Chronicles of Gor

Steve

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Chronicles of Gor

Oh for the love of...

Why don't we go read Wizard's First Rule - at least then the mistresses of pain and their Agiel's are painted as pitiable, and not the stern masters who give us our freedom by enslaving us to their way of thinking.

I swear, everytime I think about that I get sick. I saw an episode of House about a guy who enjoyed getting choked out by his mistress, and it was all about "being free by giving someone else control." Screw you, lady, I'll keep control, thanks very much.

I saw an episode of House about a guy who enjoyed getting choked out by his mistress' date=' and it was [i']all [/i]about "being free by giving someone else control." Screw you, lady, I'll keep control, thanks very much.

Oh, so you're a control freak, then? You like to be the one doing the choking?

:sneaky:

Back in junior high, I actually had an English teacher, female, recommend the first 5 or so of the series as well constructed books in their genre. She said after that that the books went downhill in both writing quality and their content.

I never had the nerve to ask just how many books of the series she read.

Archon

Back in junior high' date=' I actually had an English teacher, female, recommend the first 5 or so of the series as well constructed books in their genre. She said after that that the books went downhill in both writing quality and their content.[/quote']

I think I'll stick to Robert E Howard, thanks.

Back in junior high, I actually had an English teacher, female, recommend the first 5 or so of the series as well constructed books in their genre. She said after that that the books went downhill in both writing quality and their content.

I never had the nerve to ask just how many books of the series she read.

Archon

I don't suppose you have her phone number?

Just kidding.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary and I are amazed at this thread's longevity....

Chronicles of Gor

So I guess no one here is interested in Gor HERO? :D

Well, as I recall Susano AKA Surbrook has a write-up for a Gorean Priest-King (No idea why they're called that by the way - king makes a certain sense, but priests of what??) and probably has other write-ups and relevant rules files.

After all, I understand he has write-ups for M.A.S.H, (including how the skill Meatball Surgery works) all American presidents up to Roosevelt, Polynesian Weresharks, all the named Toons of Who Framed Roger Rabbit, The A Team, Roman gladiators, magick and creatures for Andre Norton's Witch World, several medeival saints, Conan the Barbarian's parents, R2D2 and C3P0, Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser, and the crew of the Enterprise (which Enterprise? Any of 'em! You want the sailing ship, the modern aircraft carrier, Kirk's ship....)

Okay, I'm exaggerating, but if you want something "statted out" in Hero, Susano probably has it. And I won't be surprised if he does have a few things from that list of unlikeliness I slapped together.

Lucius Alexander

Palindromedary copyright Palindromedary Enterprises 1991

Well' date=' as I recall Susano AKA Surbrook has a write-up for a Gorean Priest-King (No idea why they're called that by the way - king makes a certain sense, but priests of what??) and probably has other write-ups and relevant rules files.[/quote']

For the record, I didn't create those. They were sent to me. Check the bottom of any character sheet to see who made it. In this case:

The Priest-Kings of GOR are a creation of John Norman.

Profile by GenghisJef@aol.com

If there is no attribution, odds are I didn't do the character sheet, but don't know who did.

After all, I understand he has write-ups for M.A.S.H, (including how the skill Meatball Surgery works) all American presidents up to Roosevelt, Polynesian Weresharks, all the named Toons of Who Framed Roger Rabbit, The A Team, Roman gladiators, magick and creatures for Andre Norton's Witch World, several medeival saints, Conan the Barbarian's parents, R2D2 and C3P0, Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser, and the crew of the Enterprise (which Enterprise? Any of 'em! You want the sailing ship, the modern aircraft carrier, Kirk's ship....)

Okay, I'm exaggerating, but if you want something "statted out" in Hero, Susano probably has it. And I won't be surprised if he does have a few things from that list of unlikeliness I slapped together.

I have a Great White Shark write-up, which you could use to create a were-shark. ^_^

As for the rest? Uhm.... no, no, no, no... never ready any... and....

Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser are on my list once I can collect the entire run of novels. I have volumes I & II.

Don't be surprised at the thread's longevity. Be afraid.

Be very afraid. I am. Of course, I scare easily. The second I focus in on something, everything else blacks out (Easily Surprised, Uncommon, minor). I have to take the Concentration lim on everything I do.

Yes, I'm already getting a little too vested in the system for my own good.

After all' date=' I understand he has write-ups for M.A.S.H, (including how the skill Meatball Surgery works) all American presidents up to Roosevelt, Polynesian Weresharks, all the named Toons of Who Framed Roger Rabbit, The A Team, Roman gladiators, magick and creatures for Andre Norton's Witch World, several medeival saints, Conan the Barbarian's parents, R2D2 and C3P0, Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser, and the crew of the Enterprise (which Enterprise? Any of 'em! You want the sailing ship, the modern aircraft carrier, Kirk's ship....)[/quote']

I have a Great White Shark write-up' date=' which you could use to create a were-shark. ^_^[/quote']

If you want, I can send you the write-up I did for Jagdgauner from my WWII-era game, though he's German and not Polynesian...

Chronicles of Gor

For the record, I didn't create those. They were sent to me. Check the bottom of any character sheet to see who made it. In this case:

The Priest-Kings of GOR are a creation of John Norman.

Profile by GenghisJef@aol.com

If there is no attribution, odds are I didn't do the character sheet, but don't know who did.

I have a Great White Shark write-up, which you could use to create a were-shark. ^_^

As for the rest? Uhm.... no, no, no, no... never ready any... and....

Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser are on my list once I can collect the entire run of novels. I have volumes I & II.

Darn. I was hoping you WOULD have something for Witch World.

And while I admire your modesty in admitting you don't always CREATE the materiel you make available, you do a great service in enabling our access to it.

Lucius Alexander

Implied by its absence.

Darn. I was hoping you WOULD have something for Witch World.

Never even read any that I recall.

And while I admire your modesty in admitting you don't always CREATE the materiel you make available, you do a great service in enabling our access to it.

Thank you.

I've never heard of Witch World' date=' either. I don't know where that falls on the scale of good vs. bad.[/quote']

It falls in the middle of the scale, generally labelled Neutral or Whatever, depending on what colour hair elves have in your world.

That's not a slam on the books - one of the series (the Crystal Gryphon, specifically) was one of my fave fantasy books as a kid. It's just that Andre Norton is a) mostly out of print and B) the books are classified as "juvenile fiction" so kids prefer to read stuff like ... oh the Gor series - and adults skim over it. So it's not much on the radar

I dunno that I would care for them now, but the Witch World series (basically a series of only loosely-related short series set in a world of war poltics and magic) was pretty much as good as juvenile fantasy novels got when I was a kid. And I read the first 5 or 6 Gor novels too :idjit: - I'd read anything back then, as long as it was fantasy/Sci fi.

You youngsters are lucky you never had to read the turgid new wave stuff that oozed out of the UK in the early 70's.

cheers, Mark

Pshaw. I read through Xanth up to... either Ogre, Orgre or Nightmare, I'm not sure which was the last before they utterly went to pieces and he really started reaching. I also read chunks of average drek fantasy, although my sister was big on McCafferty/Dragons of Pern I never got into it, nor was I able to swallow the bitter pill called Yadda of Shannara, which makes me a blasphemer in some circles. I read a lot more Jr. Lit than fantasy, and the bulk of the fantasy was mythology.

I had weird reading habits. I prefered writing in general, though, and that's what I've stuck with the whole time. I'm still resisting the urge to read a Gor novel, but I think that's because I like my mind. I might pick up Grunts, though. OH, and I read a lot of Heinlein and Harrison, which was alternately preachy and amusing.