Daily Art Findings

Eosin

• Replies 844
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Daily Art Findings

I find it facinating how people will identify a person with their avatar' date=' especially if the avatar is a human-looking picture. For instance, I was amazed to meet Teflon Billy at Gencon and discover he isn't monochrome.[/quote']

Aaaaah! A talking shield! Demon!

Keith "I do this ALL the time" Curtis

Back in the Day (Late Seventies, in this case), the two main heroic fantasy artists we had to compare were Frank Frazetta and Boris Vallejo. There were others, of course, but these were the only two with general public presence. I had to hold myself back from killing anyone who preferred Boris over Frazetta.

From an artistic standpoint, composition, tone, color, mood, design, there's no comparison. Boris executed his paintings in sharper detail. That's it.

Keith "Don't be dissin' Frank" Curtis

While this pic shows great potential' date=' it is severely lacking in a sense of the dramatic. The man's posture and body language are saying "Excuse me... did someone lose an axe and a sword?"[/quote']

Snerk. :lol: Exactly.

He doesn't look like he has any idea how to use either one, and that's going to make the difficult task of using both at once almost impossible. :sneaky:

Back in the Day (Late Seventies, in this case), the two main heroic fantasy artists we had to compare were Frank Frazetta and Boris Vallejo. There were others, of course, but these were the only two with general public presence. I had to hold myself back from killing anyone who preferred Boris over Frazetta.

From an artistic standpoint, composition, tone, color, mood, design, there's no comparison. Boris executed his paintings in sharper detail. That's it.

Keith "Don't be dissin' Frank" Curtis

I think the difference is that Vallejo has excellent technique and puts a high-gloss on his finished work; whereas Frazetta's work has a dynamism - a punch factor - that Vellejo's doesn't. Frazetta was the master, and probably still is. Few can do what he did as well as he did it.

I think the difference is that Vallejo has excellent technique and puts a high-gloss on his finished work; whereas Frazetta's work has a dynamism - a punch factor - that Vellejo's doesn't. Frazetta was the master' date=' and probably still is. Few can do what he did as well as he did it.[/quote']

Vallejo does some amazing things with color and blending of color, as well as achieving certain effects (water, smoke, and so on). He also has excellent understanding of anatomy. Frazetta, as you say, was far more dynamic a painter with a "rougher" and more exaggerated look to his art. Boris's paintings always look posed (mostly because they are), while Frazetta's have life to them.

Then there's Michael Whelan.... :thumbup: