Your Favorite Fantasy Weapon?

Starwolf

Re: Your Favorite Fantasy Weapon?

Might as well throw in the Sun Sword' date=' the Starsword, and He-Man's sword and complete the Hanna-Barbera armory.[/quote']

IIRC, none of these were from Hannah-Barbera series. The Sun Sword was from Thundarr the Barbarian (by Ruby-Spears), the Starsword and its other half the Power Sword were from Blackstar, while He-Man was of course from Masters of the Universe (both series by Filmation). Can't remember who did the Sword of Omens and Thundercats, though.

I tend to like my fantasy high-powered, so weapons of that caliber naturally attract me. Stormbringer probably ranks as my favorite, not just for power but for all the wonderful story complications that arise from it. (I agree that I wouldn't want to own it, though.) :angst: The Marvel comic version of Mjolnir holds the place in my heart as coolest magical weapon ever. :love: And while its underlying premise is more science fictional, the trappings of C.J. Cherryh's "Morgaine" series much more resemble fantasy. On that basis I have to give place of honor to her terrible sword Changeling.

BTW Michael Surbrook has HERO writeups for a number of legendary/fictional weapons, including several mentioned on this thread, on his website, here.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still like the idea of my dimensional-nomad swordsman character in a high-powered game, who fought with a lightsaber in one hand, and Stormbringer in the other. :D

Actually, the Sommerswerd from the Lone Wolf adventure gamebooks was cool in a number of ways. And it wasn't even the most lethal weapon you could find, but it was the most mythic.

Well I have to admit I am amazed that I haven't seen any references to the sword from Highlander. It may not be my favorite weapon, but the movie holds a special place in my heart, as I imagine it does in many others.

Going along with "un-named" fantasy weapons, the greatsword that Rutger Hower uses in Ladyhawk is also another favorite, but again, its more the movie and all the parts together that make it cool. (Fresian horse, armor, repeating crossbow, Michelle Pfeiffer :love:)

Which Highlander sword--the katana, MacLeod's original claymore, or the Kurgan's suitcase greatsword?

If we want to go into mundane swords, then both Conan's father's sword and the Atlantean sword he found in the crypt must qualify.

Does anyone remember that cheesys 80s fantasy movie The Sword and the Sorcerer? The hero had a sword with three blades mounted in parallel' date=' and he could launch two of them like missiles. Not a favorite just a little nostalgia for the true cheese of the 80s.[/quote']

That's the one I was talking about when I started this thread.

Another good one was the Sword of Turin from "The Beastmaster".

However' date=' the glass daggers in Snowcrash were...[/quote']

:rofl: That was the first thing I thought about too! Dantana (sp?) BADDDDD! :eek:

Which Highlander sword--the katana' date=' MacLeod's original claymore, or the Kurgan's suitcase greatsword?[/quote']

I was thinking the Katana, but the Kurgans was neat as well.

Glass is supposedly able to have the sharpest edge out of all real cutting surfaces.

I thought only gold was able to hold together at one molecule thickness. Gold makes for a crappy blade.

The hell if I know. :D I just thought that the book said his knives were that thin, hence the sharpness. But it was a LONG time ago when I read that book. I think I was in college back then.

BTW, I heard recently that glass is NOT a liquid. Which really modified how I viewed it. There are many example of ancient glass that has NOT flowed down. The few examples where the base is thicker have been exceptions of bad glass creation/blowing.

Anyhow, the daggers in Snowcrash were armoured glass, or one of the stronger than normal glasses.

Lots of great ideas for magical weapons!

For mundane weapons, I had a dwarf that carried a Pick/Hammer, AP on one side, +1 STUN on the other. Whack 'em with the handle for N damage. Dang, I miss playing FH.

I have to say, Excalibur and Durandal would definetly have to top the list.

The sword Albion from the Robin in Sherwood series of the early to mid nineties was pretty good too. Had an interesting look with the runes on the blade and you gotta love a sword that punishes people for trying to use it against you.

For mundane weapons, the sword is classic of course, but I have also always had a love of chain weapons like the kusari; in the hands of a skilled weilder they are so versatile, so graceful.

For pop-culture weapon (and I know this is horribly cheesy) but as a kid I loved that magic bow that the ranger had in that Saturday morning D&D cartoon; easy to carry, don't have to string it, never runs out of arrows, what every archer wants.

For magic weapons I have used in gaming, my favorites have been:

Spectral Darts: 1d6 RKA NND Does BDY AoE Line, 6 charges. Just throw it and it keeps going right through every opponent in its flight path.

Assassin Gloves: 1½d6 HKA, Invisible Power Effects, 0 END, with +2 Levels to any action using hands.

Living Kusari: 1d6+1 HKA, 5 Shot Autofire, 0 END, with 4" Stretching and +3 Levels. Here the Autofire allows the weilder to do impressive Sweep manuevers without the DCV penalty.

"The most powerful weapon on the planet is a rear view mirror?" - Tom Servo from Cave Dwellers