Best SuperHero Fights ever

starblaze

Re: Best SuperHero Fights ever

So many good ones here, many of them my favorites too. I'll just throw in a few more that come to my mind:

Old school, Fantastic Four against Dr. Doom just after Doom had stolen the Silver Surfer's power cosmic. Doom took everything the FF could throw at him, and basically laughed it off. In the end Doom let them simply walk away unharmed, because he had proven that they were no longer a threat to him.

Daredevil vs. Iron Fist, in a crossover with the Power Man and Iron Fist title. DD and IF threw punches and kicks at each other, bobbing and weaving in return, and neither one could lay a glove on the other. They actually started complimenting each other's styles:

IF: "Very nice! What do you call that move?"

DD: "Ducking."

IF: "Hmm. A little unorthodox, but it works!"

More recently, the Avengers and the Thunderbolts in the climax of their crossover against Count Nefaria. Pulling out all the stops against one of their strongest and cleverest foes, while his doomsday device counts down...

Speaking of Doomsday: his second confrontation with Superman in the miniseries, Superman/Doomsday: Hunter/Prey was the kind of fight that their first one should have been. Superman fighting both hard and smart against a foe who clearly overmatched him, but refusing to go down until he found a way to win.

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought of another one I just adore.

Punisher vs Ulak. In the short lived "Marvel Knights" comic.

Punisher tries everything he has, and of course it just bounces. Ulak grabs him, and says something to the effect of "You have a warrior's spirit, I'll make your death painless" to which Punisher says something snide, grabs his last holdout knife and breaks it on Ulaks hand.

Then Daredevil shows up with what Ulak was after, and Ulak goes away.

I loved this for three reasons:

1) The punisher being completely and totally ineffective. I just like that. It was so the reverse of Ennis that I cired with tears of joy.

2) The punisher seemed, from my limited knowledge of him, to be in character - not to give up, and to keep trying everything he could, and refusing, even to the end, to give in, even in the face of death.

3) Daredevil, whom he hates, saved his butt.

Oh God, how could I have forgotten that one? It was glorious!

Frank thinks that Ulik is just some low-end metahuman, so he showed up with big guns. You know, stuff capable of hurting, oh, low-end Luke Cage. 20mm anti-vehicle rifle with AP ammo, etc.

*cuts loose with the 20mm assault cannon on Ulik*

*boink*

*throws some grenades*

*boink*

*desperately starts emptying the clip on every weapon he's got left*

*boink boink boink*

By this point, Ulik -- mocking him the whole while -- has walked across the room and grabbed Frank by the throat.

Frank, grabbed by the throat by an opponent capable of holding his own in extended solo combat vs. Thor... pulls his boot knife and stabs Ulik in the wrist. The blade snaps.

And Ulik laughs. And then shows Frank respect.

Ulik -- "It is good! It is good that a warrior such as you die with a blade in his hand! You belong in Valhalla! A paradise of ceaseless carnage and combat!"

*draws Frank right up to him, nose-to-nose, and grins evilly*

"I will send you there."

*Frank reaches down to arm his dead-man suicide charge*

Frank -- "Let's go together."

(Of course, even the suicide bomb wouldn't have done more than muss Ulik's hair. Fortunately, at this point Daredevil showed up with the MacGuffin that Ulik had been searching for and traded it for Frank's life. Frank was really PO'ed. *g*)

Hyperion v Hyperion. From the original miniseries.

Frogman V Speed Demon :)

Wild Guard winners v Wildguard Hopefuls (mind conrolled). The arrival of the "Wounded" was awesome.

Thing v Terrax

Thundra v Titania I. ---I was 11. It was a life changing experience.

Spiderman v ...? Some guy with illusion powers. Don't remember his name he was a one shot villain...but it's very cool...Pete thinks he has a broken neck but gets up anyway, giving him the "I disbieve!" power and he crushes the guy.

I finally saw that and was very disappointed. Artistically it was bad (my opinion) and his beatings of the other Marvel Heroes were weak at best. It was over too quickly. ...just didn't live up to my expectations.

Are you kidding? It was so good Monkey and Wrasslor repeated it in a Dexter's Lab cartoon!

;)

Seriously, to each his own. While I realize the limited numbers of pages meant they had to 'rush' a few fights, I thought it showcased the 'never say die' attitude Ben so often displays nicely.

A much much much better Thing fight was an early Thor crossover with Ben Grimm.

They're on the Bifrost bridge, fighting some unstoppable god-killing horror that Set has freed from its ancient place of confinement. Thor's been knocked senseless, and Horus and a couple of the other Egyptian gods are being complete wusses and cowering helplessly in a corner.

So Ben takes one look at the godslayer beast, and does a flying tackle that knocks them both right off of Bifrost into the interdimensional void. His reasoning? Somebody's gotta stop it, and trading his life for its as they're both lost helplessly in the cosmic void, fair trade.

Fortunately for Ben, just as they're about to fall out of sight, right then Mjolnir comes zipping on by so Ben can grab onto the handle and get pulled back up to the Rainbow Bridge. (Thor took a Recovery. *g*)

Godslayer whichever goes falling forever into oblivion, Ben Grimm & Thor walk on home, Egyptian deities are still ineffectual wusses, the end. :D

Egyptian deities are still ineffectual wusses, the end. :D

Heh... not sure why, but this made me smile. Maybe because I can see it as the one thing the Norse and Greek gods might agree on. ;)

"Verily, I say to thee, Hercules, Horus is one limp wristed #$#$!"

;)

Another Ben Grimm moment that I love...

Episode of ROM: SPACEKNIGHT. The Dire Wraiths have placed the Thing under a mind control spell and have sent him to go beat up Rom. Needless to say, the walking tin can is getting crumpled like, well, a tin can.

As Ben is busy stomping a Grand Canyon-sized hole in Rom's butt, Rom finally gets a brainwave. 'Hey, he got his powers from cosmic radiation! My neutralizer gun can temporarily nullify cosmic radiation! If I shoot him with it, he'll turn back to human for a little while, and then I can stop, you know, getting my butt kicked!'

So, Rom shoots the Thing with the gun, and he does indeed revert back to Ben Grimm. (Which also has the serendipitous effect of breaking the mind control). Then Rom collapses or otherwise becomes combat irrelevant -- I don't recall exactly how -- as he's not in the next sequence.

Which leaves a powerless Ben Grimm, in his underwear, in a room full of Dire Wraiths.

... by the time Rom was up and around again, human Ben Grimm had finished stomping Dire Wraith butt so bad that the reader could feel it all the way on the other side of the fourth wall. :D

But then again, even before he became the Thing, Ben was a bruiser.

Heh... not sure why, but this made me smile. Maybe because I can see it as the one thing the Norse and Greek gods might agree on. ;)

"Verily, I say to thee, Hercules, Horus is one limp wristed #$#$!"

Yeah, but they're still positively butch compared to what the MU did to the Celtic pantheon. Every time Marvel does a divine crossover arc, Dagda and the boys are always goin' down first. They're like the retarded younger cousins of the Skyfathers. :)

One of the things I liked about the Authority was their fights. They've sort of lost their coolness in the current series, but there's other stuff going on too. But in the Ellis and Millar days, they were very cool. Pretty much all of them, but my two favorites are Midnighter and Jack Hawksmoor taking the big blue guy apart and The Authority vs. The Avengers knock-offs.

Fantastic Four circa 166-170. The Thing versus Terrax, followed by the Human Torch, Dr. Doom and the Silver Surfer. Notable if only for the Thing's classic line: "Now nuthin' baldy! If there's one thing I can't stand, it's a super-goon a-makin' speeches!" Oh, and Terrax fusing Doom into his armor.

I'll second Alan Moore & Dave Gibbon's For The Man Who Has Everything, in which Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, and Robin fight Mongul.

FANTASTIC FOUR #116:

Doom vs. the Over-Mind

http://www.geocities.com/cheeksilver/doctordoom3.htm

(note -- the artwork has been removed from ths page, sadly, but the review is still good.)

At no point, it should be noted, does Victor Von Doom turn tail and flee, in tried-and-true super-villainous fashion.

At no point (again, one notes) does Von Doom attempt to wriggle his way into a beneficial (or even appreciably less dangerous) alliance with the Overmind.

Instead -- in the face of "the power of a billion billion minds"; a psychic onslaught of sheerest psychic prowess that would leave stunted and blasted and withered the marshalled forces of every other Marvel Comics super-hero, combined -- Doctor Victor Von Doom yields not so much as one single, solitary inch of ground.

Right up until the moment, in fact, when he ends up getting himself stubbornly sledgehammered into that very same ground.

In willing alliance with his true, sworn blood foemen, mind.

Kyle in the Martian Manhunter's body' date=' being creative with shapeshifting as he is with his ring doing a "My favorite martians" running through a 4 armed barsoomian, mars attacks, an apelike thing I didn't recognize and Marvin.[/quote']

Did the ape-thing look like a gorilla in a diving helmet? That'd be Ro-Man from Robot Monster (though I don't know if they ever explicitly say he's from Mars).

Thor v Mangog and then Thanos in Thor's #23-25

Wolverine v the Hellfire Club mooks before Jean becomes Dark Phoenix

Avengers v Ultron during the Busiek/Perez run with Thor's famous, "ULTRON! We would have words with thee."

Couple funny ones -

Spider-Man v the Ringer (after the Ringer had just been to the dentist) :D

Thor v Hercules - the classic 'made-up' battle as described by Hercules wherein he completely trounces a whiny and ineffectual Thor for half the fight until Jarvis points out that the little boy he is telling the story to is a huge Thor fan...then Herc lowers his ego and proceeds to describe an incredible comeback by Thor. :thumbup:

Thor v Hercules - the classic 'made-up' battle as described by Hercules wherein he completely trounces a whiny and ineffectual Thor for half the fight until Jarvis points out that the little boy he is telling the story to is a huge Thor fan...then Herc lowers his ego and proceeds to describe an incredible comeback by Thor. :thumbup:

That counts, because while the battle with Thor was made up in that situation, Herc won the battle with his own bravado hands down. Kudos to the Prince of Power ;)

Are you kidding? It was so good Monkey and Wrasslor repeated it in a Dexter's Lab cartoon!

;)

Seriously, to each his own. While I realize the limited numbers of pages meant they had to 'rush' a few fights, I thought it showcased the 'never say die' attitude Ben so often displays nicely.

Well I had built it up to epic proportions in my mind. The payoff just wasn't there. And Champion looked really weird.

Thor v Mangog and then Thanos in Thor's #23-25

Wolverine v the Hellfire Club mooks before Jean becomes Dark Phoenix

Avengers v Ultron during the Busiek/Perez run with Thor's famous, "ULTRON! We would have words with thee."

Couple funny ones -

Spider-Man v the Ringer (after the Ringer had just been to the dentist) :D

I loved the Herc/Thor Battles.