CHAR: Iron Man

Enforcer84

Re: CHAR: Iron Man

When I used to read the Avengers, I never got the impression that he was drastically lower in STR than the other big hitters, like Wonder Man or the Vision. If Thor has 115 STR, 50 sounds way too low for Iron Man. Maybe 75 or so. His usual M.O. was a repulsor blast or two, invariable followed by lots of fisticuffs.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: CHAR: Iron Man: Golden Avenger Armor

Body Armor

Flight

Repulsors

Unibeam

Air Supply

Fire Extinguisher

Energy Absorbtion

Energy Pods

Override

Sonic Attack

Tractor Beam

Nightvision Lens

Sensors

Freon Tablets

Multiband Radio

Sonic Distorter

ECM

Reverse Magnetism

Roller Skates

Eye Protection

Image Projection

Digging Ability

Briefcase

He's also often had something called "pulse bolts." Basically, an energy attack that does more damage the farther away the target is.

Also, I think magnetic manipulation is a common feature ( stuff like magnetizing metals, crude physical manipulation, that kind of thing ).

You could make a good argument for Tony Stark having only one power: a VPP usable only for building multiforms. But, too ugly to be really feasible or meaningful.

He's also often had something called "pulse bolts." Basically, an energy attack that does more damage the farther away the target is.

Also, I think magnetic manipulation is a common feature ( stuff like magnetizing metals, crude physical manipulation, that kind of thing ).

You could make a good argument for Tony Stark having only one power: a VPP usable only for building multiforms. But, too ugly to be really feasible or meaningful.

yeah, I am going to give him a "Basic" Armor set up and a big VPP to represent reconfigurations and other Armors.

The way I always read IM was that he had a main schtick that tended to be the focus of the suit. As he upgraded the suit (or the writers changed) the suit would gain a new set of abilites that would be the focus of the armor. In general, the suit always kept the old abilites but Tony didn't use them as much.

- The old Grey/Gold buky armor: Reverse Magnatism (A TK vs metal)

- Early Red & Gold: Good Flight, gimmick of the week

- "Classic" Red & Gold w/waist pods: Energy absorbtion and redirection

- Silver & Red: Invisibility & Pulse Bolts

- "Super Slim" Post Iron Wars: EMP Pulse

- Modular Armor: A return to gimmick of the week

Then you get into special setups like War Machine, The Telepresence Suit, and Deep Space or Hydroarmor.

A few other observations:

-IMHO Repulsers are EBs vs PD, and sometimes act like they have Double KB. Pulse Bolts are RKAs vs ED and have increased stun multiples that only kick in at long range.

-I have long maintained that Tony Stark is Manic Depressive. He may not be a classic medical case, but it is as close as comics get.

In some issues he is unsure that anything he has done means anything and contemplates giving up his company and the armor.

Three issues later he is on top of the world who can do no wrong, all his problems are a redesign away from being fixed, and he busts Rhino just cause before he goes out with his hot Girlfriend of the week.

I know this has alot to do with changes in writers, but it has been a very prominent part of his character for many years. Much more so than most heros (Except maybe Hank Pym)

FWIW: Manic Depressives are often alchaholic in an attempt to self-medicate

-IM has *a lot* of the exotic defences. The armor has resisted Find Weakness attacks, it is specifically designed (since the mid Waist-pod era) to prevent outside control or override, shrugs off Flashes with ease, and on and on

-I have long maintained that Tony Stark is Manic Depressive. He may not be a classic medical case, but it is as close as comics get.

In some issues he is unsure that anything he has done means anything and contemplates giving up his company and the armor.

Three issues later he is on top of the world who can do no wrong, all his problems are a redesign away from being fixed, and he busts Rhino just cause before he goes out with his hot Girlfriend of the week.

I know this has alot to do with changes in writers, but it has been a very prominent part of his character for many years. Much more so than most heros (Except maybe Hank Pym)

FWIW: Manic Depressives are often alchaholic in an attempt to self-medicate

Part of Bob Layton's take on Tony:

“The elements that make a good Iron Man story are the conflicts that create change in Tony Stark.

Here's Tony himself. I know I've left off his skill levels, and there will be some.

checkout the Disads and the contacts, I know I need more.

Also, I'm thinking his training with Cap will result in some combat levels, not actual martial arts maneuvers. Is this a gross miscalculation?

I'll start on the armor this week.

Iron Man

Val Char Cost Roll Notes

13 STR 3 12- Lift 151.6kg; 2 1/2d6 [1]

12 DEX 6 11- OCV: 4/DCV: 4

15 CON 10 12-

12 BODY 4 11-

30 INT 20 15- PER Roll 15-

18 EGO 16 13- ECV: 6

18 PRE 8 13- PRE Attack: 3 1/2d6

14 COM 2 12-

6 PD 3 Total: 6 PD (0 rPD)

6 ED 3 Total: 6 ED (0 rED)

3 SPD 8 Phases: 4, 8, 12

6 REC 0

30 END 0

30 STUN 3 Total Characteristic Cost: 86

Movement:

Running: 6"/12"

Leaping: 2"/4"

Swimming: 2"/4"

Perks

5 Avengers Assemble: Fringe Benefit: Membership: The Avengers (Active Membership)

5 Avengers Gear: Vehicles & Bases: Quinjets, Avengers Mansion, other offices - Individual Contribution

5 Avengers ID Card: Access: Avengers Mansion

8 Avengers ID Card: Computer Link: AVENGERS Database

40 Le'ts get to my Summer Home: Workshops/Safehouses

2 Oh my God! The Avengers!: Reputation: Member of the Avengers (A small to medium sized group) 14-, +2/+2d6

8 The Perks of the Job: Fringe Benefit: CEO of a major business, International Driver's License, Passport

11 Tony's Loaded: Money: Filthy Rich

3 Well-Connected

14 1) Contact: Business Contacts (Contact has useful Skills or resources), Organization Contact (x3) (15 Active Points) 13-

2 2) Contact: Pentagon (Contact limited by identity: Tony Stark), Organization Contact (x3) (3 Active Points) 11-

14 3) Contact: Top Men in the Industry (Contact has access to major institutions, Contact has very useful Skills or resources), Organization Contact (x3) (15 Active Points) 11-

Skills

3 Analyze: Technology 15-

3 Bureaucratics 13-

3 Computer Programming 15-

3 Cryptography 15-

3 Electronics 15-

3 Inventor 15-

3 Mechanics 15-

3 Paramedics 15-

3 Scholar

2 1) KS: Business Development (3 Active Points) 15-

2 2) KS: Business Law (3 Active Points) 15-

2 3) KS: Business Management (3 Active Points) 15-

2 4) KS: Computer Databases (3 Active Points) 15-

2 5) KS: Finance (3 Active Points) 15-

2 6) KS: International Business (3 Active Points) 15-

2 7) KS: Market Analysis (3 Active Points) 15-

3 Scientist

2 1) SS: AI Technology 15- (3 Active Points)

2 2) SS: Battlesuit Engineering and Design 15- (3 Active Points)

2 3) SS: Communications Engineering 15- (3 Active Points)

2 4) SS: Computer Control Systems 15- (3 Active Points)

2 5) SS: Electrical Engineering 15- (3 Active Points)

2 6) SS: Energy Conversion Systems 15- (3 Active Points)

2 7) SS: Lasers 15- (3 Active Points)

2 8) SS: Magnetics 15- (3 Active Points)

2 9) SS: Mathematics 15- (3 Active Points)

2 10) SS: Mechanical Engineering 15- (3 Active Points)

2 11) SS: Metallurgy 15- (3 Active Points)

2 12) SS: Microelectronics 15- (3 Active Points)

2 13) SS: Neural Interface Technology 15- (3 Active Points)

2 14) SS: Optics 15- (3 Active Points)

2 15) SS: Physics 15- (3 Active Points)

2 16) SS: Robotics 15- (3 Active Points)

2 17) SS: Weapons System Engineering 15- (3 Active Points)

3 Security Systems 15-

3 Systems Operation 15-

2 TF: Quinjet

3 Teamwork 11-

Total Powers & Skill Cost: 206

Total Cost: 292

550+ Disadvantages

10 Hunted: Avengers Liason 11- (As Pow, NCI, Watching)

15 Hunted: Foes of the Avengers 11- (As Pow, Harshly Punish)

20 Hunted: Iron Man's Rogues Gallery 11- (As Pow, NCI, Harshly Punish)

10 Hunted: Pentagon 8- (Mo Pow, NCI, Watching)

10 Physical Limitation: Recovering Alcoholic (Infrequently, Greatly Impairing)

15 Psychological Limitation: Doesn't like to be second guessed or talked down to. (Very Common, Moderate)

15 Psychological Limitation: Noblesse Oblige (Common, Strong)

10 Psychological Limitation: Technophile (Common, Moderate)

15 Reputation: Rich Industrialist, 14-

10 Social Limitation: Must honor Avengers Bylaws & Charter or face expulsion (Occasionally, Major)

15 Social Limitation: Secret Identity (Tony Stark) (Frequently, Major)

Total Disadvantage Points: 292

Background/History:

Personality/Motivation:

Quote:

Powers/Tactics:

Campaign Use:

Appearance:

Also' date=' I'm thinking his training with Cap will result in some combat levels, not actual martial arts maneuvers. Is this a gross miscalculation?[/quote']

I can recall at least one time where he put a Martial Throw on a bad guy while remembering Cap's training. But I can't say it was integral enough to insist that it belongs on his character sheet.

The original Tony Stark was not in the military. He was in Vietnam during the war inspecting special weaponry that he'd helped invent and that's how he was captured by the Vietcong. The problem with maintaining this origin is that, at best, it puts him in his mid-50's or so...and that's REALLY being generous.

Over the years Tony has been an adviser in Korea, Vietnam, South East Asia, and lately Afghanistan. AFAIK, his present story is he was advising in Afghanistan when he was wounded by a mine.

Unlike DC, Marvel just adjusts his history rather than rebooting him.

Well, they did do a partial reboot as part of the "Heros Reborn" storyline.

As far as I understand the current continuity,

- Original Tony died in Antartica after shrugging off Kang's mind control.

- Teenage Tony from an alternate timeline died/was shunted away fighting Onslaught (And no matter how lame teen Tony may have been, he did take Dr. Doom with him)

- Heroes Reborn Tony existed in Franklin Richards "pocket dimension of the fanboy".

- Current, mainstream Tony is an amagamation of all three of these that was created when the Heros Reborn world ended and they were folded into the mainstream universe. There were even panels of him all googly eyed saying "My god, I remember all three lives!".

So I think he was in fact a consultant in Vietnam, The First Gulf War, and Afghanistan.

Try not to think too hard about that.

Well, they did do a partial reboot as part of the "Heros Reborn" storyline.

As far as I understand the current continuity,

- Original Tony died in Antartica after shrugging off Kang's mind control.

- Teenage Tony from an alternate timeline died/was shunted away fighting Onslaught (And no matter how lame teen Tony may have been, he did take Dr. Doom with him)

- Heroes Reborn Tony existed in Franklin Richards "pocket dimension of the fanboy".

- Current, mainstream Tony is an amagamation of all three of these that was created when the Heros Reborn world ended and they were folded into the mainstream universe. There were even panels of him all googly eyed saying "My god, I remember all three lives!".

So I think he was in fact a consultant in Vietnam, The First Gulf War, and Afghanistan.

Try not to think too hard about that.

Ouch. Warning not heeded.