CHAR: Iron Man

Enforcer84

Re: CHAR: Iron Man

Okay, we're going to ignore much of his history. Another thing that his life doesn't really account for is that technology has advanced so much since his original inception. True, he's still supertech, but does the original armor still seem worthwhile if he made it in the 21st century?

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay' date=' we're going to ignore much of his history. Another thing that his life doesn't really account for is that technology has advanced so much since his original inception. True, he's still supertech, but does the original armor still seem worthwhile if he made it in the 21st century?[/quote']

Considering that the big buzzword for his armor was that it consisted of (gasp) 'transistor' technology back in the '60s I would say...not.

Okay' date=' we're going to ignore much of his history. Another thing that his life doesn't really account for is that technology has advanced so much since his original inception. True, he's still supertech, but does the original armor still seem worthwhile if he made it in the 21st century?[/quote']

Actually, It is almost as amazing now as it was then. The suit can stop all small arms fire without even letting a bruise through to the wearer, allows him to throw cars, and he can fly as fast as a Jetfighter.

That would be every bit as amazing now as it was then.

• 4 weeks later...

Okay, after a too long hiatus, I'm looking at this again. Remember, I am going for a "Generic" suit for IronMan.

Here's my Quandry.

I've decided to go OIHID (Only in Heroic Identity) for his armor rather than OIF...because, the points don't matter to me, and Ironman rarely seems to have complications with his armor unless the plot calls for it.

My current quandry is one of powersupplys and figured characteristics.

If anyone ever deserved figured CHA from his armor, it's Tony, he is the standard bearer for Powered Armor chracters. His armor is more sophisticated than anyone else in the MU including Dr. Doom (In my opinion)

So if I use figured cha right now his END is 100 rec 22. Should I:

a) simply slap some more end on him (OIHID) and/or give him a back up battery (End Reserve).

B) Give him a big reserve and use the enhanced "personal end" as the back up.

c) Make his stats no Figured CHA and give him multiple END reseves

His defenses at this time include Armor, a small FF, and Protected Senses (Sight, Hearing, Radio). Has Tony ever claimed to have Anti Psionic Technology? Anti Magic Tech? (Power Defense). I could See Lack of Weakness for resistant defenses easily. I don't know if I'll do Damage Reduction for Ironman, if I do it will be considerably less than I gave Thor. perhaps 25%.

Okay, after a too long hiatus, I'm looking at this again. Remember, I am going for a "Generic" suit for IronMan.

Here's my Quandry.

I've decided to go OIHID (Only in Heroic Identity) for his armor rather than OIF...because, the points don't matter to me, and Ironman rarely seems to have complications with his armor unless the plot calls for it.

My current quandry is one of powersupplys and figured characteristics.

If anyone ever deserved figured CHA from his armor, it's Tony, he is the standard bearer for Powered Armor chracters. His armor is more sophisticated than anyone else in the MU including Dr. Doom (In my opinion)

So if I use figured cha right now his END is 100 rec 22. Should I:

a) simply slap some more end on him (OIHID) and/or give him a back up battery (End Reserve).

B) Give him a big reserve and use the enhanced "personal end" as the back up.

c) Make his stats no Figured CHA and give him multiple END reseves

His defenses at this time include Armor, a small FF, and Protected Senses (Sight, Hearing, Radio). Has Tony ever claimed to have Anti Psionic Technology? Anti Magic Tech? (Power Defense). I could See Lack of Weakness for resistant defenses easily. I don't know if I'll do Damage Reduction for Ironman, if I do it will be considerably less than I gave Thor. perhaps 25%.

I'd give him a huge whopping CON while in the armor and maybe skip the damage reduction. That boosts his Rec, Stun and END up to where they should be (he can take a punch from the Hulk and be back up after his post phase 12 recovery).

On the other hand, my Tank Guy version of Iron Man relied completely on Damage Reduction.

Here, just as a quick sketch of what Power Armor can look like to kill a tank on 350 points:

GENERIC 350 POINT TANK FIGHTING ARMOR GUY!

Val Char Cost Roll Notes

120 STR 5 33- Lift 419.4ktons; 24d6 [11]

20 DEX 30 13- OCV: 7/DCV: 7

13 CON 6 12-

11 BODY 2 11-

13 INT 3 12- PER Roll 12-

10 EGO 0 11- ECV: 3

20 PRE 10 13- PRE Attack: 4d6

10 COM 0 11-

4/42 PD 1 Total: 4/42 PD (0/38 rPD)

4/42 ED 1 Total: 4/42 ED (0/38 rED)

4 SPD 10 Phases: 3, 6, 9, 12

6 REC 0

26 END 0

26 STUN 0 Total Characteristic Cost: 68

Movement: Running: 6"/12"

Leaping: 25"/100"

Swimming: 2"/4"

Cost Powers END

Generic Tank Fighting Power Armor, all slots OIF Unbreakable (-1/2)

32 1) Generic Fuel Reserves: Endurance Reserve (240 END, 24 REC) (48 Active Points); OIF Unbreakable (-1/2)

30 2) Absurdium Shell I: Energy Damage Reduction, Resistant, 75% (60 Active Points); STUN Only (-1/2), OIF Unbreakable (-1/2)

30 3) Absurdium Shell II: Physical Damage Reduction, Resistant, 75% (60 Active Points); STUN Only (-1/2), OIF Unbreakable (-1/2)

95 4) Absurdium Shell III: Armor (38 PD/38 ED), Hardened (+1/4) (142 Active Points); OIF Unbreakable (-1/2)

7 5) Generic Leaping: Leaping +1" (25" forward, 12 1/2" upward) (Accurate, x4 Noncombat) (11 Active Points); OIF Unbreakable (-1/2) 1

52 6) Generic Exoskeleton: +105 STR (105 Active Points); No Figured Characteristics (-1/2), OIF Unbreakable (-1/2) 10

8 7) Generic Life Support Systems: Life Support (Safe in High Pressure; Safe in High Radiation; Safe in Intense Cold; Safe in Intense Heat; Safe in Low Pressure/Vacuum; Self-Contained Breathing) (19 Active Points); Fuel Dependent (fuel is Common; must refuel Once per 6 Hours; -1), OIF Unbreakable (-1/2)

Perks

5 Money: Well Off

Notes: Enough Generic Wealth to Build That Armor

Skills

3 Inventor 12-

2 Weaponsmith (Power Armor) 12-

3 Computer Programming 12-

3 Electronics 12-

3 Scientist

1 1) SS: Computer Science 11- (2 Active Points)

1 2) SS: Electrical Engineering 11- (2 Active Points)

1 3) SS: Mechanical Engineering 11- (2 Active Points)

1 4) SS: Robotics 11- (2 Active Points)

4 TF: Mecha, Science Fiction & Space Vehicles

1 WF: Mecha Weapons

Total Powers & Skill Cost: 282

Total Cost: 350

200+ Disadvantages

150 Custom Disadvantage

Notes: Some random Disads

Total Disadvantage Points: 350

Background/History: A generic childhood lead to a generic accident, resulting in generic genius. A generic invention of power armor followed by generic devotion to the fight against Evil in tanks followed.

Personality/Motivation: Generic nice guy, when in armor a generic Armored Hero.

Quote: "I'm Generically Tougher than Tanks!"

Powers/Tactics: Hit tanks. Get hit and not die.

Campaign Use: You're kidding, right?

Appearance: Generically average looking.

Character by Robert Dorf.

Okay, to let you see what I am talking about here is draft #1 with OIHID and FIgured CHA allowed.

Iron Man

Val Char Cost Roll Notes

13/60 STR 3 12- / 21- Lift 151.6kg/102.4tons; 2 1/2d6/12d6 [1/3]

12/25 DEX 6 11- / 14- OCV: 4/8/DCV: 4/8

15/50 CON 10 12- / 19-

12/32 BODY 4 11- / 15-

30 INT 20 15- PER Roll 15-

18 EGO 16 13- ECV: 6

18/28 PRE 8 13- / 15- PRE Attack: 3 1/2d6/5 1/2d6

14 COM 2 12-

6/45 PD 3 Total: 6/45 PD (0/30 rPD)

6/45 ED 3 Total: 6/45 ED (0/30 rED)

3/6 SPD 8 Phases: 4, 8, 12/2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12

6/22 REC 0

30/100 END 0

30/100 STUN 3 Total Characteristic Cost: 86

Movement:

Running: 6"/12"

Leaping: 2"/4"

Swimming: 2"/4"

Cost Powers END

The Golden Avenger Series Attribute Enhancements, all slots Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4)

47 1) a- Servomotor backed Artificial Musculature weave: +47 STR, Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4) (59 Active Points); Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4) 2

9 2) b- Strength Protocal Overrides: +50 STR (50 Active Points); Increased Endurance Cost (x10 END; -4), No Figured Characteristics (-1/2), Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4) 50

31 3) c- Neuropathic Relays: +13 DEX (39 Active Points); Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4)

56 4) d- Impact diffusion & Resiliance Enhancement: +35 CON (70 Active Points); Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4)

32 5) e- Structural Integrity: +20 BODY (40 Active Points); Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4)

8 6) f - Confidence & Impressive Armor: +10 PRE (10 Active Points); Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4)

2 7) g- Energy Diffusion coat: +2 ED; Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4)

16 8) h- Reaction Enhancement: +2 SPD (20 Active Points); Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4)

6 9) i- Structural Integrity II: +8 STUN (8 Active Points); Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4)

The Golden Avengers Series Defenses, all slots Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4)

48 1) Golden Avenger Armor: Armor (20 PD/20 ED) (60 Active Points); Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4)

32 2) Magnetic Field: Force Field (10 PD/10 ED), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Persistent (+1/2) (40 Active Points); Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4)

24 3) Protected Senses: Hearing Group Flash Defense (10 points), Radio Group, Sight Group (30 Active Points); Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4)

Perks

5 Avengers Assemble: Fringe Benefit: Membership: The Avengers (Active Membership)

5 Avengers Gear: Vehicles & Bases: Quinjets, Avengers Mansion, other offices - Individual Contribution

5 Avengers ID Card: Access: Avengers Mansion

8 Avengers ID Card: Computer Link: AVENGERS Database

40 Le'ts get to my Summer Home: Workshops/Safehouses

2 Oh my God! The Avengers!: Reputation: Member of the Avengers (A small to medium sized group) 14-, +2/+2d6

8 The Perks of the Job: Fringe Benefit: CEO of a major business, International Driver's License, Passport

11 Tony's Loaded: Money: Filthy Rich

3 Well-Connected

14 1) Contact: Business Contacts (Contact has useful Skills or resources), Organization Contact (x3) (15 Active Points) 13-

2 2) Contact: Pentagon (Contact limited by identity: Tony Stark), Organization Contact (x3) (3 Active Points) 11-

14 3) Contact: Top Men in the Industry (Contact has access to major institutions, Contact has very useful Skills or resources), Organization Contact (x3) (15 Active Points) 11-

Skills

3 Analyze: Technology 15-

3 Bureaucratics 13- (15-)

3 Computer Programming 15-

3 Cryptography 15-

3 Electronics 15-

3 Inventor 15-

3 Mechanics 15-

3 Paramedics 15-

3 Scholar

2 1) KS: Business Development (3 Active Points) 15-

2 2) KS: Business Law (3 Active Points) 15-

2 3) KS: Business Management (3 Active Points) 15-

2 4) KS: Computer Databases (3 Active Points) 15-

2 5) KS: Finance (3 Active Points) 15-

2 6) KS: International Business (3 Active Points) 15-

2 7) KS: Market Analysis (3 Active Points) 15-

3 Scientist

2 1) SS: AI Technology 15- (3 Active Points)

2 2) SS: Battlesuit Engineering and Design 15- (3 Active Points)

2 3) SS: Communications Engineering 15- (3 Active Points)

2 4) SS: Computer Control Systems 15- (3 Active Points)

2 5) SS: Electrical Engineering 15- (3 Active Points)

2 6) SS: Energy Conversion Systems 15- (3 Active Points)

2 7) SS: Lasers 15- (3 Active Points)

2 8) SS: Magnetics 15- (3 Active Points)

2 9) SS: Mathematics 15- (3 Active Points)

2 10) SS: Mechanical Engineering 15- (3 Active Points)

2 11) SS: Metallurgy 15- (3 Active Points)

2 12) SS: Microelectronics 15- (3 Active Points)

2 13) SS: Neural Interface Technology 15- (3 Active Points)

2 14) SS: Optics 15- (3 Active Points)

2 15) SS: Physics 15- (3 Active Points)

2 16) SS: Robotics 15- (3 Active Points)

2 17) SS: Weapons System Engineering 15- (3 Active Points)

3 Security Systems 15-

3 Systems Operation 15-

2 TF: Quinjet

3 Teamwork 11- (14-)

Total Powers & Skill Cost: 517

Total Cost: 603

550+ Disadvantages

10 Hunted: Avengers Liason 11- (As Pow, NCI, Watching)

15 Hunted: Foes of the Avengers 11- (As Pow, Harshly Punish)

20 Hunted: Iron Man's Rogues Gallery 11- (As Pow, NCI, Harshly Punish)

10 Hunted: Pentagon 8- (Mo Pow, NCI, Watching)

10 Physical Limitation: Recovering Alcoholic (Infrequently, Greatly Impairing)

15 Psychological Limitation: Doesn't like to be second guessed or talked down to. (Very Common, Moderate)

15 Psychological Limitation: Noblesse Oblige (Common, Strong)

10 Psychological Limitation: Technophile (Common, Moderate)

15 Reputation: Rich Industrialist, 14-

10 Social Limitation: Must honor Avengers Bylaws & Charter or face expulsion (Occasionally, Major)

15 Social Limitation: Secret Identity (Tony Stark) (Frequently, Major)

Total Disadvantage Points: 603

Background/History:

Personality/Motivation:

Quote:

Powers/Tactics:

Campaign Use:

Appearance:

How is being a technophile a disadvantage worth points? It's not like he'll refrain from demolishing Ultron because he's such a unique technology.
I think there have been times where he has hesitated dangerously long at encountering trully new and unique technology because he was so enamored by it. Thus warranting a disadvantage (privided it is played correctly)

BTW, I think you either should shave his INT down a few points or better peg Dr. Doom and Reed Richards at INT 40. IMO Stark is NOT as smart or mentally capable as Doom or Richards toe to toe. Though, he is close: INT 25 or 28 would be my benchmark, if you restrict Doom and Richards to human maximums of 30. Though, I've seen mention that some of Richards current overwhelming brilliance comes from his bodies maleability and gives his brain levels of flexibility that a mundane human could never possess, thus enhancing his ability to think/theorize/problem solve.

TB

PS You should do the FF after the Avengers :D

I think there have been times where he has hesitated dangerously long at encountering trully new and unique technology because he was so enamored by it. Thus warranting a disadvantage (privided it is played correctly)

BTW, I think you either should shave his INT down a few points or better peg Dr. Doom and Reed Richards at INT 40. IMO Stark is NOT as smart or mentally capable as Doom or Richards toe to toe. Though, he is close: INT 25 or 28 would be my benchmark, if you restrict Doom and Richards to human maximums of 30. Though, I've seen mention that some of Richards current overwhelming brilliance comes from his bodies maleability and gives his brain levels of flexibility that a mundane human could never possess, thus enhancing his ability to think/theorize/problem solve.

TB

PS You should do the FF after the Avengers :D

FF I'll probably get to but as you can see my attention ebbs and flows ;)

Yeah, I got Reed and Vic at at leat 35 (it's not like Albert Zerstoiten has anything on them) :)

Has Tony ever "had trouble" with the concept of Magic? - Just curious.

Umm... I really don't think you should be posting that. :tsk:

Erm...why not?

I'm not disagreeing with you (and apparently the moderators didn't disagree, either) -- but I'm just confused. I found that file from a link here on the boards, and figured it was kosher (since no one said anything on the other thread, one dedicated wholly to that web site). I figured it was some sort of free download or public domain or something.

Sorry if it was against forum rules or something, I just thought it might come in handy for Enforcer and his Iron Man project. I didn't mean to be busting some rule or anything.

Erm...why not?

I'm not disagreeing with you (and apparently the moderators didn't disagree, either) -- but I'm just confused. I found that file from a link here on the boards, and figured it was kosher (since no one said anything on the other thread, one dedicated wholly to that web site). I figured it was some sort of free download or public domain or something.

Sorry if it was against forum rules or something, I just thought it might come in handy for Enforcer and his Iron Man project. I didn't mean to be busting some rule or anything.

I'm a bit surprised that you would think that. That is a published book that someone or somepersons spent many hours and dollars creating in the hopes to earn back the money spent and hopefully make some profit on. That is so incredibly obvious that I'm floored you would think it was free.

There is far to much thievery of rpg material on the web these days all thanks to the pdf format. Just because something can be posted on the internet doesn't mean it should be posted on the internet. The person that has that linked on their site could easily be prosecuted for putting that up there without the permission of the publisher. (BTW, if they have permission than I retract everything I'm saying, but I doubt that is the case.)

Anyway, thank you very much for taking it down. It saves Hero Games from any legal action and that means we don't end up having to suffer. I also understand that your intent was to help and I commend that, but remember my words above, and when you see stuff like that on the web you should report it to try to put an end to it.

BTW, the companies that I do work for have many pdfs available, and they are quite clear about which ones are free and which ones cost. For every thief that steals a pdf that I helped to create, I lose money. I'm sure you wouldn't appreciate it if it happened to you either, and as such can hopefully understand why this was a concern to me.

Sorry for the derailment there Enforcer. I'm done now. :D

when this thread started, I posted a brief summary of powers for the suits taken from a previously published book, it amounted to a total of less than a page, but was that too much information to avoid violating copyrights?

if folks feel I posted too much, I will pull it

thats why I only posted the rough lists of powers and not any values etc

I post quite a bit of Traveller/Traveller oriented material, but I am posting the traveller material within set guidelines obtained from author and copyright holder

and even then I at least try and be careful what I am posting

course with traveller having gone through 5 seperate editions, and 4 different publishers for the main books alone, its hard to keep track of who held what and who to ask for permission

heres an interesting question on the subject of copyrights' date=' say you have an out of print gaming system you want to convert etc... what if you cant find a contact for said company to get permission? are there any resources for finding out such information?[/quote']

The rpg publishers community is a pretty tight bunch that tends to stay in contact and knows people that know people if you know what I mean. ;) Usually asking any "big" publisher to contact other publishers for you will work.

Also, did you know that there was plans for a IronMan Movie? They already had a Tony Stark picked out because the Actor told them he wanted it!!

Which actor? Why are most favoreite Scientologist, Tom Cruise!

Hopefully without the mustache!! Hee hee!

Why are most favoreite Scientologist' date=' Tom Cruise![/quote']

PLEASE OF ALL THINGS SACRED AND RIGHT... NOOOOOO!!!

Anyone but him, please say it isn't so. That would kill any potential of the franchise.