Marvel Universe to Champions conversion.

Irishman

Hey guys,

This is NOT a Marvel vs DC vs Image thread. PLEASE Do not hijack this thread.

My gaming group runs in an amalgam of Marvel and Champions universe. Over the years I have collected some stats on different characters, but its been a long time. Im trying to figure out what published guides there are for Marvel Characters and powers.

There was the old Marvel TSR roleplaying game suppliments, of which I have a two of the 4 books. They then came out with 2 updates, a 1988 and a 1991 book. These are, obviously, twelve years out of date. *ARGH IM SO OLD*.

Have there been any publications since then that list characters abilities and power levels? I want to start converting some characters into Champions, but at the same time Id like to know for example:

What heroes and Villains operate in New York?

And other pieces of storyline / background to go along with powers. Does anyone know if anyhthing like this exists?

Thanks,

Irishman

There have been several Marvel Universe books out there for their game. These books list in Marvel game terms, each character's defenses abilities and statistics. In an Adventurer's Club magazine, there was an article which helped you transfer a character into the Hero Games stats, albeit loosely. I've long since gotten away from Marvel stuff but maybe someone else can help ya.

For better or worse, newer Marvel stats typically appeared with the subsequent RPGs. IIRC, the Marvel Superheroes Adventure Game used SAGA and conversions for it have been done by some board members. Marvel Comics will be publishing a newer RPG this month, I believe, but it may not lend itself to conversions.

New Marvel Game

There will be a new marvel game out in the next few weeks. This game will play very different from most other games because it is dice less. Should be fun for a read but I have my reservations.

Peace

Bryan

PS it is being put out my Marvel. Which is not a good thing if you ask me. I don't has Hero to put out comics so don't ask marverl to put out an RPG.

I think one of the better references was the old Handbook of thr Marvel Universe series. It was not a game supplement, but it tried to describe each hero or villain and his abilities in real world terms (i.e. Thor can lift 45 tons, etc.) In the descriptions it described powers, tactics, background info, location, affiliations, etc.

I haven't seen these around for a long time, but I would almost kill to get a set. I believe DC tried to copy this format for a breif series of thier own but I can't recall what they named it.

DC had Who's Who, depending on the edition controls how "Scientific" they got

MU had two different formats, format one was collected into ten tradepaperbacks (I have all of them) and is renowned for the inacuracy (Extremly low) of its str ratings (Hulk can lift 80 tons when he is calm...WTF)

The second version was loose leaf 2 issues (Have both and the binders, but they are so mixed up I have no idea who went to which one) with standardised art on the front giving a back, side, and front view of the character, with more stats but less prose on the back of each one, heavy paper.

The Who' Who for Marvel came out in 1986. The Gamers Guide to the Marvel Universe came out in 1987, with updates in 1989 and 1991 (and an Xmen update in 1994). So they are up to date.

Thats interesting about the Marvel RPG coming out now. I wonder if they are going to be putting a new set of "who's who" together.

The only bad thing that I had about the Marvel univers guides, is that fore every 1 Interesting person they have in there like, Thor, or Prof. Xavier, they have 3-4 unkonws like Mandroid, or Bettle, or Batroc the Leaper. Lets not forget the all powerful WHITE RABBIT! the badd @$$ lady criminal in a bunny suit!

******* Begin Include ********

BACKGROUND

White Rabbit is a rich woman living out her little girl, criminal fantasies. Friendless as a youth, she retreated into books for enjoyment and protection, in particular the works of Lewis Carroll (Alice in Wonderland.) She married a rich gentleman many years her senior and, when he died, used her vast inheritance to indulge in her desires. She robs for the fun of it, taking special pleasures in looting those places she was forbidden to go as a child, such as fast food havens and comic book stores. White Rabbit usually conducts her crimes backed up by three to six thugs armed with automatic weaponry. She, however, is the center of attention in her crimes and gives the orders. Wrapped safely in her world of criminal fantasies, she has a careless and reckless disregard for the lives of bystanders as well as her own goons. To her opponents she shows no mercy, yet she would rather flee than fight if overmatched.

******* Begin Include ********

Man there used to be some dopey Comic book villains. Consequently, they are all still hanging around the Marvel Universe. Punnisher needs to drop a cap in 'em.

Originally posted by Starwolf

I think one of the better references was the old Handbook of thr Marvel Universe series. It was not a game supplement, but it tried to describe each hero or villain and his abilities in real world terms (i.e. Thor can lift 45 tons, etc.) In the descriptions it described powers, tactics, background info, location, affiliations, etc.

I haven't seen these around for a long time, but I would almost kill to get a set. I believe DC tried to copy this format for a breif series of thier own but I can't recall what they named it.

Just remember that Marvel tons are not real tons. If someone is stated to be able to lift 95 to 100 tons that can mean they can lift trains which weigh 30-40 times that much.

The new Marvel game is already on the shelves and as you can guess it is amazingly simplistic and can not hold a candle to Champions. I think marvel has the worst recod of accurately putting there characters in game terms that I can imagine. It seems like the games are made for kids even though comics themselves have certainly moved on to adult appeal and content quite a while ago. I think the old "handbooks of the marvel universe-deluxe edition are your best bet(even though they are very old now), but nothing beats reading the actual comics regularly and using the characters you know best. I think if you stay away from the really high end ones it is challenging but fun to convert them.

Originally posted by Starwolf

I have both of the comic sets of the handbook, the also did a looseleaf version. It's awesome for background and general ideas of the abilities. Although several people have said over the years that the power descirption\limitations are incorrect.

There are newer versions they're dubbing Encylopedias, all stats are in a game term though. Ther are new books coming our for the MSHRP, but of course conversion work would be necessary.

The DC Who's Who is worthleass unless your just not familiar with their characters. In the hand book you told that Thor can lift X amount of tons. In the Who's Who it informs you that Superman has superhuman Str. (Well duhhhhh!!! )

It also states that Batman knows every forms of martial arts known to man. Something that is impossible given just the number of different forms of Kung Fu there are. Let alone Judo, Karate and all the others in the world. But it is pretty good for background on DCs heros.

There's also GI Joe & Transformers but that's a whole other thread :D

I have the new Marvel Universe RPG and it left a somewhat bad taste in my mouth (Kind of like eating eggs after your brushed your teeth with minty toothpaste). Again, like the TSR version and the Wizard SAGA version, everything is overally simplified for a young audience. Everything is based on stones. Time is based on panels, experience based on lines, and it is extremely difficult to die as you can simply choose to be knocked out for x amount of panels.

Combat goes as follows

I attack with my claws, I put 5 stones into it, and get +2 for the claws, thus I do 7 stones of damage.

HA! I put 6 stones into my defense, and get +1 stone for my rubbery body, you do no damage to me.

Next combat round, everyone gets stones back based on Intelligence and other factors.

OK, hulk hits the 12yr old with a lamppost. 10 stones of strength and +2 stones for the lamp post, the young kid only has 1 stone of defense. He takes 11 stones of damage and is dead. Wait!! I use 1 stone to make it so I am only knocked out for 33 panels.

Repeat and rinse.

Kind of funny, combat with a person with the same stone pool and stats. We could not harm each other at all.

Alas, another dream-filled night of wishing Marvel was done by the folks at hero.

Different Worlds

There was an edition of Different Worlds magazine (at least I think it was Different Worlds) back in the 80's that had write ups for the X-Men, Teen Titans and a few more supers in Champs, Chaosiums' supers game, and another that may have been the Marvel game. It helped us establish baseline for further conversions. My copy grew legs and walked off at my FLGS about 10 years ago. I've been looking for a back issue every since. Someone out there may know of a copy.

Here, try some of these...

http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Alley/1674/MAIN.html

http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Realm/6249/

http://rivendell.fortunecity.com/battlespire/85/homepage.htm

http://www.fortunecity.com/rivendell/meridian/544/mshstats.htm

can't really vouch for their accuracy but it's a start.

over on the DC Heroes/Mayfair Engine/Blood of Heroes side, we have http://www.writeups.org/ which despite using yet another system to convert from, has many marvel characters and rather complete histories where possible.

and finally, I love these two sites, despite them not being actual game sites...

http://www.marvunapp.com/Appendix/index.htm

and

http://www.users.xeroanime.com/~handbook The latter of which Morningstar already pointed out.

Also, I'd just resign myself to doing the old stand-by of hitting the links pages and webrings that you discover prowling through search engines. It can be a hobby and a research project all in one fun time-sink.