A Thread for Random Videos

Super Squirrel

Re: A Thread for Random Videos

Olympic Taekwondo Highlights

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muNosyLgmuE

DAMN!! Axe kick to the face! That was nasty. I'm actually a little surprised how few punches and blocks are being thrown. I guess that is because of the scoring system. Do these MAs just have weak upper bodies or what? They could have blasted a few punches into the chest as open as they were.

DAMN!! Axe kick to the face! That was nasty. I'm actually a little surprised how few punches and blocks are being thrown. I guess that is because of the scoring system. Do these MAs just have weak upper bodies or what? They could have blasted a few punches into the chest as open as they were.

It's hard to score with a punch in competition. And in Hyon Wan Park's book Black Belt Taekwondo, it says that in the competition, "Any foot technique is superior to any hand technique." Also, any hand or foot technique must land with enough force to "cause a visible shock" to the opponent's body.

And yes, they do seem pretty open to attack with their hands down. My Krav Maga instructor finds their "fighting stance" amusing. In my school, we were always taught to keep our hands up.

It's hard to score with a punch in competition. And in Hyon Wan Park's book Black Belt Taekwondo, it says that in the competition, "Any foot technique is superior to any hand technique." Also, any hand or foot technique must land with enough force to "cause a visible shock" to the opponent's body.

And yes, they do seem pretty open to attack with their hands down. My Krav Maga instructor finds their "fighting stance" amusing. In my school, we were always taught to keep our hands up.

Interesting. Whenever I punch there is usually a "visible shock". Especially things like ridge hands to the side of the head that have resulted in the opponents head gear coming off like some of those kicks. I'm not sure I agree with "Any foot technique is superior to any hand technique." While there may be more force behind a kick it is generally slower and as such there is more time to block or move in to the focal point of the kick reducing its effectiveness. That was always something I admired about Muay Thai. If you try to move in on one of their strikes you might as well call it a day as that is where their style is strongest especially if they get a head lock on you. I definitely agree with your Krav Maga instructor. I think what we see is definitely a product of getting the most points versus effective fighting to be sure. Of course all the above completely depends on the fighters and the situation. Not to mention for every example of superior punching and hand techniques you can find the same for kicking.

And to keep with the theme of the thread: How Aikido handles kicks. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bn59zha-uAQ

True enough. Olympic TKD doesn't allow punches to the head, although it is allowed in freestyle (non-Olympic) sparring. It is true much of the art nowadays is more about scoring points than self-defense, which is why I added Krav Maga to my curriculum.

TKD and Krav Maga have two entirely different functions. It's like comparing skeet shooting with hunting. TKD is a competitive sport with rules and TKD specific tactics - it started as a martial art and evolved into a sport, much like fencing. (Preaching to the choir here, I know - bear with me) The kicks are DAMNED impressive, and I'd like to add a few to my JKD repertoire, although I don't know where I'd use them except to show off. TKD is a really impressive looking art, and obviously damned effective - keep your hands up for pity's sake!

tkdguy, I saw very little jamming - is that common? By "jamming" I mean stopping an opponents kick before it starts, usually by placing a foot in front of the oncoming shin. I saw some of it, but I wasn't sure if it was on purpose or by accident.

I think it depends on where you learn your TKD from. Both the TKD schools I learned from taught TKD from a self-defense standpoint not merely as a sport. There was quite a bit of practical use taught and these practical applications were required for the Black Belt test. Now in the sparring arena I agree wholeheartedly that it is all about the sport and rules; one of the downsides of TKD in America.

I had the pleasure of sparring with a JKD practitioner in high school. I learned a great deal especially about the power of the "intercepting fist" - jamming/trapping. I found it nearly impossible to land a kick or punch. Although I finally started getting a couple in when I started throwing faints and combos. I try to use what I learned from that experience as much as possible. Unfortunately I bump up against tourny rules sometimes. :sneaky:

I think it depends on where you learn your TKD from. Both the TKD schools I learned from taught TKD from a self-defense standpoint not merely as a sport. There was quite a bit of practical use taught and these practical applications were required for the Black Belt test. Now in the sparring arena I agree wholeheartedly that it is all about the sport and rules; one of the downsides of TKD in America.

I had the pleasure of sparring with a JKD practitioner in high school. I learned a great deal especially about the power of the "intercepting fist" - jamming/trapping. I found it nearly impossible to land a kick or punch. Although I finally started getting a couple in when I started throwing faints and combos. I try to use what I learned from that experience as much as possible. Unfortunately I bump up against tourny rules sometimes. :sneaky:

The Grand Master actually used to teach a lot of self-defense applications. But by the time I joined, he had basically retire from teaching, although he trains the instructors once every few months. We had a lot of turnovers in instructors for many years.

The current head instructor, who is one of the Grand Master's most senior students, has been returning our school to the traditional tkd roots. He also trains in Krav Maga, so he has included a few of the principles in the curriculum.

Speaking of which...

http://www.scientainment.com/pchant.html

Click on the Science Songs link and choose your favorite tune. "Love Boson" actually has a catchy tune. ;)