Best SuperHero Fights ever

starblaze

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Best SuperHero Fights ever

Not sure I have a fav, mostly because all of the fights I remember are just bits and pieces.

I recall a Wolverine v. Silver Samurai fight where Sam skewers Wolverine with his katana, then Wolvie edges his way up the blade so he can stick him with his claws. This was fun because it was just before wolverine became invlunverable to everything. This looked really serious.

Daredevil v. Bullseye upon the demise of Elektra. And the unheroic but much deserved "letting go".

Guest Suleyman Rashid

:D

I just found this gem in my collection earlier today. Completely forgot about it!

Its no longer a part of my collection, more's the pity.

"Nice cape... comfy... I think I'll eat it here."

Iron Man vs the Iron Monger... Stark vs Stane

I've got to second this. Almost 50 issues of buildup, and a very satisfying conclusion.

Another IM favorite, Iron Man vs. the Champions from Avengers 163. An olympian heavy holds the Avengers hostage and forces Iron Man to fight Hercules (who at the time was a member of the almost forgotten Champions of LA).

IM blows through Iceman, Black Widow, and Angel, then throws down with the Hercster for the rest of the issue. All the while trying to clue him in on the real danger.

Spiderman v ...? Some guy with illusion powers. Don't remember his name he was a one shot villain...but it's very cool...Pete thinks he has a broken neck but gets up anyway, giving him the "I disbieve!" power and he crushes the guy.

That would be Spider-Man facing every true Hero fan's most hated foe:

Fuzion!

err,

I mean "Fusion".

Peter Parker : The Spectacular Spider-Man #32

KA.

• 2 weeks later...

The Nemesis Kid/KK/Jeckie fight at the end of the first legion story arc with the "baxter" legion.

Nemesis kid finally realizing what power he could use to defeat KK (his own skills only better), trashing KK. Then Jeckie walks up, makes a speech about the hell that Nemesis will face and making a really nasty illusion to go with it, NK switching his power to make him immune to illusions, and Jeckie walking up and snapping his neck. Executing him as the Queen of the planet. Brilliant - and very emotional for a KK fan, even if he did lose - tightly written, and well done.

Oh, god, yes... but you forgot to mention, Nemesis Kid killed KK. Jeckie (Queen Projectra) executed him for murder.

And, even though she was acting as Queen of her planet, she violated the Legion Constitution, and was expelled from the Legion as a result.

Damn good stuff...

Yeah' date=' but they're still positively butch compared to what the MU did to the [i']Celtic[/i] pantheon. Every time Marvel does a divine crossover arc, Dagda and the boys are always goin' down first. They're like the retarded younger cousins of the Skyfathers. :)

That's about historically accurate, as far as the pantheons and their respective cultures, isn't it?

Guest Suleyman Rashid

That's about historically accurate' date=' as far as the pantheons and their respective cultures, isn't it?[/quote']

Given how pervasive Celtic culture was, historically? No, not really.

I have to admit to disliking Marvel's huge pro-Asgardian bias myself. I love the Greek and Celtic pantheons even more not to mention the ultimately cool Egyptians and they always get short shrift.

However, in Thor Annual #5 there's a reprinting of the classic first battle between Hercules and Thor. One of the interesting things about it, IMO, is that it seems to suggest that Herc is actually more powerful physically, and that it's just Thor's skill as a fighter ...and Mjolnir...that keeps him in the fight. I've always liked that fight and have always felt that outside of his first couple of mini-series and maybe the Masters of Evil storyline that Herc never got his due.

Almost like Wonder Man...but don't get me started there.

And someone mentioned the classic KK vs Nemesis Kid fight from issue 4 of the LSH relaunch. I think it's one of the top ten superfights ever and certainly one of the most poignant and heroic deaths for a major character ever. I miss those days, which to me were the apex of LSH storytelling.

X-Men and the Hellfire Club vs Nimrod from #209 or thereabouts. Just a great battle and the fight had so many ramifications. While I'm on the subject, the battles between the X-Men and the Marauders were all pretty great. It's not often in a book that they fight bad guys who are better than they are.

JLA vs Jimmy Olsen from JLA: The Nail. Man, talk about going down the wrong path...

New Mutants vs Magus

Orion vs Kalibak

JSA vs the Ultra-Humanite

The Escapist vs Lady Escapist: The Iron Chain's cruellest trap!

Dr. Strange vs D'spayre

Those are the ones that leap to mind right now

The fight between Wally West and Professor Zoom at the end of the "Return of Barry Allen" storyline. Prof Zoom masquerades as Barry due to a bit of psychosis, then ultimately reveals himself after a serious blow to Wally's ego. Near the end, Prof Zoom threatens Wally's wife-to-be, Wally comes to the rescue, and Zoom cleans his clock.

Then he says something stupid. "I'll make sure people forget Barry Allen...."

Wally then gets his act together, ignores the bruises, and goes after Zoom with a vengeance. To me, it's a classic. :)

The fight between Wally West and Professor Zoom at the end of the "Return of Barry Allen" storyline. Prof Zoom masquerades as Barry due to a bit of psychosis, then ultimately reveals himself after a serious blow to Wally's ego. Near the end, Prof Zoom threatens Wally's wife-to-be, Wally comes to the rescue, and Zoom cleans his clock.

Then he says something stupid. "I'll make sure people forget Barry Allen...."

Wally then gets his act together, ignores the bruises, and goes after Zoom with a vengeance. To me, it's a classic

That was a great story arc. It turned out that Wally could be as fast as Barry but had a mental block because he was scared that he would replace his beloved uncle. Then Zoom (who was at Barry speed) made that stupid comment. Wally races him down while thinking, "I am afraid of replacing Barry... but I'm more afraid of letting this bastard replace him!"

One of my favorite fights is Superman vs Mongul in JLU's "For the Man Who Has Everything" (based on the comic of the same name).

The shear brutallity of the fight, the casual disregard for all life Mongul shows, and Superman getting very, very, pissed. Plus, some great lines.

As Batman struggles to remove the plant while Diana fights Mongul.

Batman:She's in the weapons room, that'll buy her time. But not enough. Snap out of it Kent, we need you. He'll kill her. He'll kill us all.

As Clark charges Mongul

Superman: Do you have any idea what you did to me?!?

Mongul: I fashioned a prison that you couldn't leave without sacrificing your heart's desire. It must have been like tearing off your own arm.

And the classic, as Mongul picks up Clark by the head

Mongul: Happy birthday, Kryptonian – I give you oblivion.

to which Clark's eyes glow read as he growls'

Superman: Burn!

Awesome, awesome stuff.

I think that there are a lot of great battles in this thread, many of which are in my list. I'd liek to add one more from the Old School crowd: Superman vs Muhammed Ali. Seriously, it was an awesome fight. Ali is just pasting Supes to a... paste, but he Won't. Fall. Down. When Ali turns his back rather than kill the man of steel the alien crowd goes so wild they are throwing each other into the air.

Keith "Great Stuff!" Curtis

This became the X-Men's standard operating procedure' date=' it seems - Plan A: Get your butts kicked badly. Plan B - Use the XP from that buttkicking to come back and beat your foe in the next issue.[/quote']

This was learned from the Mighty Heroes.

Keith "Go, Cuckoo-Man, Go!" Curtis