Favorite Marvel 'What If?'

FenrisUlf

Just looked at a collection of the old What If comics from the 70's and boy, but did it bring back some good memories. What if... the radioactive spider bit someone besides Peter Parker? What if Jane Foster found the Hammer of Thor? (At least they gave her an actual Old Norse name in 'Thordis'.)

And my favorite What If -- the 50's Avengers. Venus, Goddess of Love! The Killer Robot! Marvel Boy! A talking gorilla (what's his superpower? He's a gorilla! He can talk! Isn't that enough?) who showed up in one lousy issue of Jungle Stories! And of course 3-D Man. I like it because it was so darned corny, esp. the almost painful attempts at using 50's hipster slang. Though the 'What If -- Rick Jones became the Hulk' dialogue was nearly as bad. ("Stupid green bug-man try pull a switchblade on Hulk? That ain't groovy, man!")

Are there any 'What If' fans out there, and if so, what was your favorite alternate Marvel Universe?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Favorite Marvel 'What If?'

What if Spiderman continued to have 6 arms?

Always thought it would have been a more interesting comic if Morbius:the Living Vampire had never existed (and was therefore unable to be used to cure Spiderman's excess arms.)

It was kind of amusing in the early days when someone tried to cure themselves of their powers and ended up making things worse (Spiderman, Beast, etc.)

Did anybody else ever get the old What If? humor issue? It featured such gems as 'What If Luke Cage had found Mjolnir?'

"By the gleamin' gates of funky Asgard, you suckas gonna EAT HAMMER!"

:D That's probably my favorite.

Dr. Doom as a hero, Baron Mordo as Sorceror Supreme, Tony Stark as Sorceror Supreme are all great as well.

Personal fave - What If the Marvel Bullpen became the Fantastic Four. Jack Kirby as the Thing was priceless.

For some reason that makes me think -- What If: Rob Liefeld became the Beyonder?

Just think, everything and everyone in the real world would look like a Liefeld character.

What If...Doctor Doom was a Pediatrician?

(it was a one-panel gag, of course).

For the more serious ones, I always liked the What If in which Jim Rhodes (when Stark was 'dead' and he became CEO) didn't shoot the Living Laser to Andromeda? That one was interesting, since they actually told it 3 different ways.

For some reason that makes me think -- What If: Rob Liefeld became the Beyonder?

Just think, everything and everyone in the real world would look like a Liefeld character.

Ewww! My head, it's bloating! and my feet seem to be stuck behind the scenery! And my crotch is smaller than Wonder Girl's (wait, that's true in any case :o)

:D

Guest Suleyman Rashid

I was always a fan of "What if someone else had been bitten by an irradiated spider", because it basically established that, in any world with a Peter Parker, he eventually became Spider-Man. And that's cool.

What If Anyone Who Ever Was An Avenger Stayed An Avenger? "There's a robbery at the candy store!" "Avengers Assemble!" "But... but... surely any one of us could..."

I've always been a big fan of the old What If? Comics :) My favs would have to be:

What if Dr. Doom were a Hero?

What If Pheonix Had Not Died?

What If The Beast & Thing Continued to Mutate?

What If Thor Battled Conan the Barbarian?

I Found a List on Wikipedia

Guest Suleyman Rashid

"And so the possible number of alternate universes is -- one less than infinity!"

Is that the one which ended with Korvac using the Ultimate Nullifier, because "while I am more powerful any any being in the universe, I am not more powerful than all beings in the universe", so to win he just destroyed it all?

Is that the one which ended with Korvac using the Ultimate Nullifier' date=' because "while I am more powerful any any being in the universe, I am not more powerful than all beings in the universe", so to win he just destroyed it all?[/quote']

That's the one. Not the type of story I usually like. But there was just something about that one.

I liked the simulated crowd noise in the "What if every Avenger was still an Avenger?" [watermeloncanteloupewatermeloncanteloupewatermeloncanteloupe] and the one-panel "What if Galactus ate the Earth?".

*burp*