Need help with a Group name.

input.jack

Okay, so Im about to start a Young Mutants-type game. In the campaign, people who spontaneously acquire Powers are called "Metas". Being a Meta is -similar- to being a Mutant, but there -are- differences.

Anyway, the characters are all 14-17 years old, and are going to be living at a special Institute where they will recieve training in how to use their Powers, as well as attending a regular school for some classes, and to keep them interacting with Normals.

There are only about six or eight "students" at the Institute. The person running the Institute is (predicatably) a powerful Telepath.

Who also needs a name.

My current plan is for the person running the Institute to be a woman, but thats subject to change. Ive also considered making the Telepath one of the students, instead. (There needs to be one around, though, so the team can have mind-link communications, and learn Ego Defense).

So my boggle is that I cant come up with a name for the team as cool as "X-Men". Their goal is to stand between Humanity and evil Metas (and other Villains), and they hope for a day when Metas are considered part of society.

I thought of the name "Aegis", because it means "Shield", and would give them cool "A"-shaped insignia. But some of the Players think it sounds more like a Super-Agent organization name.

Any suggestions?

Re: Need help with a Group name.

How about:

The Young Metas

New Heralds

Heroic (insert # here)

Teen Force

(Insert School name) Squad/Force

As for the professor's name, how about:

Professor Gillian Mind

Administrator Farrah Psi

Well, if I have an idea something I want to sound similar to, I use the handy dandy thesaurus and look up similar words (http://www.thesaurus.com works great).

With that in mind, we get the following for 'Shield':

Main Entry: shield

Part of Speech: noun

Definition: protection

Synonyms: absorber, aegis, armament, armor, buckler, buffer, bulwark, bumper, cover, defense, escutcheon, guard, mail, rampart, safeguard, screen, security, shelter, ward

As for names, I've used this tactic a couple times. Take a word, split it in two, then make 'real' names out of the two parts. For instance, Maelstrom. Mael (or Mal as it's sometimes mis-pronounced) and Strom.

Malcom Stromwell.

The team uniform is going to be a black undersuit with bright boots, gloves, trunks, belt, and shoulders. Each team member will be assigned their own color, so Bastion (the Colossus type) is likely to end up in black and red, Basilisk will be in black and blue, Streak is likely to end up in black and gold, and so on.

I like "Metaforce", as well as several of the other suggestions. Vanguard, Teen Brigade, Meta-Men. Id -really- like a name that lends itself to both a singular and plural form, and could lead to a cool insignia or belt buckle. Like the X-Men, and an X-Man. Neat name. Lets them use the "X" as their symbol, which is both simple and odd at the same time. I wish I could steal it :help:

So something that can be singularized well, like something ending in "-man" or "Legion" or something, I guess, is what Im after. Plus the insignia thing. A name starting with "Meta" makes sense, but "M" isnt a particularly dynamic looking letter. I came up with a few "A" based insignia that were pretty cool.

Thanks for the great suggestions, and please, keep them coming! :)

The team uniform is going to be a black undersuit with bright boots, gloves, trunks, belt, and shoulders. Each team member will be assigned their own color, so Bastion (the Colossus type) is likely to end up in black and red, Basilisk will be in black and blue, Streak is likely to end up in black and gold, and so on.

I like "Metaforce", as well as several of the other suggestions. Vanguard, Teen Brigade, Meta-Men. Id -really- like a name that lends itself to both a singular and plural form, and could lead to a cool insignia or belt buckle. Like the X-Men, and an X-Man. Neat name. Lets them use the "X" as their symbol, which is both simple and odd at the same time. I wish I could steal it :help:

So something that can be singularized well, like something ending in "-man" or "Legion" or something, I guess, is what Im after. Plus the insignia thing. A name starting with "Meta" makes sense, but "M" isnt a particularly dynamic looking letter. I came up with a few "A" based insignia that were pretty cool.

Thanks for the great suggestions, and please, keep them coming! :)

I like the name Teen Brigade. It's a little clunky, but in 3 or 4 years when they all grow up the name could change to just "The Brigade"

Doctor?

Well, if you want to use MetaMen or whatever, the M design can be done. Look at Bishop or whatever from the X-men lineage. Heck, look what they did with the S in Superman... its more about graphic design than the letter.

Uzumaki... Uzumaki... Uzumaki... Uzumaki! Uh... oops, sorry about that.

Never been good with team names... but for the headmaster/mistress, a psychic might be a bit obvious. Try something at least a little different, like a technopath (control over technology ala "Sky High") or a retired batman type (mostly skills and mental accurity/strength of willpower). In fact, I'd lean towards the latter, and call him something simple like The Old Man. Respect via knowledge, tactics, and being able to exploit any weakness a student has. As a "normal" that would make him all the more spectacular.

Okay, so Im about to start a Young Mutants-type game. In the campaign, people who spontaneously acquire Powers are called "Metas". Being a Meta is -similar- to being a Mutant, but there -are- differences.

Anyway, the characters are all 14-17 years old, and are going to be living at a special Institute where they will recieve training in how to use their Powers, as well as attending a regular school for some classes, and to keep them interacting with Normals.

There are only about six or eight "students" at the Institute. The person running the Institute is (predicatably) a powerful Telepath.

Who also needs a name.

My current plan is for the person running the Institute to be a woman, but thats subject to change. Ive also considered making the Telepath one of the students, instead. (There needs to be one around, though, so the team can have mind-link communications, and learn Ego Defense).

So my boggle is that I cant come up with a name for the team as cool as "X-Men". Their goal is to stand between Humanity and evil Metas (and other Villains), and they hope for a day when Metas are considered part of society.

I thought of the name "Aegis", because it means "Shield", and would give them cool "A"-shaped insignia. But some of the Players think it sounds more like a Super-Agent organization name.

Any suggestions?

Interesting. The group I GM'ed in college named themselves Aegis.

Names I've used for groups, for one reason or another: Guardians, Wildstrike, Factor X, DeathWatch come to mind.

The Headmistress/Headmaster is the one naming the group.

My original thought was to make the Headmaster a character from our old 1930's-40's campaign, who was named Manhunter (Aaron Hunter). He was the first person in the campaign world to specifically create a Superhero costume. His "power" was fairly Pulp-ish for someone calling himself Manhunter; he could find people. Anyone. Once he was after someone, he WOULD find them.

I thought that perhaps the "Cerebro"-type device for the game might be simply enhancing this Power of his. He needed the right people for his group; the amplifier helped him Find them.

The problem is that I wanted to eventually justify the characters learning Mental Defense. For that...you need a Telepath. Hence, I thought of making the Headmaster a Telepath, but that way chrome-domes and wheelchairs lay, so I thought Id make the leader a woman instead of a man.

Factor X is an interesting name. And youve got me re-examining Meta-men and Teen Brigade. (If only Leifield hadnt named a team Brigade)...

It's a shame you have already decided to call mutants "metahuman"

The school could be something like Hunter University, which the students might christen as "Meta U". Then, amongst classmeates, they could call each other the Meta U Men. Eventually, someone in the press would simply butcher it to Metahumen. Ironicly, the school logo would be HU, so individualy they really should be H U MAN ;)

The school could be something like Hunter University' date=' which the students might christen as "Meta U". Then, amongst classmeates, they could call each other the Meta U Men. Eventually, someone in the press would simply butcher it to Metahumen. Ironicly, the school logo would be HU, so individualy they really should be H U MAN [/quote']

Hehe... wow, that was a long path for that joke, Bloodstone. :D

My original thought was to make the Headmaster a character from our old 1930's-40's campaign' date=' who was named Manhunter (Aaron Hunter). He was the first person in the campaign world to specifically create a Superhero costume. His "power" was fairly Pulp-ish for someone calling himself Manhunter; he could find people. Anyone. Once he was after someone, he WOULD find them.[/quote']

I think you should stick to this idea, since it has more history for your game. Mental Defense doesn't have to be due to telepathic nature, it could be a discipline of the mind. A person like Manhunter would have to have a pretty strong force of will, and he can teach that to the kids to give them mental defenses. :thumbup:

Its a means to a good end, in my opinion. Better to involve your game world history then to tap into a lame duck idea just because it fits some rules interpretation. :doi:

Hehe... wow, that was a long path for that joke, Bloodstone. :D

I think you should stick to this idea, since it has more history for your game. Mental Defense doesn't have to be due to telepathic nature, it could be a discipline of the mind. A person like Manhunter would have to have a pretty strong force of will, and he can teach that to the kids to give them mental defenses. :thumbup:

Its a means to a good end, in my opinion. Better to involve your game world history then to tap into a lame duck idea just because it fits some rules interpretation. :doi:

Point taken. Hunter it is :)

I don't know. Exercise gives you more STR and CON, but assaults help you build the PD. Seems like the students would be justified in buying more EGO, but not MD.

You know, when the inspiration and precedent for the team name and concept is the New Mutants (because they were, like, mutants and new) I don't think you can fail to do better. Something a kid might think up and find cool actually might work best. Varsity Flight? The Truants?