Paintball Gun?

Trebuchet

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Paintball Gun?

How would you build an ordinary paintball gun within Hero? Flash? Darkness? Something else?

I would say 2 or 3 d6 EB vs PD, STUN only.

What are you going to do with it?

If cover someone's goggles with paint, which is implied by your question, flash.

Number Two Son had a character with a paintball gun. It was the SX for her find weakness, useable by others. "Hit him THERE!"

Which would be a custom lim, "Only if hit in the face, -2" since it's a called shot and seriously reduces the effectiveness of the Flash itself. Also, I'd likely do as McCoy said - once someone has been 'painted' the paint confers a +2 bonus to PER checks against the victim.

I would say 2 or 3 d6 EB vs PD' date=' STUN only.[/quote']

That's how I'd do it. You can get bogged down by linking a Flash and Images or Transforms, but that seems awfully expensive for the utility. Just go with a small Stun Only EB and call the paint splatter SFX.

If cover someone's goggles with paint' date=' which is implied by your question, flash.[/quote']Yes, covering goggles or eyes with paint was the result I was looking for. Sounds like a small Flash, perhaps combined with a small ED, is the best way to go about it.

Here's an odd thought; what if you made it a 1d6 opaque entangle? Then they might have to make some sort of action to clear away the paint (i.e.' date=' free themselves from the entangle) before they can see again.[/quote']

Casual Strength makes this kind of useless, though, in a lot of cases (depending on the game, of course). I'd still probably use Flash with a limitation that the target can use a Full Phase action to end the Flash (rubbing the paint out of his eyes/off his visor).

Casual Strength makes this kind of useless' date=' though, in a lot of cases (depending on the game, of course). I'd still probably use Flash with a limitation that the target can use a Full Phase action to end the Flash (rubbing the paint out of his eyes/off his visor).[/quote']

0 Endurance Darkness, Continuous, No Conscious Control (character who used the ability doesn't decide when it ends), can be gotten rid of easily. Wouldn't make sense as a Flash because when that wears off is dependent on the power, paint dries and stays on for a very long time, and because you don't need to do Body with the paint gun to cover their eyes with paint.

0 Endurance Darkness' date=' Continuous, No Conscious Control (character who used the ability doesn't decide when it ends), can be gotten rid of easily. Wouldn't make sense as a Flash because when that wears off is dependent on the power, paint dries and stays on for a very long time, and because you don't need to do Body with the paint gun to cover their eyes with paint.[/quote']

... uh, what does doing Body have to do with anything?

... uh' date=' what does doing Body have to do with anything?[/quote']

Does Flash work differently in 5th Edition?

To use a Flash, make a normal ranged Attack Roll against the target. If the roll is successful, roll the Flash dice, and read them like normal dice looking for the BODY total (see Determining Damage). The total number of BODY, minus the target's Flash Defense (if any), is the number of Phases that the target's sense is disabled.

It's not regular damage, but the Flash attack still has to do Flash BODY to have any effect, and even then the duration is directly tied to the amount rolled.

Here's the context I need this for: In my Dark Champions campaign, some ATM thieves are taking out the surveillance cameras around the ATMs with paintballs before cutting into the machine and taking the cash. I want to get some idea what will happen if they hit one of the heroes in the eyes with a paintgun pellet. Both heroes have enough PD that the attack won't cause them physical injury.

Flash is the right effect, but it fades too quickly. Perhaps a small opaque Entangle? A hero could wipe it off, but obvously a camera has no hands to clear its lens.

Flash is the right effect' date=' but it fades too quickly. Perhaps a small opaque Entangle? A hero could wipe it off, but obvously a camera has no hands to clear its lens.[/quote']

Doesn't prevent the cameras from moving, though. (True, an ATM camera won't be pivoting anyway; but it's the principle of it.) I think the "Darkness, persistent" method I posted above would suffice for this. Figure out the air's capacity for sunlight (assuming they rob it during the day), and create that much Darkness for an effectively negated vision.

I like the Opaque Entangle idea.

Although system-wise I'm not exactly sure how to do it, it's a neat concept. The heroines of the anime/manga series You're Under Arrest were very good paintball players, and were able to apply their skills to real-world police work (when you're in the middle of a high-speed car chase, some paintballs to the windshield can really ruin your day....). Additionally, they used paintball guns that resembled real firearms, which at one point led a couple of bad guys who had wandered into the game to believe they had been shot with real bullets, causing them to pass out from mental shock (Presence Attack?)....

Here's the context I need this for: In my Dark Champions campaign, some ATM thieves are taking out the surveillance cameras around the ATMs with paintballs before cutting into the machine and taking the cash. I want to get some idea what will happen if they hit one of the heroes in the eyes with a paintgun pellet. Both heroes have enough PD that the attack won't cause them physical injury.

Flash is the right effect, but it fades too quickly. Perhaps a small opaque Entangle? A hero could wipe it off, but obvously a camera has no hands to clear its lens.

Yeah, for that, 1 Body 0 DEF opaque entangle sounds right.

How's this?

Paintball Gun: (Total: 70 Active Cost, 19 Real Cost) Entangle 2d6, 0 DEF (Stops A Given Sense Group: Sight Group), 16 Charges (+0), Takes No Damage From Attacks All Attacks (+1/2) (45 Active Points); No Defense (-1 1/2), Does Not Hinder Movement (-1), OAF (-1), Cannot Form Barriers (-1/4) (Real Cost: 9) plus Cosmetic Transform 2d6 (target into colorfully painted target, washing off paint/removing Entangle), 16 Charges (+0), Partial Transform (+1/2) (15 Active Points); OAF (-1), Linked (Compound Power; -1/2) (Real Cost: 6) plus EB 2d6 (vs. PD), 16 Charges (+0) (10 Active Points); OAF (-1), Linked (Compound Power; -1/2) (Real Cost: 4).

How's this?

Paintball Gun: (Total: 70 Active Cost, 19 Real Cost) Entangle 2d6, 0 DEF (Stops A Given Sense Group: Sight Group), 16 Charges (+0), Takes No Damage From Attacks All Attacks (+1/2) (45 Active Points); No Defense (-1 1/2), Does Not Hinder Movement (-1), OAF (-1), Cannot Form Barriers (-1/4) (Real Cost: 9) plus Cosmetic Transform 2d6 (target into colorfully painted target, washing off paint/removing Entangle), 16 Charges (+0), Partial Transform (+1/2) (15 Active Points); OAF (-1), Linked (Compound Power; -1/2) (Real Cost: 6) plus EB 2d6 (vs. ED), 16 Charges (+0) (10 Active Points); OAF (-1), Linked (Compound Power; -1/2) (Real Cost: 4).

Looks pretty good, but you probably should/could drop a required target limitation (only if attack hits the Head -2) on the flash portion of the attack, at least for a realistic write up as opposed to a superheroic one.

I can't see a paintball gun doing more than 1d6 unless you turned the compressed air up loads.

I've taken the odd hit where I got a bruise but with a 2d6 that could be as much as 4 body which would be breaking bones for normal people.

Too many trips to ER and paintballing would start to lose it's shine for most people.