Adventure Modules

Dominique

Re: Adventure Modules

Adventure Modules? Ah, what a wonderful trip down memory lane!

Actually, I wish they would make something like the old Challenges For Champions supplement -- short and sweet adventure outlines with gobs of characters and other creatures ready for adaptation to one's own game universe. :) I still use stuff out of that supplement for my campaigns.

Matt "Still-livin'-in-the-4th-Edition-universe" Frisbee

The early Champs modules were very good overall. The Great Super-Villain Contest, VOICE Of Doom, The Coriolis Effect, Target Hero, Wings Of The Valkyrie, Deathstroke, et al were pretty well written and gave a good feel for the genre.

Later on around 4th ed. , most of the Hero modules were lackluster and soulless (but they still put out very good sourcebooks. Go figure).

Ahh, how I do remember them. I loved most of them, hated some, used them all. I still have workup's of the major C's from them. Not alot of them would be legal under FRed.

I still have a hero based on the Blood, I have used him so often that he's the one my Avatar and name are based on.

Sadly adventure modules aren’t as commercially viable as they once were. Now people want more than just 32-48 page adventures. It’s a shame because I would love to publish adventure modules. I would love to see a group of connected adventure modules like D&D use to do; A1 to A6, the G series and so on.

Id love to see a ton of interconnected adventures that tell one complete story once its finished. Having a module come out every month for a year would go far in immersing you in the genre.

In my opinion Villains & Vigilantes had the best modules. Jeff Dee and the gang were so good at making those modules feel like early 80’s comic books. I own a few but would love to have a complete collection.

You can order them online. I'll post the link when I get home.

Sadly adventure modules aren’t as commercially viable as they once were. Now people want more than just 32-48 page adventures. It’s a shame because I would love to publish adventure modules. I would love to see a group of connected adventure modules like D&D use to do; A1 to A6, the G series and so on.

Id love to see a ton of interconnected adventures that tell one complete story once its finished. Having a module come out every month for a year would go far in immersing you in the genre.

I know Guardians of Order has put out a couple of modules for their SAS supers game (although I'm not a fan of thier tri-stat or D20 systems). I picked up the first one, and liked it. Pretty good book for only $10. I haven't seen their second module yet, so I can't comment on it.

As far as other companies go, depending on what type of material is presented, I could go for a series of modules, say with one being released a quarter.

I'd also like a mix material, say a Sci-fi adventure (deep space or alien invasion), something envolvong the occult or magic (possibly envolving DEMON), the standard slug fest (a new villain group or reintroduction of one of the old groups like the Horsemen), or a mystery (a GOOD murder mystery).

It does't have to be a massive book, as long as it was 24-32 pgs., had a solid premise, some decnet villains to take on, and a couple of maps. I'd pay $10-15 for it. If it's still to expensive to produce, I could go for it as a PDF.

Actually, I wish they would make something like the old Challenges For Champions supplement -- short and sweet adventure outlines with gobs of characters and other creatures ready for adaptation to one's own game universe. :) I still use stuff out of that supplement for my campaigns.

Isn't this what Steve et al are trying to do with the Hero Plus adventures?

I would have to agree with you on this one. Having stories with (admintadly sometimes very weak) interconnecting elements and progressing through several modules managed to make the stories seem so much more epic for me as a player.

Something like this would be great for Champions (mini-series anyone?) or even to handle something huge... like the Secret Crisis (or whatever they called it I forget now).

Any chance that some of the older material could be updated to 5th edition?

For official versions, it's always possible. There are a number of older characters that DOJ has the rights to which they've asked the fans not to post anything about on the public forums, because they may use them someday. Other characters that they don't have the rights to, or that they've indicated they don't intend to use and have graciously allowed us to play with, have indeed been given an "unofficial" update already on the Internet. ;)

There's been a lot of action on these boards vis a vis that classic Third Edition Champs adventure, VOICE of Doom. If you check this thread you'll find the sterling work that our boardmates Kirby and Enforcer84 have done updating the villains of VOICE to 5th Edition, as well as the NPC hero team from that adventure, the Freedom Squad. Some of the material used for these conversions was based on or inspired by an earlier thread started by VOICE's creator, Steve "Captain Liberty" Perrin, to which he appended his own updated (to 4E HERO) VOICE writeups, as well as a lot of background info about the campaign which inspired them. You can read that stuff here.

Scott Heine, author of the beloved adventure To Serve and Protect, retains the rights to those characters, but gave his blessing to our efforts to update them to 5E. First to tackle the challenge was our colleague Glen Sprigg, back on the old UBB discussion boards. Glen wrote up several Protectors, while Scott supplied all-new color renderings of them, as well as fascinating details from his campaign. Sadly, that art is no longer accessible, but the original discussions and writeups are. It was a two-page thread, but since the internal links between pages in the archived "Old Forum" files no longer function, I'll just link to each page separately:

http://www.herogames.com/oldForum/Champions/002229.html

http://www.herogames.com/oldForum/Champions/002229-2.html

Sometime later, on the new boards, Solomon took up the challenge of finishing the updates of the Protectors, as both posts and attached HDC files. In addition, TheEmerged offered more experienced incarnations of a few members of the team whom he had been using in his own campaign. They're on this thread. Unfortunately the disabling of the HTML feature on these boards left the posted versions as just scrambled code, but the HDC files are still there. OTOH I had saved Solomon's updates, as well as Glen's, in a Document file. (Not TheEmerged's efforts, though; sorry TE.) I'll attach that file to the bottom of this post for any interested parties.

I noticed a few folks on this thread fondly recalling the old Villains and Vigilantes adventure modules. Another of our board cohorts, proditor, has converted a host of the characters from those modules to HERO Fifth Edition, often tying them more closely to the official Champions Universe to make integration easier. This webpage index will take you to them. One of the modules converted was a classic product for Chaosium's Superworld superhero game, the multi-adventure pack Trouble for HAVOC, which also featured stats for V&V and for 3E Champions. Here's the specific HAVOC writeups. Note that these are more experienced interpretations of the characters, bringing them at least up to 5E's "Standard Superhero" standards.

Speaking of Superworld, another of their products featuring Champions stats was the unique adventure module, Bad Medicine for Dr. Drugs. The indefatigable Michael "Susano" Surbrook has updated those characters to 5E on his magnificent website; you'll find them on this webpage.

Thanks to everyone who worked on these projects. I hope fans of these old adventures find the updates interesting and useful. :)

How many of you guys miss the old adventure modules? And in the event they ever do decide to start producing them again' date=' what would you like to see?[/quote']

I don't miss them in any way, shape or form. I've always run a unique campaign setting so that it took just as much time to adapt a canned adventure to my campaign as it did to run something off the top of my head.

I've got a large outline entitled "Campaign Happenings" that sets out the major conflicts and plot lines for the forseeable future. This makes it pretty simple to come up with the next adventure or plot line.

However, I'm a completist and do own most of the old "modules" with the exception of that pesky Wings of the Valkyrie. I usually plunder them for characters (which I alter before use) and I can always find at least one tiny little plot twisty tidbit to steal.

Any chance that some of the older material could be updated to 5th edition?

Most 4th Edition stuff was geared toward superheroes built on the 100 base + 150 disadvantages system. That doesn't mean they still can't be used as is, it's still the same system (more or less). My players don't care if the points balance out on the villains or not, just so long as they make challenging opponents both on and off the battlefield...

Matt "Throwing-another-couple-pennies-in-the-ring" Frisbee

• 2 weeks later...

For those of you that don't know I'm a big fan of Blackwyrm Games. At the moment Aaron Sullivan is looking for a little feedback on what people would like to see in a possible adventure module.

What's the general interest out there for modules/adventures? Also' date=' how many of you buy pdfs? [/quote']

If you, like me, would like to see there return, please be kind enough to take a few minutes and reply on the thread below (It only takes a few seconds to register on their boards). The only way they’ll know what you’re looking for is by telling them.

http://www.blackwyrm.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=29

I would love to see them take some of the old modules, update them for Fifth Edition (and the year 2006. It might be classic but to new players it might come off as dated as well) and slam them together in one nice big package called Classic Adventures.

For original material I want to see things that incorporate a lot of problem solving as well as kick butt action. The modules should be on a grander scale than Villian robs a bank and PC's must stop them. That I can do on my own with very little research involved. It should be multifaceted and leave the players the room to make quite a few choices. I like the notion of a module telling me what groundwork needs to be done before I start the adventure. I like to foreshadow events in my game and link the characters to the module and then transition smoothly into it. I have been laying the groundwork for Sharper's than a Serpents tooth, Shades of Black and Champions Battleground since day one of my new Champions game.

Basically, I want something that has heft to it, as well as teeth, and leaves me jealously saying "I wish I thought of that."

Isn't this what Steve et al are trying to do with the Hero Plus adventures?

I'm a die hard printed product guy. But for adventures I actually like the PDF format. As Cardinal noted, that is what Hero Plus basically is as far as I can tell. So far they have all leaned to Pulp (not that I mind, I have them all) and I was going to ask about the possibility of Champs HP or the other genre's. PDF's can be a hard sell sometimes, but for adventures they are perfect.

One thing I really liked about the last few HP's was that the included NPC write ups didn't flow into each other. I usually copy the villains onto a character sheet when I run. Now I can just print the needed page and feel free to mark it up during play. With only one NPC per page (or facing pages) this is easy.

Now all we need are some Supers scenario's! :thumbup:

I too prefer print products, but I'm willing to pick up the occasional PDF, and small adventure modules definately fall into that catagory.

Just out of curiousity, how many of you have taken the time to drop by the Blackwyrm boards? They produce quality material, and if you want them to continue to do so, speak up, and let them know what you want from them in the future.

I too prefer print products, but I'm willing to pick up the occasional PDF, and small adventure modules definately fall into that catagory.

Just out of curiousity, how many of you have taken the time to drop by the Blackwyrm boards? They produce quality material, and if you want them to continue to do so, speak up, and let them know what you want from them in the future.

Not being flippant, or at least not too much....but

Black-who??? :think: