VIPER -- What Do *You* Want To See?

GestaltBennie

Originally posted by Agent X

So, my question IMO still stands. Why do they viper have all this stuff that I think law enforcement and the military would love to have and don't seem to?

Well, the way I play this, is that VIPER doesn't have any safeguards for testing their weapons. I think they ship the R&D stuff to their expendable troops and see how it goes. The VIPER troops they want to keep, get the advanced, reliable stuff.

Of course I loved the game Paranioa, so take this with a grain of salt. Anyone want a Cone Rifle? :D

And I think the idea of a VIPER village would be great.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest WhammeWhamme
Originally posted by Hermit

Better be careful on B... Peter Jackson's beautiful cinematography has a lot of American movie goers going 'oooo... ahhhhh' :)

Besides, ARGENT owns NZ in the Champions Universe... everyone knows that ;)

It wasn't that much of a joke. :)

Acually, I had an idea...

Sounds about right. That needs changing in the next book. I want a satisfactory explanation why every 1st world country isn't running around with the equivalent of Viper Tech and if someone wants to say Viper has more financial resources I will gag.

Since what you're attempting to do in this case is to work backward from an existing genre convention to formulate a justification for it, any explanation you come up with is likely to have an air of "rationalization."

Still, the most reasonable explanation I've yet seen for this situation is the "Sci-Tech War" postulated by Sean Fannon in his High Tech Enemies supplement: governments, superagent groups and superheroes/villains recognize that the possession of advanced scientific knowledge constitutes real power, and are trying to acquire and control as much of it as possible. The more that technology gets spread around to the general populace, especially in a free society, the more people have access to it and the less strategically valuable it becomes.

Certainly there are precedents in the real world: stealth aircraft, nuclear cannon shells and spy satellite imaging technology are closely guarded secrets, and have not replaced many similar weapons and devices in wider use despite being superior in many ways. It's not too hard to extrapolate this to having PRIMUS, an elite combat unit fighting the most dangerous opponents in the world, armed with blasters and forcefields while the majority of soldiers and police muddle through with slug throwers and Kevlar. VIPER, being itself an entirely secretive organization, already regulates the distribution of its technology very closely. Even then the number of supervillains in the Champions canon who owe their abilities to "appropriating" the best VIPER tech and heading for greener pastures is infamous. :P

Of course this is just a rationalization, which may not work for you. :)

Originally posted by Koshka

I've always assumed the last thing VIPER would ever be known for is their retirement plans,

Ahh, well.

Earlier versions of VIPER's history mention that a "labor organizer" was amongst the founding leaders of VIPER. Clearly, VIPER is unionised! :)

OK, it's not the _best_ union, but, hey.

Another view of the matter appeared in an episode of the Simpsons, when Homer was hired by a Bond-style mastermind named Hank Scorpio. Scorpio's organisation seemed to operate on rather New Age corporate principles...

Then there's the Austin Powers films, and so on.

OK, so all of this is silly.

The actual situation, in other than humourous games, would probably vary.

A scientist working for a front corporation might have a "normal" career, in many ways, even if they spent a certain amount of time working on a Death Ray in an underground base. Of course, if they "knew too much", it could be a little unfortunate.

A grunt serving as an Agent in Africa is likely to have a career path resembling that of a Somali or Liberian militiaman.

An agent in the US might spend a bit of time with VIPER, receive a payout, and be allowed to go without too much prejudice, if it can be safely assumed that they didn't know anything beyond what they needed to know. Or they might have to skip town with whatever cash they had got together. Whether or not they are pursued would depend on whether VIPER felt it was necessary. Clearly, anyone with a big mouth would be pursued.

Over all, I would have most of the important bits of VIPER underground and working through front organisations. Most of VIPER wouldn't need to be aware they are members of VIPER.

The bits that did would either be expendable grunts, who would need to be kept in the dark as much as possible, or committed conspirators who know what the price of treachery is.

Or hapless dupes, who can be "retired" with a bullet.

But then, when the Secret Master Plan comes to fruition, only the Secret Masters will be spared...

Maybe working for VIPER isn't such a good idea after all. On the other hand, if you can't stop the Secret Master Plan, why shouldn't you take their money?

Alan

Originally posted by Lord Liaden

Since what you're attempting to do in this case is to work backward from an existing genre convention to formulate a justification for it, any explanation you come up with is likely to have an air of "rationalization."

Still, the most reasonable explanation I've yet seen for this situation is the "Sci-Tech War" postulated by Sean Fannon in his High Tech Enemies supplement: governments, superagent groups and superheroes/villains recognize that the possession of advanced scientific knowledge constitutes real power, and are trying to acquire and control as much of it as possible. The more that technology gets spread around to the general populace, especially in a free society, the more people have access to it and the less strategically valuable it becomes.

Certainly there are precedents in the real world: stealth aircraft, nuclear cannon shells and spy satellite imaging technology are closely guarded secrets, and have not replaced many similar weapons and devices in wider use despite being superior in many ways. It's not too hard to extrapolate this to having PRIMUS, an elite combat unit fighting the most dangerous opponents in the world, armed with blasters and forcefields while the majority of soldiers and police muddle through with slug throwers and Kevlar. VIPER, being itself an entirely secretive organization, already regulates the distribution of its technology very closely. Even then the number of supervillains in the Champions canon who owe their abilities to "appropriating" the best VIPER tech and heading for greener pastures is infamous. :P

Of course this is just a rationalization, which may not work for you. :)

With a little elaboration it would work for me. I would like it addressed in the book though. I am not that hard to please I just want it covered.

Why, you shaved!

Faster Combat

I'd like some suggestions on ways to handle mass combat, the VIPER way. Some way to deal with 40-50 agents duking it out with a superhero team, without having to roll 40-50 times every phase, but without fully losing individual agent flavor or weapons variety.

I love VIPER, and have used them in every campaign I've run. The 4th Ed VIPER sourcebook was one of the best, IMO. But it's hard to run scores of agents without bogging down the combat slower than normal.

For sidebars: the flavor bits from the 4E book were great. My personal favorite was the CLOWN punching bags.

Oh, and a list of possible things VIPER (as an acronym) stands for.

Re: Faster Combat

Originally posted by BoloOfEarth

I'd like some suggestions on ways to handle mass combat, the VIPER way. Some way to deal with 40-50 agents duking it out with a superhero team, without having to roll 40-50 times every phase, but without fully losing individual agent flavor or weapons variety.

I love VIPER, and have used them in every campaign I've run. The 4th Ed VIPER sourcebook was one of the best, IMO. But it's hard to run scores of agents without bogging down the combat slower than normal.

That was the first thing I wrote when I did the initial VIPER draft for CNM two years ago. I consider a good tactics section the biggest thing we missed in the first book.

Scott Bennie

Why, you shaved!

Yeah, but I think these new contact lenses reflect a little too much glare. ;)

When I noticed that I had accumulated enough posts to qualify for the "Cosmically Powerful" board title, I thought it was time to switch to an avatar who looked more "cosmic."

Originally posted by Lord Liaden

Yeah, but I think these new contact lenses reflect a little too much glare. ;)

When I noticed that I had accumulated enough posts to qualify for the "Cosmically Powerful" board title, I thought it was time to switch to an avatar who looked more "cosmic."

Well, you picked the right avatar then.

Viperia, queen of the Naked Advantages.

While 'star is correct that she only had a 60 Str, he neglects that she had Autofire: 5, Indirect, 0 End, Affect Desolid, AoE, and I think, Armor Piercing all as Naked Advantages.

So, that was 5 Armor Piercing, AOE, Indirect, Affect Desolid, 12d6 attacks.

999 points of pure goodness.

D

On the subject of retirement plans, just look at what they did in the Man from UNCLE television series. Thrush agents got a clock when they retired which blew up and killed them.

Which is why UNCLE never found any old Thrush agents. So theyu schemed a way to get an agent who was on the verge of retirement to betray his employers.

Originally posted by Morningstar70

But... they weren't in a multipower, so they were legal. :D

She paid her points for what she got.

Oh, yeah, I wasn't complaining, I was warning.

"Hey, there's that Viperia chick, heard she doesn't do more than 12 dice of damage."

Wham. Wham. Wham. Wham. Wham. Thud.

D

Originally posted by Morningstar70

And that's Autofire x5 on everyone in an area.

At 0 End.

Indirect.

::shudder::

Fast bricks are damn scary.

That summarizes why in my campaign she was relegated to a Secret Weapon/Thaw When Needed role. If the heroes ever got too close, the VIPER heirarchy fetched her out of deep freeze, dusted her off, and set her loose of the heroes.

Along those lines, I'd like to see some VIPER protocols or "standards and practices". What does VIPER do when the heat gets to close? How does a nest handle superheroes (in or out of combat)? What happens when an agent turns traitor? I've always imagined a black binder or Nest Leader's Handbook that outlined how to run a nest.

But then again, maybe that's too corporate.

My character, Thunder Dragon, just blocked her attack and then his counterstrike damage shield was set off. Didn't do much to her but she was so frustrated she focused on him and got hammered from behind by a descending move through. inches of velocity doubled for descent, velocity divided by 3, + STR damage. I believe the character had 30" of flight and a 60 Strength but it has been a long time. That would be, oh, 32 dice.

Originally posted by Cyberknight

I *do* hope that Thunder Dragon managed to Dive for Cover...then again, getting a face-full of Vi..err...never mind, I'll go take my meds now, and switch to decaff.

Well, I guess the ref didn't use the area effect. Lucky me.:D Yeah, Viperia is a babe. I like Viperia. I think there should be more characters on scale in the game. When I saw that Lightning Bolts were supposed to do 4 to 6 dice of killing damage in 4th Edition I immediately was annoyed that in the description of a basic campaign you couldn't have a character who could throw a bolt of energy equivalent to a high-end lightning bolt. What comic books has everyone else been reading?

Originally posted by Prometheus

That summarizes why in my campaign she was relegated to a Secret Weapon/Thaw When Needed role. If the heroes ever got too close, the VIPER heirarchy fetched her out of deep freeze, dusted her off, and set her loose of the heroes.

Which was *precisely* the way she was meant to be handled..

Scott Bennie