Just thinking. A possible enemy of zombies.

Badger

Re: Just thinking. A possible enemy of zombies.

Humorous up until the zombies zombify the scavengers. Now you aren't being pursued by a horde of shuffling zombies, you're being pursued by a pack of undead zombie dogs. And this is Fantasy Hero, so you don't even have a shotgun.

Most everything that I have read about zombies say that animals and insects instinctively shun the creatures and won't come near them. But then there are many different turns on zombie mythos. There are several zombie/comedy movies out there.

But what if it's a magical critter?

Consider two possibilities... One is a scavenger from the Positive Energy Place (or some "holy" attribute.) Oh, look. Free food! And it walks!

Another is a bit more morbid, but understandable. Give the critter a small animate dead power--it gets a loyal minion and it's a traveling food source!

Hmm. I guess the scavengers could become zombies. But with the exception of George Romero's stuff. i never liked that whole thing, honestly. I get why in some cases zombie's bite kills ya (like komodo dragon). But when it comes to necromancer raising them. Nah. No communicable zombie-making virus (IMO). Anyhow, I was thinking more along the lines of a somewhat incompetent necromancer. :thumbup: But, yeah most scavengers wouldnt attack the moving. Hence why they are scavengers. Though the classic slow shambler might be tempting for an especially hungry scavenger. ;)

One of Howard's Solomon Kane stories dealt with this precise subject.

The vampires only came out at night because the local vultures swarmed them during the day. Note, these were not gothic vampires, but more like ghouls FTR.

However the point remains, the vultures knew a dead body when they spotted one, and attacked on sight, whether still moving or not. I always liked that idea, never had a chance to put it into practise though.

One of Howard's Solomon Kane stories dealt with this precise subject.

The vampires only came out at night because the local vultures swarmed them during the day. Note, these were not gothic vampires, but more like ghouls FTR.

However the point remains, the vultures knew a dead body when they spotted one, and attacked on sight, whether still moving or not. I always liked that idea, never had a chance to put it into practise though.

That could work well with Nekhbet, the Egyptian vulture goddess, depicted as a white vulture representing purification.

That could work well with Nekhbet' date=' the Egyptian vulture goddess, depicted as a white vulture representing purification.[/quote']

Just had an absurd vision: Tolkien meets George Romero. The Battle of the Morannon: "The vultures are coming! We're saved! The vultures are coming!"

More seriously, do you know much about the relationships between Egyptian dieties? I prefer Set, but Anubis is a viable choice, as lord of ghouls. A war between the ghoul people and the vulture people would make an interesting addition to a weird pulp campaign. "Ghouls only come out at night because vultures attack them like flying pirana."

Dragging this back to the original topic: In at least one Call of Cthulhu scenario, it was presented that a necromancer has difficulty controling both ghouls and zombies. The ghouls consider zombies to be a walking deli bar, and will attack the zombies the moment the Boss's back is turned.

Midas

Just had an absurd vision: Tolkien meets George Romero. The Battle of the Morannon: "The vultures are coming! We're saved! The vultures are coming!"
(laughter - a lot)

More seriously, do you know much about the relationships between Egyptian dieties? I prefer Set, but Anubis is a viable choice, as lord of ghouls. A war between the ghoul people and the vulture people would make an interesting addition to a weird pulp campaign. "Ghouls only come out at night because vultures attack them like flying pirana."

Dragging this back to the original topic: In at least one Call of Cthulhu scenario, it was presented that a necromancer has difficulty controling both ghouls and zombies. The ghouls consider zombies to be a walking deli bar, and will attack the zombies the moment the Boss's back is turned.

Midas

I know a bit - I have many books on ancient Egyptian religion. I have even read most of them. (Buying is fast, reading properly is slow.) But I don't want to make a statement equivalent to: "Sure I know all about Christian theology: just ask, I'm the expert."

And, perhaps we have wandered off the original topic.

According to Haitian folklore, a zombie eating salt will realize it is dead, and go lay back down in the grave or attack the zombie master. Therefore, a zombie who touches or eats salt, or who gets attacked with salt may suffer concequences.

Salt.....enemy of Zombies, friend to pretzels everywhere

oryan