DC inspired by TV

Eosin

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: DC inspired by TV

I came within an eyelash of running an A-Team-inspired campaign in PBEM, and I may wind up doing so anyway. The setup would have been that the PCs are all the very best in the world at whatever their speciality is, and they all independently stumbled over the existence of some sort of weird quasi-governmental project that was up to no good. They were all "disappeared" and thrown into a super-secret prison in the southwest, where some were approached about joining the evil project but all of them were tortured to find out how they knew about the project -- after all, so many top-quality experts stumbling over the secret entity at the same time in different locations would never be beleived to be a coincidence, even though it was. Then, an earthquake and an escape, and the team is on the run from a powerful and mysterious organization.

The setting appealed to me because it was perfect for an action-adventure game: fairly lighthearted (though considerably darker and grittier than the series), with both a reason to get into adventures (the PCs are the best at what they do and they keep stumbling into situations where their talents can be of use) and a reason to keep running while they figure out how to fight their powerful and mysterious foe.

Any of the cop-dramas and cop-reality-shows would be good for ideas' date=' info on "how it's really done," etc.[/quote']

:cough: Um, well, except that most of them don't really bear much resemblance to how such things are really done. Not that reality is necessarily Goal Number One in gaming; I'm just saying. Cop-dramas are dramas first, and are about as accurate as anything else Hollywood puts out. Shows like COPS are probably about as "real" as most reality shows - which isn't saying much. So: good source material for gaming, but don't mistake them for documentaries.

One cop friend of mine always insists that the only truly realistic police show ever made was Barney Miller. :D

2. Charmed — witches' date=' white-lighters, demons, and a score of other infernal creatures [b'](my wife watches it).[/b]

C'mon, just admit it... your wife tolerates you watching it. :D

Movies into DC games...

1. Blade (more vampire hunting) :tonguewav

2. Equillibrium :bmk: (a world where emotions are supressed by a fascist government and rebels fight against it, plus the clerics are pretty cool =)

3. Batman :ugly:

4. Mission: Impossible 1-3 (espionage and other "covert" missions) :jawdrop:

5. any James Bond :dyn

6. Hard Boiled (more rounds fired than any movie I've ever seen, and pretty creatively) :bmk:

7. The Killer (assassin with a conscience) :bmk:

Any could be fun, plus all those mentioned above. :thumbup:

The Prisoner would make a really dark campaign. GURPS came out with a Prisoner sourcebook. I don't think it's still in print' date=' but it may be worth getting if you can find it.[/quote']

Just checked the Steve Jackson Games website and it shows GURPS: The Prisoner as out of print. :(

Too bad since most GURPS books that I have had proven useful even if I'm not using that setting. Oh well

Blade the TV series started last night on Spike TV. It is sort of a combination of Dark Champions and Horror Hero. In fact since I don't think any of my players probably are watching it I may lift a few ideas from the series.

Just checked the Steve Jackson Games website and it shows GURPS: The Prisoner as out of print. :(

Too bad since most GURPS books that I have had proven useful even if I'm not using that setting. Oh well

Here's GURPS: The Prisoner on eBay. Notice how GURPS got misspelled!

link

"Wanted". The day-to-day job of a taskforce that must hunt down the 100 most wanted criminals in L.A., by any means necessary-including some that are all but officially over the line.

Although the series doesn't has qite the punch that "The Shield" has, it still is a nice 'dirty-badge-cop' series.

My default campaign timeline, inspired by Wold Newton, assumes that every TV show or movie you've ever seen had some basis in reality. Michael Knight got bumped from the KITT project and ended up heading up a team of crime fighting lifeguards.

The only changes are those needed to let the shows make sense in the same universe.

I actually like this a lot, particularly if you ever need to break in a new set of players, because they can latch onto parts of the universe.

Just one of many crackpot-yet-amusing ideas that come to mind:

The A-Team was indeed framed for a crime they didn't commit... by aliens.

Faceman discovered existence of the Cylons, and their plan to attack earth, which led to their framing of the A-Team.

Poor Murdock was driven insane after getting caught in an experimental "transporter"...

...Oddhat, this idea is way too much fun for words. I insist you create a thread on the topic in the NGD!

:D

My default campaign timeline, inspired by Wold Newton, assumes that every TV show or movie you've ever seen had some basis in reality. Michael Knight got bumped from the KITT project and ended up heading up a team of crime fighting lifeguards.

...it seems oddly appropriate for McGuyver to start up the Stargate project, doesn't it?

:eek: