Experience Points

Super Squirrel

Bob, Joe, and Steve are in two different campaigns of the same genre. Both are run by the same GM.

Week 1, Campaign 1:

Game is a stand alone, long adventure. The adventure is difficult. However, the players simply aren't providing any decent roleplay.

Thus the session is worth 3 XP.

Week 1, Campaign 2:

Tonight is part one of a two part adventure. The adventure is difficult and the players roleplay very well.

This session is worth no XP as the adventure is not complete yet.

Week 2, Campaign 1:

A complete repeat of the previous week. Roleplay is alright but not poor.

Thus the session is worth 3 XP.

Week 2, Campaign 2:

Second part of the two part adventure. The adventure is difficult and the players roleplay very well.

Campaign 2 is worth 5 XP points. (2 Base + 1 Extra Session + 1 Difficult + 1 Excellent Roleplay)

Why is it a multipart adventure that had excellent roleplay worth less XP than a two single adventure with blah roleplay?

Re: Experience Points

Answer: It's not.

I don't have any problem handing out XP in the middle of a long adventure arc. Nor do I hesitate to give only a single point for a session or sessions which had no noteworthy roleplaying, especially a combat scenario. I'll always give 1 point just for being there. Anything else is optional. The amount I usually give out is 2 XP; and I very rarely give 3.

I've been considering giving a bonus point to one player based on a poll of the players as to who roleplayed best or had the best idea during a scenario.

I would have assumed that for multiple session you get a Good RPing point per Session with Good RPing, not 1 for generalized Good RPing for the adventure...

And sometimes it's nice to base a multi-session adventure on what you would give if it were a standalone and give some XP part waythrough. If the first session is worth 4XP I might give 2 of that at the end of the session and save the other 2 for the end of the Adventure itself...

I think that helps Character Growth during the game and not just off screen.

Guest taxboy4

That helps as far as the XP I give out with multiple part games versus a stand alone. The game rules seem to indicate that it would be per Adventure not per Session.

i FIND THE 1-3 POINTS A LITTLE RESTRICTIVE AND HAVE A CHART FOR (oops - caps) various actions, so much for each session of roleplaying, a sliding scale for ideas, a base number for combat (minimal) and the pc's earn 1 character point for each total 1000 points given out. I often give out points on the spot for a particularly good idea of short burst of roleplaying.

Gives the group incentive to play cleverly and roleplay properly.

We play only once every two weeks but our group awards experience at the end of each secession even if it is a multi-part scenario. Between adventures you can spend you XP on anything that is within reason for the character. XP that awarded mid-adventure generally are either banked or spend on skills and abilities that the character has been using up to that point. This not a hard rule just a general understanding that everyone is good about following.

My just started Dark Champions campaign the characters are low-powered (50+50 points), thus I was pretty generous on XP for the first secession. One of the contributing factor in our games, for awarding XP is play balance. If the GM feels that the characters are too weak then he's generous with the XP. IF the characters are already pretty powerful then he may be a little more stingy.

Why is it a multipart adventure that had excellent roleplay worth less XP than a two single adventure with blah roleplay?

GM Error?

Unless he disagreed with you about the level of the roleplaying, I do not know why he would award you less for the multi-part adventure.

I always award the XP for a multi-session game after each session. It basically gets treated exactly the same as two single sessions would.

This only works because of the way I treat XP generally, that is, a player must be able to rationally explain how his character got better at or learned the skill/attribute/power whatever they spent their XP on.

Not only does this sometimes force players to wait until the end of the multipart adventure sometimes, it also forces them to roleplay some elements of the story that would normally get the handwave treatment.

You should suggest to your GM that

1. XP should NOT be based on how long it took you to get through the adventure, and should always be based on how well you played, how long you played, and similar factors. It took Frodo a damn long time to get to the end of his first adventure, imagine how mad he would be if you awarded him 3 xp for it.

2. To avoid the "I learned how to speak dwarvish last night in my sleep" syndrome, require players have a rational explanation for where they spent their points.

Good Luck,

I have not done a ton of GMing for champions, but hen I do, I throw out 3 XP to each player for each full adventure played. I also give out one XP to each player who was particularly entertaining or inventive. So it works out to about 12 XP per month if you play weekly, and players have the ability to earn more if they're really into it.

I use the guidelines below. "Session" means, well, a single session; one afternoon or evening's worth of gaming. "Adventure" means the complete story arc, which usually encompasses multiple sessions. All XPs are granted at the end of the adventure.

A couple of notes... The minimum possible XP award is 1 XP per session played, even if modifiers would otherwise have made it less than that. The only exception to that rule is the XP penalty for excessive disruption of the game; that can actually drive the XP award as low as 0. Also, I don't usually give XP for hosting the game, because I think the drawbacks of hosting (intrusion) are largely balanced by the benefits (home turf).

Participation

1 XP per session (regardless of the length of the session).

Roleplaying

-1 XP per session for unusually poor roleplaying.

+0 XP per session for adequate or uneven roleplaying.

+1 XP per session for unusually good roleplaying.

+2 XP per session for virtuoso roleplaying (rarely given).

Challenge Level

-1 XP per adventure for unusually easy opposition.

+0 XP per adventure for somewhat challenging opposition.

+1 XP per adventure for unusually challenging opposition.

+2 XP per adventure for exceptionally challenging opposition.

Success Level

-1 XP per adventure if the heroes fail (they capture no significant villains, and they fail to stop the important elements of the villain's plan).

+0 XP per adventure for a mixed bag of success/failure (the heroes capture some of the villains not but others, or they thwart some of the villain's plan but not all of it, etc.).

+1 XP per adventure for a successful resolution (the heroes capture all or almost all of the villains, or they thwart all the important parts of the villain's plan, etc.).

+1 XP per significant mystery solved, per character who played a key role in its solution.

+2 XP per adventure for a resounding success (the heroes defeat and thwart the villains utterly).

Stakes

-1 XP per adventure if the consequences of failure would be minor, or relatively easily reversed in a future adventure.

+0 XP per adventure if the consequences of failure would be relatively serious, or reversing them would be possible-but-difficult.

+1 XP per adventure if the consequences of failure would be very serious, or reversing them would be impossible (or almost impossible).

+2 XP per adventure if the consequences of failure would be catastrophic, and reversing them would be impossible (or almost impossible).

Miscellanous & Metagame

-1 XP per session for being excessively disruptive to the game (repeatedly engaging in loud side conversations when the action is on other characters, holding up the game with lengthy rules arguments after the GM's ruling has been made, etc.)

+1 XP per session for working "in cahoots" with the GM (for example, faithfully roleplaying a character who is really an imposter).

+1 XP per session for writing up a record of the session (this can be passed from player to player, so all can share the wealth).

+1 XP per incident at the GM's discretion for doing other cool things that make the game better (making a character sketch for a fellow player who's not artistic, finding nifty references for the GM (maps, play aids, etc.) providing munchies or drinks for the group, etc. etc.)

In the game I'm currently in, we get 3 xp at the end of each session and then bonus xp at the end of each adventure. We are allowed to spend points as we wish but everything must be discussed with the GM prior to spending, of course all power builds, etc, must be okayed by the GM as well. Of course, the GM has an idea of what direction we are all heading in and is working into game our developing of powers, so at some points we actually "use" powers that we don't have for story purposes.

Cheers :cheers:

I use the guidelines below. "Session" means, well, a single session; one afternoon or evening's worth of gaming. "Adventure" means the complete story arc, which usually encompasses multiple sessions. All XPs are granted at the end of the adventure.

A couple of notes... The minimum possible XP award is 1 XP per session played, even if modifiers would otherwise have made it less than that. The only exception to that rule is the XP penalty for excessive disruption of the game; that can actually drive the XP award as low as 0. Also, I don't usually give XP for hosting the game, because I think the drawbacks of hosting (intrusion) are largely balanced by the benefits (home turf). --snip--

Good to know!

*makes notes*

:D

Award experience as it seems appropriate, not according to some scheme or rule. Personally, for each session I predetermine the max the session is worth based upong the time invovled and events that occured, and then award xp individually on a descending scale from that amount.

I also usually grant an extra point that is put to a vote -- usually a Most Valuable Player (which goes to the PLAYER not the CHARACTER, and includes consideration for any NPC's they portrayed, their overall performance if they are playing multiple characters, and even if they did something out of the game itself to make the game possible / more fun like provide maps, illustrations, painted a miniature for another players character, wrote up the last session and read it entertainingly, and things like that), but some other common ones Ive used are Most Amusing Character, and Best Roleplaying. I pick one on the fly, looking for one that two or more characters / players are in close competition for.

These voted points are fully discretionary -- the winner can do whatever they want with them. If they have multiple PC's they can give them to whichever they like. They can grant them to favored NPCs (in which case they get a 1:5 trade off like a Follower or Vehicle). They can even, if they want, grant them to another player or PC.

I also occassionally stage events or exercises extraneous to the game itself. This takes many forms, ranging from news articles, detailing NPCs to populate the setting with, flavor opportunities, and whatnot. I grant 1 point for participation and then everyone votes on the best one for another point.

I also let players go into debt on their characters where it makes sense, usually no more than 10 points (but moderated by the point level of the campaign -- for instance not more that 3 or so in a low point game). Until they pay off the debt, all xp they gain must go towards it.

Im generally pretty permissive w/ XP once it is won, but strict with awarding it if it makes sense. Players earn their XP; I'll give 1 or on occasion 0 xp to one character and 5 to another for the same session based upon merit. When I grant xp I go around the table and give my analysis of each character's play for the period the xp is being rewarded, complete w/ good things and things that were lacking (if any in both cases). The player can offer some mild rebuttal on various points, and other players can chip in with critique or support.

My take on granting xp is that character growth is an important aspect to RPGs; its what seperates it from wargames and passive fiction -- the ability to develop a character over time into something impressive. I try to grant enough xp that character growth is semi-constant, but to also be miserly enough that each point gained is a precious resource, carefully hoarded and grudgingly spent.

I also use xp as a tool modulate the game at a higher level. Sometimes there are plot elements that I want to introduce that require the PCs to be more capable than they are; rather than discard the plot elements I'll start granting a little more xp, get more permissive with letting characters go a little into debt, and generally ramp the PC's up subtley. There are other times when I want certain arcs to play out and I don't want the PC's just xp'ing up and over-powering them so I slow xp down, get very miserly with characters going into debt, and offering fewer opportunities for extraneous xp.

I dont do any of this according to some guideline, rule, chart, or matrix; I do it by feel. I keep the pulse of the group's dynamic under my finger and use xp as one of many tools to keep the game interesting and to maintain a certain level of dramatic tension. Its one of the many small nuances that makes a difference between novice GM's and more experienced ones.

If it helps any, here's what I use:

Base XP for being in a scenario: 1 point

PCs were on a very long, involved adventure: 2 points

Adventure ran more than one session: +1 point

The adventure was difficult +1 point

Characters were heavily outnumbered +1 point

Characters were clever, inventive, or subtle +1 point

Players role-played well +1-3 points

Characters solved a mystery +1 point

Teamwork, both in and out of comabt +1-2 points

The adventure was a resounding success +1 point

Players role-played very poorly, or not at all -1 point

Playing solo, against team cohesion -1-3 points

The adventure was a terrible failure -1 point*

The italicized words were where I would stress the most important word(s) about experience. For example, in the bank and at the mansion, you weren't heavily outnumbered, even though the enemy had more. Now, had there been multiple supers with multiple 8-man teams of agents attacking you at the same time, then you would have been heavily outnumbered. Being outnumbered is genre for heroes, especially by simpleton agents. Overcoming great odds is the stuff legends are made of.

*For terrible failure, I'm refering to an adventure where the players had a good chance of winning, but really messed things up. There may be an adventure or two down the road where I expect you to lose (and may even design it that way), but if you play it like heroes in a comic, I won't consider it a terrible failure at all. Something terrible would be allowing innocents to get hurt, captured or killed where you had a reasonable opportunity to prevent this, but messed it up with lousy roleplaying decisions or just trying straight combat where that wouldn't have been prudent.

I hand out XP by the adventure, not per session. Partly because I don't want to have to worry about character updates each and every session. But mostly because I think experience should be awarded based on goals acheived, not how long you spend at the table.

Let's say Group A is playing an adventure, and takes 2 sessions to finish out the story. Maybe they spend too much time checking out a dead-end, or spend half the night planning out the attack in excrutiating detail, or maybe they just spend half the night BSing and trading movie quotes.

But Group B plays the same adventure, pushes through it agressively, and wraps the whole thing up in one session. Should they get less XP than Group A for playing better (or at least quicker)?

bigdamnhero

“See how I'm not hitting him? I think I've grown.â€

For example' date=' in the bank and at the mansion, you weren't heavily outnumbered, even though the enemy had more. Now, had there been multiple supers with multiple 8-man teams of agents attacking you at the same time, then you would have been heavily outnumbered. Being outnumbered is genre for heroes, especially by simpleton agents. Overcoming great odds is the stuff legends are made of.[/quote']

Um, heh, :o for this part, it's been put in because generally the first scenario/adventure I run tends to involve a bank robbery. It's a general ground-breaker classic method of starting up a campaign.

I hand out XP by the adventure' date=' not per session.[/quote']

Ditto.

Base

1 XP per session

Bonus

+1 XP for individual exceptional roleplaying

+1 XP for "As Powerful" Opposition

+2 XP for "More Powerful" Opposition

-1 XP if group fails to succeed at meetable objectives

+1 XP if Adventure was a resounding success

+1 XP if group makes GM cry for defeating something not meant to be defeated

-5 XP if group makes GM cry for any other reasons at all

-1 XP Metagaming Penalty

-1 XP Repeated game distractions after a warning

GM Assigned Bonus

1 XP Assignment for writing notes for game

1 XP Assignment for contribution to game (art, creating npcs, npc backstories, etc)

1 XP Excellent Roleplay between group and NPC

GM Assigned Bonuses are usually put towards Contacts, Perks, and Background Skills

I hand out XP by the adventure, not per session. Partly because I don't want to have to worry about character updates each and every session. But mostly because I think experience should be awarded based on goals acheived, not how long you spend at the table.

Let's say Group A is playing an adventure, and takes 2 sessions to finish out the story. Maybe they spend too much time checking out a dead-end, or spend half the night planning out the attack in excrutiating detail, or maybe they just spend half the night BSing and trading movie quotes.

But Group B plays the same adventure, pushes through it agressively, and wraps the whole thing up in one session. Should they get less XP than Group A for playing better (or at least quicker)?

bigdamnhero

I would think in a "traditional" (if that's even accurate, hence the quotes) schema that Group B would be ahead because they completed objectives for which they''ll get XP atop the session XP, so they go on to a new set of objectives in session 2 whereas Group A is still working on the same objectives in session 1.

Regardless, I like mixing awards for both, because I don't see why a group should similarly be unduly penalized for not achieving some sort of preordained objective should the RPing take them elsewhere. I think staying just on objectives makes for too competitive a form of play.

That is not to suggest your way is wrong since it's all taste, just responding as I think about your post.

bigdamnhero

Group A should get more XP for the entire adventure BECAUSE they did that extra planning and took the time to make sure everything went smoothly. Now, if they just talked about stuff not in the game, that's another matter, then you're right, they shouldn't get more XP for the adventure.

Group A should get more XP for the entire adventure BECAUSE they did that extra planning and took the time to make sure everything went smoothly. Now' date=' if they just talked about stuff not in the game, that's another matter, then you're right, they shouldn't get more XP for the adventure.[/quote']

That may not be true ... Group B may have gotten lucky with a quick combat ... if Group A had a combat that, for reasons of dice rolling, took 2 hours and Group B managed to pop through in a few lucky rolls and took only 1 hour of Session Time they get penalized a bit for that?

Or say Group B was more "in sync" with each other's thinking and planning took much less real time since everyone seemed to be on the same page from the outset and little time was need to explain what was otherwise the same plan so it was executed more quickly.

I think assuming that the group who took more Real Time to complete the objective had better plans, or more thought out plans, is a mistake - it may hold true most of the time but certainly not all of it.

Take one group I'm in .. we've been playing the same characters together for 2 years - what would have taken us 4 hours when we started now takes us 1-2 because everyone automatically slips into a given role within a certain level of preplanned ideas ... we know what characters X and Y will do, we have it down pay how the team will move in. Most of the time we simply decide we need something and now plan "on the fly" because we know which person is recon, which is backup, whose in charge of the getaway and all the little details we've been over and over.. so what was a 2 session adventure at the start is now a 1 session or part of a session simply due to us knowing without saying what each other will do.

I don't like basing XP on "Physical Time Spent" in most occasions ... it doesn't always work that way from a character POV.