Best SuperHero Fights ever

starblaze

In direct opposition to the Worst thread I would like to start one on the best Superhero fights. Here goes.

1. Spiderman vs. Juggernaut
  2. Daredevil vs. Namor
  3. The Avengers vs. the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants
  4. The Avengers vs. the alternative reality Avengers that were working for the Scarlet Centurion
  5. The Teen Titans second battle with the Fearsome Five in Titans Tower
  6. The Battle between Scourge and Baron Zemo II in Thunderbolts

The first two were good because it showed a hero fighting a villian (or a grey area character like Namor), even when they are outclassed.

The next three I liked because it was just a good superteam battle particularly the one between the Avengers and the Brotherhood. Can't think of more right now but I will post them if I do.

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Best SuperHero Fights ever

Thor vs. the Wrecking Crew and Mr. Hyde, in the fourth Masters of Evil assault on Avengers Mansion.

Glorious because they *so* had it coming. Not to mention the fun of having the Masters of Evil trash a second-string Avengers line-up piecemeal, get one-up on Hercules via drugging his booze beforehand, and start posturing like that made them badass or something...

... and then Thor just arrives and starts wiping out the entire side. Talk about highlighting the difference between *thinking* you're the man and genuinely *being* the man. :D

The X-Men vs. Magneto, UNCANNY X-MEN #150.

Fantastic because the Uncanny X-Men had to infiltrate Magneto's base, wreck his doomsday machine, and stop his plan without their powers. Until they smashed Magneto's power-damping projector about halfway through the issue, the X-Men were running solely on their skills & abilities. (Note -- Magneto himself, still at full strength. His power-damper would obviously be set to exclude him.)

Cyclops -- "It's not entirely hopeless. I'm a strategist. Ororo is a master thief. Kurt has his acrobatics, Peter his natural strength, Kitty her intelligence..."

Does animation count? Because Justice League Unlimited had a *hilarious* one.

In season 3 episode 9, 'Ultimatum', with Animated Aquaman punching the stuffing out of the Wonder Twin parodies.

After he's beaten the shapeshifter down, the water controller goes all Enraged -- 'Nobody does that to my sister! NOBODY!' -- and throws a mini-tsunami at Animated Aquaman...

... to have his expression of triumph fall apart in horror as the wave recedes, to reveal Aquaman just standing there looking contemptuously at him, one eyebrow raised.

"King of the Seas, remember?"

Water-boy then charged Aquaman and punched him in the chest, twice -- without about as much effect as punching a brick wall -- and Aquaman then contemptuously backhanded him into the air, spinning him around twice, to land as an unconscious heap.

Hilarious. :D

I realize that it was hardly bam pows and explosions, but I thought the battle between the the Red Skull and Captain America (I believe it was #300), Steve aged artificially and the Skull rather venerable as well fighting each other was iconic. The Red Skull ranting on this being how it was meant to be, and Steve answering "We are -not- gods! We're just two old men... grappling in the dark!"

Maybe, but it was a beautiful moment that summed up the entire relationship, the long battle between a master of hate and a hero of hope.

The Nemesis Kid/KK/Jeckie fight at the end of the first legion story arc with the "baxter" legion.

Nemesis kid finally realizing what power he could use to defeat KK (his own skills only better), trashing KK. Then Jeckie walks up, makes a speech about the hell that Nemesis will face and making a really nasty illusion to go with it, NK switching his power to make him immune to illusions, and Jeckie walking up and snapping his neck. Executing him as the Queen of the planet. Brilliant - and very emotional for a KK fan, even if he did lose - tightly written, and well done.

JLA vs the White Martians.

Yeah it was the first appearnce of the true Bat-god but even so that was a cool fight. Batman "I know what you are.". Diana and Clark's fights were each cool, and the broadcast to the planet, and everyone holding up fire, like they were at a worldwide rock concert. Just loved it.

Mimic taking on the Champion of the gladatorial arena.

This one was in the Exiles. Mimic had, IIRC, Wolverines Healing and claws, Pioter's metal body, Beasts agility, Quicksilver's speed, and Cyclops Eyebeams - all at half power of course. During the entire time in the arena, he never used the eyebeams. When it came to the final, and he was facing that worlds Captain America (although nowhere near as good, and sans shield). He eyeblasts from across the arena, and drops him. Fight over. While it had been talked up for the arena audiance. Sweet.

Ulitmate Cap vs Hulk and the later Ultimate Cap vs Goliath.

Just like seeing Cap (regular or ultimate) kickin' but and both those fights were great. In the goliath fight he wouldn't even use his fists until Goliath grew, he just slapped him around before that.

I forget the issue, but there was this one incident in BIRDS OF PREY where Babs, Dinah, and Helena are all out for a walk in their civilian clothes.

They get stopped by a mugger.

Black Canary and Huntress just look at each other, roll their eyes... and stick their hands in their pockets and step back, letting Barbara thrash the living hell out of the mook in question. From her wheelchair. :D

Not so much a fight, but characters learning to use thier powers in a fight sequence, in JLA foreign bodies, where a number of the team switched minds and bodies

Kyle in the Martian Manhunter's body, being creative with shapeshifting as he is with his ring doing a "My favorite martians" running through a 4 armed barsoomian, mars attacks, an apelike thing I didn't recognize and Marvin.

And teaching Steel, in his body, to use the ring. Steel "I'm not an artists, what do I make", and Kyle responding "You are an engeneer right, think blueprints" and the stuff coming out of the ring stars looking all mechanical with all the gears and nuts in place.

In the last fight, you have Cobra in Bats body fightin Supes in Cobra's body, yammering on about how useless Superman is without his powers and how he can now feel pain, and he's facing a master praticioner of the martial arts. Superman "Master eh, well there is training and experience"

"I leaned this one fighting Parasite"

"Doomsday didn't much like that one either"

"Pain, let me tell you something about pain. A few bruises are nothing compared to kryptonite"

And proceeds to take him down.

JLU season 1 episode 2, "For The Man Who Has Everything".

They took an Alan Moore classic -- and made it better. Animated Diana's throwdown against Animated Mongul was a classic in 'desperately fighting a battle you know you can't win to buy time for your friends'. And Animated Superman's tearing Mongul a new one later on, even better. But letting Diana have the finisher move... that was beautiful!

Diana -- "Excuse me. But I believe this is yours." *drops the Black Mercy on Mongul's head*

... hey, it's better than having Jason Todd do it. :D

JLU season 1 episode 2, "For The Man Who Has Everything".

They took an Alan Moore classic -- and made it better. Animated Diana's throwdown against Animated Mongul was a classic in 'desperately fighting a battle you know you can't win to buy time for your friends'. And Animated Superman's tearing Mongul a new one later on, even better. But letting Diana have the finisher move... that was beautiful!

Diana -- "Excuse me. But I believe this is yours." *drops the Black Mercy on Mongul's head*

... hey, it's better than having Jason Todd do it. :D

But I still miss the best line from that issue when Batman catches Robin staring at Wonder Woman's skimpy costume (at the North Pole!) and says something like: "Think clean thoughts chum."

HM

I've got two...unfortunately, I can't remember the exact issues...

1) Thor vs. the Midgard Serpent. The entire book had only one large panel per page. It was nothing but the fight, for the length of the comic book. The best part was when the serpent completely engulfs Thor in its jaws, then all his teeth shatter outward after being hit by mighty Mjolnir!

2) Iron Man vs. The Hulk. I don't remember why they were fighting, but it was an epic battle. Of course, the Hulk was getting the best of shell-head, until Stark got the idea to channel all of the suit's energy reserves into one punch. When he smacked the Hulk, the sound effect was written all the way across an entire page diagonally. In the next panel, the hulk lay unconscious in the bottom of a deep crater. The bad part for Iron Man was that the punch overloaded the suit. The eye and mouth slits slammed shut and the entire suit seized up and fell over. Tony Stark only had two hours of oxygen, and could not move or make the armor respond. Ant-Man climbed inside through a boot jet, and was able to open the suit back up in the nick of time.