Storn Art from idea to full picture Year 3

death tribble

Those of you who are regular frequenters of the board will recall that for the last two years I have run threads about getting a character commissioned and drawn by Storn. Two years back we also had the prelim drawings.

The first winner was the pic called Cyanide which you can see on Storn's website. Last years was Sadhana an Asian Indian mystic.

I will commission a new piece of art from Storn for probably July and we have until then to come up with ideas for him to do. I will reiterate the rules from the past two years.

First off people are allowed to contribute ideas BUT there is a snag.

As I am the one paying for it I have to approve it. And Storn has to be willing to draw it. Part of the idea is to challenge the artist with something he hasn't done before or not done in a while.

So some ground restrictions and rules.

(1) The picture has to be for Champions. It is what I play and it is in this forum that the thread is posted.

(2) No Patriots. Still. Two years back Etherio posted a whole bunch on his campaign thread and Storn did me one of Britannia. I have also got ones in the pipeline for my own votes and Liberty Helle won that last year.

(3) No standard gun users. I have lots of pictures and a standard gun user has no appeal for me. No matter how "cool" you may think the idea is.

(4) No animal motifs. I had one done last year, The Leopardess, and there is another in the pipeline.

(5) No kid heroes/villains. I like the over 18 crowd and proper heroes such as Superman, Batman, Wonderwoman etc. Anyone even suggesting something akin to the Power R*****S will be summarily subject to a dousing with crude oil. And this year we set you alight as well

(6) It must be something that I would want to use and something that would interest me. If not then no go ahead.

(7) Storn has certain restrictions of his own both because he will be putting the final product on his web site and has his own likes and dislikes. With this we will heed the former and indulge the latter. No Intellectual Property for example so no pics of Batman, Superman, Spiderman, Captain America.

(8) Idea can be of an agent, a normal superhero/villain or a boss/mastermind

(9) No Superman or Green Lantern types. Storn did two of the former and one of the latter within the last two years.

I'll post my own ideas a little later on. So post your idea, if I like it then we'll proceed.

You may just have a name and we can bash ideas around about it until we get a full picture.

Of course if you don't like this approach you could always ask Storn yourself.

We have all through the months of May and June to post and reject ideas.

But it may take longer.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Storn Art from idea to full picture Year 3

Interest was raised by Storn last year for an Ice hero/villain so that is back on the list.

My own idea is a battlesuit or a succession of same. Either like the original Iron Man one, the all yellow suit;

or a standard sort of Silver age version (like the classic Iron Man)

an Iron Age version of said suit

and lastly a modern day sort of Nanite version.

But that is it for the minute. What are your ideas ?

It's BRICK TIME!!!

I've kept an eye on Storn's art thread and I don't remember seeing to many Super-Bricks.

Now, I'm not talking about the simple, good looking human who is nigh invulnerable and can fly like Superman or Wonder Man, I'm talking about the heart and soul of the team.

I'd love to see Storn push his creative abilities and come up with a Brick for the times. It's 2006 (or maybe later in your game) and while some Brick archetypes such as the Thing and Hulk have withstood the test of time there is a need for the next generation of Brick!

The Golden Age gave us drug-induced supermen and robots. The TRUE Brick dominated the Silver Age. The upswing of comics in the 80's gave us some cool (if not classic) new looks at the Brick such as Stormwatch's Fuji

A being of immense size and strength comprised of pure energy who possesses the ability to control the density of his body granted by his containment suit. However, he is unable to control his molecular structure without it and he would revert into a radioactive cloud of plasma, possibly dying in the process without some other form of containment.)
And the 90's were full of cybernetic wannabes who thought that they were tough, but eventually were sold for scrap metal and IONIC beings.

Now, here we are in the next millennia. What form will the Brick take as he spearheads our hero teams advance into the future? Can Storn pull off a truly inspiring design (Not to take anything away from the guy's incredible talent, but I actually have my doubts. It's a tough assignment - :( ).

Can we, as a unified forum, fully describe the "NEW BRICK" for Storn?

It sounds like an incredible project to me.

So my idea for a 12 year old antropomorphic gun bunny would be right out' date=' eh? ;)[/quote']

Only if he was dressed as Batman...

ObIdeas:

• A living shadow, that can take over the shadows of those with evil thoughts
  • Five people were simultaneously struck by lightning - and now they have become... Gestalt! You know those shows where five robots transform and come together to become one robot? Well, imagine that, only with people...
  • Two "Ice-based" ideas - Glacier, an entirely transparent, smooth-skinned brick type. Slow but unstoppable. And Jack Frost, the traditional spiky icicle-based guy.
  • I like the idea of an agent - something against the normal mould. Like a Silver Avenger, only instead of being a combat monster, he's their in-field hacker.
  • A Power Armour hero/villain, but the Power Armour is in fact made of various transparent force fields.
  • There was an issue of Swamp Thing in the '80's where the Demon armoured himself up by sticking various creatures to himself - like spiking a scorpion to his shoulder for pauldrons. That would be a cool image, armoured entirely in carapaced beasties.
  • The Amazing Watermelon Man! I have no idea what this would entail :)

Golden Age's Brick of Tomorrow idea got me thinking, though I'm sure this isn't where he was going with it.

How about a classic strong guy Brick in a torso and arm exposing outfit, with an unusual cyborg style. He appears to be all flesh, and muscular, but where his veins would be showing under his skin is instead metal coils, some of which break through the skin and writhe about him like tiny tendrils. I just have this weird image in my head. It's a bit 90s, but seems unusual compared to the usual metal arm cyborg brick type. Hardwire might be a good name for such a guy, but it's just an idea off the top of my head.

The other idea I had was in an Energy Projector/Metamorph (Multiform) vein. Storn might consider it a cheat, because it would be a two for one deal. Two figures, Day and Night. Day is a vibrant openly fun (with a bit of cheesecake) superheroine, and she dresses in bright sunthemed colors and as her name implies, she has light powers. Night, while also beautiful, is more enshrouded and concealed, definitely much more mystery and aloofness and wearing dark colors to match her darkness wielding powers. The drawing I imagine might have one looking through a mirror to see the other looking back at her. Perhaps only one can be in this world at a time. Another option would be to catch her in mid change at dawn or dusk.

I'd kind of like to see a Catavalan martial artist' date=' myself. Maybe someone who came to Earth from the Malvan arena.[/quote']

I'd love to see a few more drawings of alien superheroes myself *nod*

I suggested this one last time, don't remember if it made the cut or not.

90's style Image/Wildstorm type character: Feathered mullet, shoulderpads, cybernetic eye, big guns, disproportionate (Leifeld-esque) arms and legs; exaggerated pose, etc.

a Hanna-Barbera style Superhero: Like Space Ghost or Birdman.

A super-vehicle like the 60's TV Batmobile or even something stupid like the Spider-Buggy or the Super-Mobile.

Five people were simultaneously struck by lightning - and now they have become... Gestalt! You know those shows where five robots transform and come together to become one robot? Well, imagine that, only with people...

I have immagined this with people and all I can say is:

"Dude! Get your ****ing foot out of my head! God damn, why do I have to be a leg? Couldn't I have been an arm or the torso?"

Yay! It's back!

Okay, my two initial ideas: I too love ice weilders. I'd like to see an ice based brick, a giant of a character in perspective from the little people below him.

On the other hand, I'm thinking gadgeteer. He's a wheelchair bound inventor surrounded by tons of surreal and intriguing devices, many of which are intelligent unto themselves. And of course, that's no normal wheelchair...

Hey Death Tribble, Could you drop me a quick line. I was going to email you via the discussion boards, but you have that turned off. Could I get you to email me then. I want to officially ask you about using your Storn commission of Ringmistress......

I have only two members of the Lords of Justice left to commission for and one is a Flagsuit, so...

The other is a speedster (Storn's done a few of them), my speedster bursts into flames when he runs. That's his schtick.

Okay, as a Brick player almost exclusively I tend to focus on them.

Let's look at some Brick Styles that would be unique or different.

Ice Brick - since it's been mentioned, I believe Storn did a black and white pick of Ymir for the original Champions Universe. I had an idea for a similar "Ice Giant" However, he'd have nowhere near human porportions, A huge barrel chest, massive shoulders and arms and squat, but powerful legs. made of living ice, wearing sectional armor or sectional costume.

Fire Brick. As above but with jet black hair and beard, black iron armor perhaps a club or something. nimbus of flame surrounding him.

How bout an elemental based martial artist?

How about ...

- A Cyborg with the ability to control metal

- An ice controlling viking with an ice blade

- An sea-based armored hero

- A character like Equinox or Freezerburn that has both flame and ice powers

- An alien mystic

We've had a number of ice based ideas, so I'd like to present my own:

Frostflame, an energy projector with powers over hot and cold. She generally shoots fire stuff with one hand, and does ice stuff with the other, so her costume could be like some stylish parka thing on the cold side, which thins across her body to the more traditional and revealing skintight spandex.

Hey Death Tribble' date=' Could you drop me a quick line. I was going to email you via the discussion boards, but you have that turned off. Could I get you to email me then. I want to officially ask you about using your Storn commission of Ringmistress......[/quote']

My e-mail contact tells me that you apparantly can't be e-mailed.

Your move.

We've had a number of ice based ideas, so I'd like to present my own:

Frostflame, an energy projector with powers over hot and cold. She generally shoots fire stuff with one hand, and does ice stuff with the other, so her costume could be like some stylish parka thing on the cold side, which thins across her body to the more traditional and revealing skintight spandex.

I just did that one, albeit a male.

For my druthers, the ice-brick sounds interesting.

And that would be a "I'd rather not" to a Wildstorm ode.... enough of that creeps into my work w/o having to go seek it.

How about an ice brick with stretching powers. Have Storn do strecthed out arms that still show the muscles of a brick, and maybe juggling a snowball or something.

Or course trying to get a character like that for 350 pts might be hard.

Hey Storn, Did you get me last commission? I had that trouble with Paypal? You never returned my email. Not trying to rush, just confirming you have it.....You should have 3 from me to do.....

As you know from my previous post I'm all for the Brick... The Ice Brick is a nice idea!

What's say we complicate the character a bit. Perhaps he gets his powers from a mystical source... But doesn't transform into a giant, stretching Ice-Brick, but rather builds it up around himself layer upon layer of ice.

I see something like the HeroClix Sinestro (only different and not as big). At the core of this menacing oversized stretching Ice-Brick is the form of a regular, human sized, individual (a female would make a nice contrast to a giant male ice-brick). From within she mystically controls the ice giant, matching his movements to her own.

It'd be a tough visual for Storn but I bet he could pull off a great image.

Thoughts?

How about an ice brick with stretching powers. Have Storn do strecthed out arms that still show the muscles of a brick' date=' and maybe juggling a snowball or something.[/quote']Funny, but I was just pondering the same thing earlier this morning. Some folks had suggested an "ice giant," but an ice-brick with a "body of ice" special effect would make for an interesting variation. He could have low-brick level STR (40 or so), some HA, a couple of inches of Stretching, maybe a few ice-manifestation powers, and some minor metamorphic powers (like body spikes or some such).

Funny' date=' but I was just pondering the same thing earlier this morning. Some folks had suggested an "ice giant," but an ice-brick with a "body of ice" special effect would make for an interesting variation. He could have low-brick level STR (40 or so), some HA, a couple of inches of Stretching, maybe a few ice-manifestation powers, and some minor metamorphic powers (like body spikes or some such).[/quote']

Similar to these?

http://homepage.mac.com/alexsanchez/green/drawingz/iceman.jpg.png

http://www.marveltoys.net/img/xmmaice.jpg