Danger sense as "hears theme music"?

gewing

Re: Danger sense as "hears theme music"?

An interesting idea for the SFX, but depending on how it was written up, a cruel GM could use it against you. If the music is heard by anyone in danger in your vicinity, it could be heard by that VIPER agent you were about to attack from surprise. :sneaky:

If the idea is to let others be aware of when there is danger, I think:

1. weird, but I kinda like it

2. you are going to have some difficulties in 'defining' who the danger is to

3. not sure if it is really danger sense as you are unlikely to be able to swing 'targetting' in there anywhere

On one hand you could have a simple images triggered by your own danger senses. This has two problems I can see:

1. if you are trying to sneak up on someone and are about to leap into combat, you will be in danger: playing the theme music is going to be a dead giveaway...

2. all it is going to tell others is that YOU are in danger

So, to actually make it work 'properly' then I think you need Useable On Others (simultaneously). For a few others then just take the appropriate modifier plus ranged unless you want to have to touch them to confer the ability. The 'hearing theme music' bit would just be sfx, and may only be obvious to the person for whom danger sense is working.

As for the PRE aid: if the character has realised they are in danger then the danger is not going to get any bonus to the PRE attack tehy are about to make for surprise. Mind you if that is all you want to do then it might be that danger sense is not really what you are after int he first place. Job one is to deceide what you actually want the effects to be, I suppose.

Good luck :)

I did this once ...but its hard on the GM to constantly come up with cool tunes for your sense.....the one time I used it it also let me hear threatening "mood" music as well as other sound effects....so if I reach for a booby trapped door I could here the Baah buh Baah buh music and back away till the music faded into basic background music......but I never considered having other's hear it....buy Transmit on D-sense, add in vague...what else?

I did this once ...but its hard on the GM to constantly come up with cool tunes for your sense.....the one time I used it it also let me hear threatening "mood" music as well as other sound effects....so if I reach for a booby trapped door I could here the Baah buh Baah buh music and back away till the music faded into basic background music......but I never considered having other's hear it....buy Transmit on D-sense' date=' add in vague...what else?[/quote']

Transmit is an excellent way of sharing: well done :)

Nah... ghost doesn't :)

The idea of hearing the Music Score for your Danger Sense is neat-o. That deserves rep.

I can think of lots of fun role playing you could do with the theme music if it was audible.

Unless you put a pretty Good presence aid in it, Seduction rolls are going to be pretty damned obvious when Barry White starts singing... or whatever you prefer, Fem2fem, whatever.

Hmm, "PUsh it" might be even funnier if the target hated hip hop and rap...

Fight music could be great fun, depending on the character, I have been intriqued by a melee fight where the major strikes are in time to the beat of a driving Celtic tune...

A gunfight where the shots are to the rhythm of a heavy metal tune...

Imagine the fun when everyone around hears something like Iron Maiden, a tune appropriate to the situation, and the character just Groans and puts his head in his hands. He HATES HARD ROCK! :D

SOme things might need to be retroactively applied, so that the tune climaxes at the right time...

Even the fact that you can't be stealthy COULD be fun.

Imagine the team sneaks into the enemy base, but the brick, whose theme music would give them away, is waiting to crash in "when" they are spotted...

Being Hero there has to be more than one basic approach, and, chaps, there is: Brian.

Brian is a follower, perhaps not in the 'I paid points for him' sense, more in the 'physical limtation' sense.

Brian follows you. He has an excellent perception roll and a mouth organ, which appears to be his sole means of communication. If you feel the need, Brian can be a ghost, capable of desolidification and maybe invisibility too, but I am sure an inventive GM could make it work if Brian was just a hobo with OCD.....

.....and that's why I love the blues.....

I can even see someone with a Video-Game Motif. Where danger is afoot, the music queue's - a Joystick, and two buttons appear and tells you what you must do - but timing is everything. - What was it, Dragon Lair that did that?

And then there was Disco Dan the cyberpath, who, rather unfortunately tended to cause any machine with a speaker that he was controlling to play disco music. We're not sure why, given that he was not especially a disco fan, but it was kind of worth it to see a wave of attacking robots suddenly segue into the hustle... (disclaimer: this was not my character - not my fault!)

More on topic, it might be more subtle to limit something like this to venues where music might already be playing (malls, elevators, bars, streets where you hear the music from passing cars...)

Nah... ghost doesn't :)

The idea of hearing the Music Score for your Danger Sense is neat-o. That deserves rep.

I could have Sean use some telepathy to project the Demon's Tabernacle Choir singing "You go to my Head"

Might kind of blow that whole sneaky invisible thing thoough :P

I love you guys.

No, really.

A friend of mine mentioned this at one point; if he could have any one superpower, it would be to hear the background music, so he'd know, as it got low and menacing, where the killer was lurking, or whatever. I mentioned it as an offhand remark in a thread about horror tropes, and here it is, being built and statted and discussed and everything.

You guys are great. :rofl:

So' date=' if you get your hearing sense flashed, or if you're in a setting that's too noisy to hear the music, you can't use your danger sense?[/quote']

If you define the Dange Sense as part of the Hearing Group - then yes.

Otherwise your not Hearing it with your ears - You're hearing it without your subconcious mind, it's only in your head as it were.