Favorite Marvel 'What If?'

FenrisUlf

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Favorite Marvel 'What If?'

For me, hands down, it's What If #3, "What if the Avengers had Never Been". IMO, it's a perfect example of powerful storytelling told in a quick, economical style and it has the best Gil Kane/Klaus Janson art ever rendered to boot. I was about 13 years old when it came out and it's become one of my top 10, maybe top 5 comics since. More happened in that single issue than has in the entire runs of many modern books. Plus the characterization of Tony Stark is possibly the best I've ever read. It balanced his egocentricity and intellectual arrogance with his essential heroic ability to sacrifice himself for the good of others. The final sequence of him using the last reserve of his life support power to renergize Giant Man in order to save the others is one of the most striking examples of the pure heroic archetype ever shown in comics.

To me, one of the most striking things about the first 30 or so issues of the first run if "What If?" was the fact that while the stories were one shots they were not treated as filler or as throwaways. Every one was as carefully constructed as the best issues of any other series and. at times, I think "What If" was the best thing being published in any given month. Add that to the fact that the one shot format made each story even more special and, to me at least, you have the formula for one of the best books ever published.

No wonder they're reprinting them now in our current age of storytelling which has become so "decompressed" that you get the bends just reading half the books on the market.

Great thread. It brings back a lot of really great memories.

Vigil

"What if Captain America had formed the Avengers?", as the second half of a story begun in 'What if The Super-Soldier Serum Hadn't Been Lost?"

Granetd, it had a depressing ending, what with everybody dying heroically (heroically, yes, but still dead), but damned if Thor didn't get some really cool moments.

"What if Captain America had formed the Avengers?", as the second half of a story begun in 'What if The Super-Soldier Serum Hadn't Been Lost?"

Granetd, it had a depressing ending, what with everybody dying heroically (heroically, yes, but still dead), but damned if Thor didn't get some really cool moments.

Yes, I thought that one was cool. Frank Castle as Iron Man, Logan as the Hulk/Wendigo, Falcon/Sam Wilson as Giant-Man, Namor as an Avenger... very cool story. And the whole "America = Red Skull's Nazi Wonderland" was at least a new idea then. It's been beaten to death since by some writers.

• 4 years later...

TheQuestionMan's Top 5 Favorites:

1. "What If... Daredevil Was The Disciple Of Doctor Strange For The Love, Honor And The Soul Of Elektra"

http://marvel.wikia.com/Comics:What_If%3F_Vol_2_83

2. "What If... Captain America Were Not the Only Super Soldier in World War II?"

http://marvel.wikia.com/Comics:What_If%3F_Vol_2_28

3. "What If Annihilation Reached Earth?"

http://marvel.wikia.com/Comics:What_If%3F_Vol_6_2

4. "Last Light"

http://marvel.wikia.com/Comics:What_If%3F_Vol_2_97

5. "What If... Wolverine Had Married Mariko?"

http://marvel.wikia.com/Comics:What_If%3F_Vol_2_43

Cheers

QM

I loved the What If series. I still have most of them just sitting in my attic. (I wonder if they are worth anything?)

I liked them all (even the corny ones). I think my favorite was "What if the Fantastic 4 had different powers?"

What I didn't care for is what it changed into after they dropped the "What if..." and changed it to "What if starring..."

My favorite was the pure comedy issue someone mentioned before, with such classics as:

-- What If Iron Man had an Eating Problem Instead of a Drinking Problem?

-- What If Mr. Fantastic Never Invented Unstable Molecules?

-- What If All the Heroes in New York Moved to Cleveland?

On a more serious note, the one with alternate people getting bitten by the radioactive spider was handled well, as was the one where Gwen Stacy didn't die. (I've always been a big Spidey fan.)

IIRC, the one with Aunt May becoming a herald of Galactus wasn't a What If, but a Marvel Team-Up (Aunt May and Franklin Richards) during Assistant Editor's Month. But it was a fun issue, too.

my favorite was "WHAT IF THE AVENGERS HAD BEEN FORMED IN THE 1950'S" issue 25 of volume 1 ifmemory serves 3d man ' date='the human robot,,venus,andmarvel boy were recruited by FBI agent jimmy woo to rescue a kidnapped president eisenhuaer[excuse any mispelling'] from the yellow claw

Issue 9, actually.

My favourite too. Any team containing a robot, a gorilla, and a love goddess is pure win. The only thing missing was a dog.

I was always a fan of "What if someone else had been bitten by an irradiated spider", because it basically established that, in any world with a Peter Parker, he eventually became Spider-Man. And that's cool.

I loved that issue(its in with my Champions characters.;) )One of my friends wrote up the Peter Parker Spiderman & played him for a few years before he moved away.When he left I wrote up a Spiderman using the Flash Thompson version of Spiderman.Since I wrote him up in '87 I've only run him a hand full of times.(he started as a 300pt character has only earned around 75pt or so.)That actually the only issue of "What If" I ever bought.