Homages you would like to see officially

Hermit

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Homages you would like to see officially

But the Shi'Ar Imperial Guard have been described as nothing more than a "tribute" to the Legion Of Super Heros ! So this other lot is a tribute to a tribute ? This is getting just a bit incestuous don't you think ?

;) *cough cough* Squadron Supreme *cough cough*.

Another possibility would be the Hellfire Club, though they may have gotten a nod in one of the mystic books which I regrettably still don't own.

But the Shi'Ar Imperial Guard have been described as nothing more than a "tribute" to the Legion Of Super Heros ! So this other lot is a tribute to a tribute ? This is getting just a bit incestuous don't you think ?

An amalgamated homage is then called for, perhaps. The Legionairre Guard of Malva with dozens of members (only the top 5 or 6 with detailed write-ups)

An amalgamated homage is then called for' date=' perhaps. The Legionairre Guard of Malva with dozens of members (only the top 5 or 6 with detailed write-ups)[/quote']

That'd be a great project for some enterprising Herophile to license and create. I'm not sure if Malva would be the best choice [The Mandaarian Guard might be better] seeing as how their society has gladitorial games and such, but it would still be a great project to see done.

Eh, if we use their Terran Empire write-up, Malva is an utterly degenerate snakepit. Ten out of ten on the evil-o-meter. Fortunately for the rest of the galaxy, they're so mired in decadence that they have little energy left over for active malevolence.

(Let me put it this way. Firewing compares in morality to Terran Empire Malva about the same way that Captain America compares in morality to Earth-Marvel. Given how amoral Firewing is?)

But yeah, definitely not a place to base a galactic hero team, or even an antihero team.

I'd probably base a Legion-style hero team in the Conjoined Civilizations Republic. It seems to be pretty benevolent and racially diverse (what with the Se'ecra always "uplifting" other species).
I'd say Velarian space is a more likely candidate. They have more "issues" of the type an interstellar superhero team would need to handle, what with the Varanyi being right next door and all that.

I miss Black Claw, the cowardly Wolverine homage.

Remember when Oculon was a whiny, incompetent homage to Cyclops ?

And of course, Eurostar was a wonderful homage to the Uncanny X-Men.

Homages to see:

- Shi'ar Imperial Guard / Legion of Superheroes. Dave Cockrum knew how to take a good thing with him when he went from DC to Marvel. Let's see a nice take on it from Hero.

- Extremists. A villain team from the world that gave us DC's doppelgangers of the Avengers (part of a nod-and-a-wink 'crossover' between the two companies that also gave us the Squadron Sinister/Squadron Supreme/Supreme Power)

- DNAgents

- Jon Sable, Freelance

- Bill Willingham's Elementals

- The member of the Masq who has all the powers of the Fab 5

- Annihilus

Planetary, the Authority, the Secret Six, even the Wrecking Crew could all be nicely 'riffed' on. Firestorm's transmutation abilities could be cool.

The current Green lantern storyline suggesting a single alien race is responsible for a subset of GL's rogue's gallery who all are all 'evolved' specimens would be interesting.

For that matter, the Identity Crisis notions of a premiere superhero team who have a dark secret, a villain whose specialities are information and networking, and the villains who team up to battle the heroes could all be interesting themes.

Or, at the other extreme, a small set of street smart heroes used in a Secret War to destabilize a small European country or international corporation that was funding high-tech gadget-oriented villains as terrorists. Maybe UNTIL has the same rogue elements as SHIELD, maybe not.

The manipulative mind controllers/puppeteers from Dan Simmons' novel (Cold Comforts ? Creature Comforts ?) could be excellent.

Our mad friend from Popup could be cool. Absorbing Man, DC's Amazing Man, Klaw, and the Thunderbolts are all nice ideas.

I'd say Velarian space is a more likely candidate. They have more "issues" of the type an interstellar superhero team would need to handle' date=' what with the Varanyi being right next door and all that.[/quote']

Well, the CCR is also next door to the Varanyi; but the Velarian Confederation is described as more fractious, so there might be more need for an oversight organization - a sort of interstellar UNTIL, with their own version of UNITY. And the factionalism of the VC might spill over onto Earth.

I had thought that a CCR team would play better as straight goodguys and sometime PC allies, but on reflection I agree that the VC might offer more story opportunities.

FF were a Challengers tribute / rip-off from the start. I thought merging the two tributes in the DH article was a clever approach.

I always thought the one-shot from the Amalgam Universe about the Challengers of the Fantastic was about the best one there was. It lost nothing from combining the two universes- and felt right at home in either SA or modern "continuity".

Amazo and Absorbing Man are the two that need the treatment the most.

And of course, Eurostar was a wonderful homage to the Uncanny X-Men.

Huh?

I was getting ready to suggest the X-men in general and Wolverine in particular. Anyway, let's look into possible connections:

1. Fiacho: I don't see it

2. Durak: Russian brick albeit nasty and non-metallic. I guess he's Colossus

3. Bora: Storm. That makes sense

4. Mentalla: she's kinda generic to be honest but I guess she could be a decent Psylocke.

5. WhiteFlame/Feur = Sunfire

6. Panthera = Wolverine.

7. Whip = ?

8. LeSone = ? Outside of the Cylcops like visor, he's not a homage.

I don't see the homage although there are some similarities. That said, so many are just archetypes (the brick, mentalist, etc), then there can just be coincidences.

Regarding the Thunderbolts, I actually had a similar idea but didn't get too far:

Leader: Utility: with his skills and tech, he could easily be a new costumed idea.

Ogre: stick a mask on him and tell him to shut up. Now sell it to the world that he's just a simple man who was tossed into an acidic bath yet granted him his powers. But despite the scars and losing his voice, he heroically fights so that no one else will ever have to undergo what he went through. Ahh...... makes you tear up, doesn't it?

That's about as far as I got. I had an idea for Esper but darn if I can remember it now. A telekinrtic could be a superman type by using TK to simulate flight, strength, and toughness. Take a shape shifter and make them stay as a sexy cat girl.

Hilarious idea for Ogre -- give him a holographic disguise, complete with synthesized voice. Then have somebody else do his talking. Ogre just has to not move around too much and stay quiet.

... yes, of COURSE this will fail disastrously at the dramatically appropriate time. Did that even need to be said? :)

If Pulsar could learn to control himself a little bit, he could make a decent "leader" type, as long as someone else is making the decisions. Stick him in a flag suit and call him something patriotic, and you've got yourself a real cool cat. As long as he keeps his mouth shut. Icicle/Frostbite is a natural for a new costume, and could you all see Foxbat as the mysterious benefactor who funds the group? Couldja?

Guest Suleyman Rashid

No' date=' it's probably not as bad as you're thinking, but let's say I didn't have a group that was much of a threat past 350 without some MAJOR work.[/quote']

For some reason, I'm guessing the Geodesics.

The best part about the Thunderbolts was that they used second string Marvel villains and re-imagined them with new gear / personas. So using 350 pt villains or less as the basis for a Thunderbolts homage makes some sense.

From proditor's remarks, I at first suspected he was going to use CLOWN. :eek:

I received confirmation from him that it's not them.

I've used CLOWN and Grab as NPC Hero teams. There was very little that needed to be changed. Grab actually worked better that way. ;)

I would not mind seeing a "family" of characters which are so popular at DC. Something along the lines of:

Superman: Supergirl, Superboy, Powergirl, Krypto.

Batman: Nightwing, Robin, Batgirl, Batwoman.

Captain Marvel: Mary Marvel, CM Jr, Uncle Marvel.

Flash: Flash I, Kid Flash.

Green Lantern (Hal): John, Kyle, Guy, Alan, Jade.

Inter-linked extended families can be interesting within the game, IMO.

I would not mind seeing a "family" of characters which are so popular at DC. Something along the lines of:

Superman: Supergirl, Superboy, Powergirl, Krypto.

Batman: Nightwing, Robin, Batgirl, Batwoman.

Captain Marvel: Mary Marvel, CM Jr, Uncle Marvel.

Flash: Flash I, Kid Flash.

Green Lantern (Hal): John, Kyle, Guy, Alan, Jade.

Inter-linked extended families can be interesting within the game, IMO.

Hawkman and Hawkwoman, right? :bounce: