Homages you would like to see officially

Hermit

Another thread got me thinking, while it can be a fine line to walk, many homages in the CU already exist to comic book characters. Mechanon, for example, is (IMO anyway) a great homage to Ultron. With a new Enemies book on the way next year, now might be the time to voice what sort of homages you either haven't seen but would like, or think could have been done better.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Homages you would like to see officially

Well, I like Grond a lot, but he just doesn't have quite enough raw oomph to fit the niche of "Hulk Smash!". Even the Ultimate Brick update only gets him in the ballpark IMHO. A little defensive boost would handle most of it.

I think I'd like to see some of the alien races move up a little bit. By that I mean that there doesn't seem to be one overweening race a la the Kree or Skrull in Marvel or the vast panoply of DC's GL Corps. Sure we have the Malvans, but let's see some more of them including some standard troopers so we can run a nice little invasion. Those are practically required by the genre after all.

That's off the top of my head, I'm sure something else will come to me later.

Hmm. Offhand, I don't think there's one I'd really like to see done officially. My group's already done most of the homages I'd like to see, and I doubt I'd like the "official" take on most folks.

Homages from the past I've liked:

VIPER - great HYDRA ripoff. I detest the "huge AI" or "giant mystic snake" stuff at the core of the more recent versions though. What's wrong with bad humans being a serious menace on their own?

Mechanon - well done, in some ways better than the original.

Binder - taking Paste-Pot Pete to the next level.

Anklyosaur - great armored crook - would fit in fine as a Spider-Man villain.

* A powerful Mimic/Drainer in the mold of Parasite or the Super-Adaptoid. Someone the PCs would be frightened of immediately.

* A "bizarro" or anti-earth Vanguard [Vanguard being a major move/shaker before he died]

* Mordace is the CUs Sinestro, let's see the full-blown official version [and, of course, the official Star*Guard as well :)].

* An official villain group made up of the enemies of the members of the Sentinels like the Legion of Doom or Masters of Evil.

* The CU's Juggernaut. The one person who can't be stopped [except by his laughter-induced weakness to Foxbat jokes :)].

* A low-powered cosmic threat like Galactus and his heralds.

* Apes baby. Me needs my Gorilla Grodd type to give Dr. Silverback some grief.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

:eek:

Galactus is a low-powered cosmic threat?

Any decent writeup of an homage to him would give you a character who'd make Dr. D. need a change of armor.

Or were you being humorous?:)

Compared to threats like the Anti-Monitor, Darkseid, Thanos, and some others Galactus is fairly easy to defeat. You can defeat the heralds, you can reason with him, you can lure him somewhere else. Galactus is a powerful two-trick pony but if you can get around those two tricks there's nothing to him.

Compared to threats like the Anti-Monitor' date=' Darkseid, Thanos, and some others Galactus is fairly easy to defeat. You can defeat the heralds, you can reason with him, you can lure him somewhere else. Galactus is a powerful two-trick pony but if you can get around those two tricks there's nothing to him.[/quote']

yep, you could argue that. When he's not "hungry", though, unwise heroes who provoke him risk the invocation of the "confetti rule"(the Car Wars rule--if your vehicle takes damage = or greater than weight/50, pick up a bunch of debris counters and drop them where the car used to be).

He's certainly stronger "head to head" than the others you mention, with the probable exception of the Anti-Monitor.

It doesn't matter where they rank him only how they portray him. He's not considered to be in the Elder's category there' date=' except for his ability to suck the life out of planets.[/quote']

He ate them in an old issue of the 2nd edition Silver Surfer(they gave him cosmic indigestion, IIRC). Every portrayal of the Elders and the big G I've seen reinforces the impression that they aren't quite on his power level.

yep, you could argue that. When he's not "hungry", though, unwise heroes who provoke him risk the invocation of the "confetti rule"(the Car Wars rule--if your vehicle takes damage = or greater than weight/50, pick up a bunch of debris counters and drop them where the car used to be).

He's certainly stronger "head to head" than the others you mention, with the probable exception of the Anti-Monitor.

With Marvel's new cosmic Annihilation who knows where everyone is going to end up. :)

It doesn't matter where they rank him only how they portray him. He's not considered to be in the Elder's category there' date=' except for his ability to suck the life out of planets.[/quote']

Wow. Galactus must've really gone downhill since I've been reading. Back in the day everybody feared Galactus except Eternity, Death, and those cosmic 1000' tall fellas. I remember the Watcher dealing with a couple Elders at once one time, but even he stepped lightly around Galactus. Didn't he devour the Elder's at one time? Although the Big G's power levels always were capable of varying wildly based on when his last feeding was.

Wow. Galactus must've really gone downhill since I've been reading. Back in the day everybody feared Galactus except Eternity' date=' Death, and those cosmic 1000' tall fellas. I remember the Watcher dealing with a couple Elders at once one time, but even he stepped lightly around Galactus. Didn't he devour the Elder's at one time? Although the Big G's power levels always were capable of varying wildly based on when his last feeding was.[/quote']

I'm not saying Galactus isn't powerful [being able to suck the life out of anything is a powerful ability - Stormbringer without the sharp edge :)] but if you take that away from him he's not that powerful compared to many other cosmic entities. Galactus is sort-of like Rogue in that he has one ability which makes him feared. Take away the trick and you're just looking at a low-powered cosmic entity.

Anyway, I don't want to turn this thread into a Galactus debate. Too many threads have been derailed of late due to senseless debate over subjective opinion. I'll just say that I'd like to see a cosmic entity of lower power then the Examiner added to the game. :)

You are correct. He devoured the Elders handily that one time -- and they only gave him 'cosmic indigestion' because Death had withdrawn their ability to die at all, much like she did 'immortal Thanos' later. Had they not been so blessed, the Elders of the Universe would at present be embarked on new careers as whatever Galactus uses for intestinal flora.

The general MU cosmic ranking has the Big G currently just right under Eternity and Death, as the junior member of a trinity, sort of.

Granted, that's only if he's fully fed. Unlike those other two, his power level depends on keeping the fuel tank topped off. He starts running dry, there are temporary weaknesses.

And you are incorrect that Galactus' primary or only ability is his lifesucking attack. He has generic 'cosmic powers' on a scale that dwarfs any of his Heralds into ants, and has walked away alive from throwdowns with the pre-retcon 'infinite scale' Beyonder.

Anyway' date=' I don't want to turn this thread into a Galactus debate. Too many threads have been derailed of late due to senseless debate over subjective opinion. I'll just say that I'd like to see a cosmic entity of lower power then the Examiner added to the game. :)[/quote']

Hmmm. Maybe like Terminus or some such?

PS: Somebody remind who those 1000' tall cosmic fellas are! It's right on the tip of my tongue, darnit. Thought they were right up there with Eternity and Death.

The Celestials, and different editors have had (and mandated into being) vastly different ideas where they belong on the power scale over the years, so that there literally is no one correct answer that doesn't blatantly contradict about three other answers -- all of which are in continuity.

IOW, you file the Celestials under 'damned if I know, 'cause Marvel sure don't.'