long on the "Rules" forum. Might as well see if these are supported or not. Although I expect to keep using them whatever he rules - they just make sense to me. :P

Another thing to consider are the Dragon Mandarin's ex-wives and the children he had with them. Sure, he has the Four Sons around, magically-created bodyguards and enforcers, but what about his other progeny? It's probably the influence of Ra's Al Ghul's daughter Talia, but I can picture the "Daughter of the Dragon" as being quite a fearsome sorceress and martial artist, and I think she'd make a fun lieutenant for the Dragon Mandarin, especially as a possible romantic interest for a PC.

And can you imagine what the old sorcerer's ex-wives might be like? :D

If I were going to design the power it would look like this:

Supreme Teamwork: +2 Combat Levels, Offensive Only: -1, Must Be Within 5" Of Teammate: -1/2, Linked: -1/4 [Total: 6] plus +2 DCV Levels, Must Be Within 5" Of Teammate: -1/2, Linked: -1/2 [Total: 5]. Total Cost: 11 points.

Very nice

QM

I don't think it's giving too much away to say "yes' date=' many 'classic' creatures from Asian folklore were written up for the book." I would also like to think I was able to stat-up some rather obscure and highly unusual creatures as well, including quite a few I know I'd never heard of before![/quote']

Sweet!

And as far as 'rare and unknown Asian beasties' go, I hope you're including some from places other than 'the Heartland' (i.e., Japan, China, and Korea). I'd especially like to see what you find down in Vietnam and the rest of Southeast Asia, as well as in Indonesia. They MUST have some notorious monsters, but here in the west, we rarely if ever hear about them.

Sweet!

And as far as 'rare and unknown Asian beasties' go, I hope you're including some from places other than 'the Heartland' (i.e., Japan, China, and Korea). I'd especially like to see what you find down in Vietnam and the rest of Southeast Asia, as well as in Indonesia. They MUST have some notorious monsters, but here in the west, we rarely if ever hear about them.

I included stuff from China, Korea, Japan, Cambodia, Vietnam, India, Tibet. Thailand, Malaysia, Philippines, Mongolia, Burma/Myanmar, and Indonesia.

How's that?

I included stuff from China, Korea, Japan, Cambodia, Vietnam, India, Tibet. Thailand, Malaysia, Philippines, Mongolia, Burma/Myanmar, and Indonesia.

How's that?

OKay, that sounds nice and comprehensive.

But -- Mongolia? The only monsters that ever came from there that I remember hearing of were Ungern-Sternberg and the Death Worm, the the latter always sounded more cryptozoological than mythic to me...

But still, eagerly awaiting the book!