Genres HERO GAMES may want to avoid (intended to be humorous)

AdamLeisemann

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Genres HERO GAMES may want to avoid (intended to be humorous)

Isn't that D&D?

To be fair, any RPG, Even D&D, can be played with three-dimensional characters. All it takes is putting a little work into character creation, to create a character rather than a combat mini. Unfortunately, one of the problems found in complex character rules is the eventual "The he** with this! Let's just go for fights because this character business is too much work" realization. Especially when you run into so many instant-kill effects that it no longer becomes worth it to create anything but a half-@$$ed list of numbers.

The same problem can also happen in HERO, or any other game with great amounts of complexity.

Adam "just taking a neutral perspective" Leisemann

What are Shrinky-dinks?

It's a shrinkable plastic. You draw a picture on it, color it, cut it out, and put it in the oven. If you're using about half a sheet, when it's done, you wind up with a hard plastic, smaller version of your image, which you can then put on a little plastic stand and have these stand in for miniatures.

It's rather handy with Champions-type minis, because they're the right height and they fit inside a hex. Poor man's minis, pretty much. ^ v ^

I've never actively looked for them, but they're marketed to kids. I've found them online for a little more than $1 per sheet.

Oh, and it's rather handy that the plastic's light enough in color (before shrinking) that you can trace images. When used in conjunction with that program for making character images (the name escapes me right now), you can make a decent-looking mini.

I've never actively looked for them, but they're marketed to kids. I've found them online for a little more than $1 per sheet.

Oh, and it's rather handy that the plastic's light enough in color (before shrinking) that you can trace images. When used in conjunction with that program for making character images (the name escapes me right now), you can make a decent-looking mini.

Hero Machine

Now to add more genres:

RaHoWa HERO (HERO version of the game most likely to make one ashamed of their ethnicity (if white): Racial Holy War)

Teenagers From Outer Space HERO (Putting it in HERO makes it lose part of the appeal: Simplicity)

To be fair' date=' any RPG, Even D&D, can be played with three-dimensional characters. All it takes is putting a little work into character creation, to create a character rather than a combat mini. Unfortunately, one of the problems found in complex character rules is the eventual "The he** with this! Let's just go for fights because this character business is too much work" realization. Especially when you run into so many instant-kill effects that it no longer becomes worth it to create anything but a half-@$$ed list of numbers.

The same problem can also happen in HERO, or any other game with great amounts of complexity.

Adam "just taking a neutral perspective" Leisemann

I'll go one further: it is up to the GM. A D&D GM may stress the hack-n-slash aspect as that is how they understand the rules but they are doing their game a disservice. A GM worth their salt doesn't let combat dominate a game and stresses the role-playing not roll-playing aspect of a rpg.

Redundant Hero

This message brought to you by the Department of Dedundancy Department, which reminds you to "Wipe Out, Obliterate, eliminate and Remove Needless and Unneccesary redundancy!".

The Department of Redudnancy Department has given the go-ahead to approve this message.

Pantless HERO

Cow and Chicken HERO

"How DID Mama give birth to a chicken and then to a cow? And if I were Dad, wouldn't I care?"

Featuring The Red Guy in all his myriad forms, Cousin Boneless and SUPERCOW (who speaks only Spanish, but speaks English when not being Super).

Erick Wujcik HERO (mostly because it's depressing being the only person on Earth who can make a good game using Palladium.)

EDIT: So Depressing, in fact, that White Wolf would probably use that as a premise for their next game. :P

America's Funniest Home Videos HERO

On a Very Special HERO (Ironclad's granddaughter is born, and Defender is still baffles how that happenned. Oh, and Takofanes is touched innappropriately.)

(NOT LIKE THAT YOU SICK PERV! :P)