NOBLES, KNIGHTS, AND NECROMANCERS -- What Do *You* Want To See?

Steve Long

Re: NOBLES, KNIGHTS, AND NECROMANCERS -- What Do *You* Want To See?

For some more stuff for TA as villians id like to see like a typical Sorcerer Preist of Thun. other maybe stats for Skarill Maybe some stuff on those high in the harge****e church . You just gotta love religous wars.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would also like to see at least one sorceror-priest of Thun.

I also hope we see one of the Erqigdlit/wolf-people as a villain, just for some variety. And maybe a femme fatale scheming noblewoman type? Hmm, maybe a scheming Erqigdlit noblewoman femme fatale? :eg:

Any other ideas I might have have pretty much been covered already.

I would also like to see at least one sorceror-priest of Thun.

I also hope we see one of the Erqigdlit/wolf-people as a villain, just for some variety. And maybe a femme fatale scheming noblewoman type? Hmm, maybe a scheming Erqigdlit noblewoman femme fatale? :eg:

That ruthless, conniving bi....

J

I did not see this one mentioned... how about a sample write-up of a witches coven to illustrate cooperative and of course evil spell casting.

And a sample dark knighthood that serves Kal-Turok....

And if you're doing the mentalist soon, I'd like to see a chick who's SFX are mental powers, as they are comparatively uncommon in S&S fantasy; a subtle set of powers that the PCs must find a new way to resist would make for an interesting villainness/villain.

And if you're doing the mentalist soon, I'd like to see a chick who's SFX are mental powers, as they are comparatively uncommon in S&S fantasy; a subtle set of powers that the PCs must find a new way to resist would make for an interesting villainness/villain.

I'm not sure anyone quite like that will make it into NKN, but I'm sure there'll be some characters along those lines in The Ultimate Mentalist, or at least suggestions about how to model such things.

Bah! SFX: Alchemical Mind Control. She's a witch (she's a lover) she brews potions (she's a killer) she's a sinner not a saint... she controls your brain!

Good heavens. More coffee. Point being, psionics aren't unheard of, and it seems like there isn't anything like that in NKN at the moment, so I thought for a change of pace and a bit of variety it'd be good. :D

If we get someone like this' date=' [i']and[/i] the one-armed bandit I opened with, I'd also like to see a seductive vampire. After all, who better to be a neck romancer? ;)

Oh man, that's...that's...well, that's what that is.

Hi!

I would like to have some low-level-bastards worked out well, with focus more on character traits than on powers and other stuff.

I tend to start Fantasy Hero games as 35+35 point games and have therefore not much need for 300+ point-bastards.

And as the book is called "nobles,nights..." I would like to see some well worked out NPCs too, that are not necessary enemies...

And as the book is called "nobles' date='nights..." I would like to see some well worked out NPCs too, that are not necessary enemies...[/quote']This is a good point. At least two or three individuals who could serve as adversaries without necessarily being Bad Guys would be a good change of pace from the usual cannibalistic demon-worshiping sorcerer with severe halitosis.

This is a good point. At least two or three individuals who could serve as adversaries without necessarily being Bad Guys would be a good change of pace from the usual cannibalistic demon-worshiping sorcerer with severe halitosis.

As long as they're adversaries who also happen to be bastards.

[Peterman: "Looks like Johnson's got a polyp in the duodenum... it's benign, but still a bastard."]

• 1 month later...

The TA is fine as a context, but I really want to see "generic" villains... fully fleshed out NPCs with backgrounds and motives and organizations, but who are written in such a way that the serial numbers can be easily filed off and they can be dropped into any campaign.

Scalable villains are especially desirable so they can be adjusted to match a party, or grow with them. I like villains that can suffer setbacks without being finally defeated, so they can come back again.

I'd rather see traditional cliches than gimmicks, and it would be great if the villains are multifaceted enough that we could choose between 3-5 possible plot seeds. That allows for re-use, as well as customization to a specific campaign/party.

MASTER VILLAINS

-- Half-demon ruler

-- Evil High Priest of a dark god

-- Imprisoned demon or godling trying to escape, half asleep but communicates to his servants through dreams. Maybe encountered in the form of sinister idols or artifacts that serve as communication nodes.

-- Black hearted baron who trades in slaves, imprisons and tortures his peasants, employs orcish mercenaries, rules with an iron fist -- and enjoys diplomatic immunity because of his noble status

-- A really powerful wizard who cares about nothing but his research. He has all sorts of stuff you need, but requires insane bargains to get it. If you have something he wants, he'll stop at nothing to acquire it. His sheer power makes him arrogant and virtually untouchable.

GROUPS

-- The shadowy oligarchs of a corrupt city state, who constantly scheme and plot against each other and are not above assassination.

-- Necromancer LICH with assorted servants, both living and dead, and vast shadowy network

-- Typical enclave of evil cultists: a charismatic leader plus his lackeys and spies.

-- Rival adventuring party, who present themselves as heroes but use sneaky and amoral methods to accomplish their goals. They steal the spotlight and all the best contracts, and deliver results too.

-- Ruthless band of highly effective bandits (or pirates?)

-- Cabal of masked hierarchs, each one a potential master villain in his (her?) own right

SOLO ENEMIES

-- The corrupt sherriff

-- The wandering duellist with a chip on his shoulder (potential rival)

-- The good-hearted yet cynical outlaw who steals from the PCs and gives to the poor

-- Annoying talentless Foxbat-like character who keeps showing up and causing mischief, but you can't kill him cause he's the King's nephew (or something)

-- Corrupt merchant who has is the ONLY source of something you really need, but who also despises you

-- Dishonorable knight, the kind who is always challenging Sir Gawain and then cheating to win and then imprisoning him in his castle

-- A mad wizard who creates "jokes" -- cursed magic items, weird hybrid races, and insane pointless dungeons

-- Noble who reluctantly commits atrocities because he's being blackmailed/forced by an unknown villain

-- Ambitious royal cousin scheming for the throne

-- Scheming queen who controls the weak-willed King, has affairs with generals and nobles, has enemies executed, and hatches all sorts of petty plots

-- A fanatical "good guy" who feels the ends justify the means, and who will sacrifice allies without thinking twice. Bonus points if he has critical abilities or resources so they party cannot afford to just take him out.

-- A weird old hermit who is not himself evil, but is constantly making horrible predictions... and they always come true. A harbinger of doom that you really hope to never see again.

-- The baron's favorite dog, who always whizzes on your shoe and nips at your horse and steals your rations.

As long as it's specifically for TA, I'd like to see characters that figure into the overall story arc of the rise and fall of Kal-Turak (and/or the rise and fall of Takofanes). Such as:

Major and minor henchmen of Kal.

A well-intentioned king who tries to defeat Kal, but will only draw his attention.

Other major bad guys that might be rival world-conquerors. (I've often thought it would be cool for the climactic fall of Kal to be caused by a fight between him and another major baddie - perhaps the whole world - good and evil have to unite to defeat him. I had one idea about the PC's teaming up with Thun to defeat Kal.)

I'd like to see some non-human foes as well. I don't mean a description of "a dragon," but "The Great Dragon Vermicelli who demands his monthy sacrifice of virgins from the town below his mountain lair."

Orc, Drakine, Erqigdlit, etc. chieftains and kings.

How 'bout a cabal of wizards who aren't trying to take over to world or do anything evil, they're just seeking magical knowledge. However, they are completely amoral in this pursuit.

A powerful evil being who has been transformed into something innocuous.

One of the things I liked from some earlier Champions books were the "Hero option/Villain Option" bits. I'd like to see these guys mostly written up as bad guys, but with a bit of text giving a way to make them good while maintaining their basic flavor.

Something like:

"Noble Option: Sir Scumbag quests not to slay the Twelve Maidens of Virtue, but to help them find knights of sufficient virtue and prowess to wed them. He will still issue many challenges, but it is to test potential suitors. Change his "Well...he's a scumbag" psych lim to "Devoted to the TMoV". Change the points spent on his poisoned lance to skill levels via IIF "Favors of the TMoV"."

I think it got pushed back largely because of USPD, and followed immediately by USKL. Those two forces combined, then con season, have delayed the text somewhat, although I recall Steve saying this would be up next.