Enough Power to Destroy A Planet?

SuperBlue

How much damage would it take to destroy the Earth?

In other words, how much BODY and what type of DEF does the Earth Have?

The reason I'm asking this is, I'm trying to devolope a typical doomsday machine in HERO 4e Terms that would blow the Earth to smithereens.

EDIT: This would also be handy for trying to figure out how much power in a Dragon Ball Z Campaign :-p

Re: Enough Power to Destroy A Planet?

Originally posted by SuperBlue

How much damage would it take to destroy the Earth?

In other words, how much BODY and what type of DEF does the Earth Have?

The reason I'm asking this is, I'm trying to devolope a typical doomsday machine in HERO 4e Terms that would blow the Earth to smithereens.

EDIT: This would also be handy for trying to figure out how much power in a Dragon Ball Z Campaign :-p

Check Out Star HERO page 197.

IDHBWM, but I believe with accounting for doubling of size, and if you count it as being made up of stone (19 BODY, 5 DEF), it comes out to something like 177 BODY or RKA 51d6.

Re: Re: Enough Power to Destroy A Planet?

Originally posted by Syberdwarf2

Check Out Star HERO page 197.

IDHBWM, but I believe with accounting for doubling of size, and if you count it as being made up of stone (19 BODY, 5 DEF), it comes out to something like 177 BODY or RKA 51d6.

Only one problem with Star HERO... (okay... 4 Problems)

1) I don't have it

2) The local Gaming Store doesn't carry any HERO Products

3) It costs extra to order

4) I don't have any money

I do plan on asking for 5e Core Rulebook (Champions Universe?), and UNTIL Super Powers Database for my B-Day/X-Mas (both 6 months away)

Re: Re: Re: Enough Power to Destroy A Planet?

Only one problem with Star HERO... (okay... 4 Problems)

1) I don't have it

3) It costs extra to order

4) I don't have any money

I do plan on asking for 5e Core Rulebook (Champions Universe?), and UNTIL Super Powers Database for my B-Day/X-Mas (both 6 months away)

Well, now you know that the Earth has 177 BODY. Using my 1d6 version it will take less than 9 minutes to destroy the Earth. Are you heroes up for it? :)

The Core Rulebooks is HERO System 5th Edition. Champions is a Genre book and Champions Universe is a World Book.

Star Hero talks about stone being roughly 5 DEF and 19 BODY per hex, and the Earth being 67 doublings of a hex in size, for about 86 BODY for the planet. So 91 BODY (26D6 KA) totally destroys it, but they go on to say that it only take about half that to split it into two pieces.

Under 4th edition, the same numbers apply, or a 0 END continuous uncontrolled 2D6 KA with enough area effect to cover the planet (+1 for AE radius, +16 1/2 for extra doublings), so about 600 active points.

Originally posted by Tom McCarthy

Star Hero talks about stone being roughly 5 DEF and 19 BODY per hex, and the Earth being 67 doublings of a hex in size, for about 86 BODY for the planet. So 91 BODY (26D6 KA) totally destroys it, but they go on to say that it only take about half that to split it into two pieces.

Under 4th edition, the same numbers apply, or a 0 END continuous uncontrolled 2D6 KA with enough area effect to cover the planet (+1 for AE radius, +16 1/2 for extra doublings), so about 600 active points.

Well, without the doubling or AE, you could punch a man sized hole THROUGH the earth. I'm not a geologist, but wouldn't that have the effect of destroying the planet - if you have a hole clean through it?

Haven't had enough caffiene yet. :)

I don't wanna just burn a hole in the planet, I wanna blow it up entirely. The attack would be large sphere (about 3" wide) and would burrow into the planet's core, then explode.

Here's the kicker: Let's say I want the beam to be generated by a person. He creates the beam, throws it into the planet, and can keep fighting until it exploads. It doesn't even have to be a person, let's say it's a satelite with a doomsday cannon. How would I simulate firing the beam, and letting it dig to the planet's core before going BOOM? Keep in mind, the beam is a sphere of energy and is self powered, leaving the user able to keep fighting.

DBZ Example: Freeza launches his death cannon into the Planet's surface. It takes several minutes to expload, but Freeza is still able to fight Goku during the entire time.

I don't wanna just burn a hole in the planet, I wanna blow it up entirely. The attack would be large sphere (about 3" wide) and would burrow into the planet's core, then explode.

Here's the kicker: Let's say I want the beam to be generated by a person. He creates the beam, throws it into the planet, and can keep fighting until it exploads. It doesn't even have to be a person, let's say it's a satelite with a doomsday cannon. How would I simulate firing the beam, and letting it dig to the planet's core before going BOOM? Keep in mind, the beam is a sphere of energy and is self powered, leaving the user able to keep fighting.

DBZ Example: Freeza launches his death cannon into the Planet's surface. It takes several minutes to expload, but Freeza is still able to fight Goku during the entire time.

Heck, I think the answer would be complicated. If the attack is simply meant to set off an explosion of the planet that would be caused by the internal forces of the Earth, well, that would mean you just need an attack that can burrow through the earth creating a wide enough tunnel to create the chain reaction that you pseudo-scientifically are trying to explain. Sounds like you might need a geologist.

If there is a condition that would cause the forces in the Earth to cause the Earth to explode then you would build an explosive attack inside the Earth with a trigger. Then your attack would have to be big enough to be the trigger.

If the force/heat/energy of the actual attack is all you need to destroy the Earth you need to explain why it has to go to the core instead of just blowing the planet up when it meets contact.

If Goku defeats Freeza, does it stop the explosion? Is there anyway to stop the explosion once fired and it hits the earth?

From what it sounds like, I would probably do a massive

Body Suppression or Transformation attack that is uncontrolled/cumalative. As soon as it hits the Earth, the attack begins. The SFX of the attack is that as the Suppression/Transformation is beginning, the attack is heading to the center of the earth. Once the attack does enough to destroy the Earth, the SFX is that the attack has reached the center and detonated.

To destroy the planet, just figure out the volume in 2 meter increments (close enough to hexes). Then figure out how much body it would take to destroy every hex in the planet (instead of punching a hole through).

Of course, if your attack is large enough and can target every hex at once (AOE, Indirect, Megascale, etc), you could probably do it with a 1pip penetrating attack in a matter of... say, 19 phases?

The rules in Star Hero state that the planet has 86 BODY, so that is the number you need to over come to break the planet into pieces. The 177 BODY number is the amount of damage required to "vaporize" the planet.

So using that concept you could still use my version listed above but remove the MegaScale. That would give you a 2 meter diameter hole that bores into the Earth and takes a little over 4 minutes to completely destroy the Earth (forcing it to break apart into chunks).

The shut off on the Uncontrolled would be for the person who shot it to be defeated. Hopefully the player could do it in less than 5 turns, let alone 23. :)

Re: Re: Re: Enough Power to Destroy A Planet?

Doesn't carry Hero!!???

Only one thing that can be done.

You'll have to move!

:D

Originally posted by Monolith

The rules in Star Hero state that the planet has 86 BODY, so that is the number you need to over come to break the planet into pieces. The 177 BODY number is the amount of damage required to "vaporize" the planet.

So using that concept you could still use my version listed above but remove the MegaScale. That would give you a 2 meter diameter hole that bores into the Earth and takes a little over 4 minutes to completely destroy the Earth (forcing it to break apart into chunks).

The shut off on the Uncontrolled would be for the person who shot it to be defeated. Hopefully the player could do it in less than 5 turns, let alone 23. :)

Considering many combats are finished in five turns or thereabouts; especially one-on-one duels (ala Goku vs Freeza), that shouldn't be a problem. Goku and Freeza both seem to have incredible speeds, and therefore plenty of phases. I figure they'd both have a phase on every segment.

I know they throw a lot of punches, but if you consider how fast they're moving...

Also, didn't their fight last a lot less than 4 minutes?

Back on topic:

If the attack takes 4 minutes to completely destroy the planet, and 1 Turn = 12 second-long segments = 5 turns per minute. Therefore, 4 minutes would equal 20 turns....

more than enough time to fight the final battle....

I'm not a physisist but I played one in Undergraduate School

The easiest way to destroy the earth for the least points is to Change Environment the core to lack the effect of gravity. Gravity is one of the weakest forces going so it fall in with the notion of it being a "minor" change.

You'd need to double the radius several times so that the part of the Earth is not effective. This will cause massive destruction as the outer shell starts to slough off. Then as the planet rotates faster (you are changing it's overall mass so it would have to) you then start to shrink your area of effect until finally you have one hex square worth of earth left. If you have high enough strength and enough life support I suppose you could rule this very hot and glowing play thing.

If your GM disallows the use of Change Environment to totally affect gravity then you have another option. Buy a flying character with enough strength to push the moon into the Earth. make sure they have a high enough OCV to hit the planet. A near miss would only be catastrophically devestating to the surface! :rolleyes:

1" flight or teleport usable as an attack (+1), 76 doublings of mass (+19) (roughly the mass of the Earth), megascale 1"=1,000,000,000 km (+2.5)

47 active points. This attack is enough to either teleport the earth, or send it hurtling into the sun, or at least close enough where it won't make any difference. :D

Originally posted by Gary

1" flight or teleport usable as an attack (+1), 76 doublings of mass (+19) (roughly the mass of the Earth), megascale 1"=1,000,000,000 km (+2.5)

47 active points. This attack is enough to either teleport the earth, or send it hurtling into the sun, or at least close enough where it won't make any difference. :D

That's a good one.

Originally posted by MarkusDark

If Goku defeats Freeza, does it stop the explosion? Is there anyway to stop the explosion once fired and it hits the earth?

Nope, the attack carries on by itself even after Freeza is defeated. It requires no conscious control.

And the reason for it burrowing to the center of the planet is, the energy beam exploads with such force that it engulfs the whole planet from the inside out.

Maybe a huge RKA with EX, and Indirect with No Conscious Control and extra Time?

This is a bit tricky. In view of your situation with game stores/funds etc., my suggestion isn't going to be a lot of good to you at the moment.

In USPD there is a power called the Nega Beam. It's basically a HERO system write-up of Darkseid's Omega Beam. It's built as a Summon (you Summon the Nega Beam) and the Beam itself is written as a character, so it carries on working independent of the summoner.

The tricky part is that, for obvious copyright reasons, nobody could post the stats for the Nega Beam "character". However, if you think about how you'd construct a character built out of energy which has enough power to destroy a planet, that will start you off.

If you follow this idea, then you'd just give the attack Tunneling, perhaps with the RKA subject to a Limitation Only At The Centre Of The Earth. I'd think that would normally be a -2, but as the beam will have Tunneling, it might only be -1 1/2 or even -1 (depends how long the beam takes to reach the core). It will also be No Range. I am not sure it needs to be Explosive, though. The beam "touches" the core and destroys it; everything else is wiped out as a chain reaction from that. Of course you seem to be recreating a specific power here and I think that points will be no object, but it just sounds unnecessary to me.

Nuclear holocaust?

Well, if the earth only needs 86 body to be blown up... I think we proved the nuclear winter theory wrong. 'CAuse if two of those 20d6K puppies goes off (using 4E figures, anyway - HSA2), the whole world gets blown up!

This would seem to me to be a problem in scaling... or perhaps more a problem of applying rules without thinking about effects.

(Heck, it wouldn't take Dr Destroyer long)

Should the BODY figure be revisited?

On the topic of how to build a planet killer... a continuous uncontrolled attack (mentioned at least twice earlier) could also be used to simulate the other suggestion of a chain reaction going off. Massive explosions setting off other massive explosions setting off tectonic breakdown as more and more mass turns into energy, until the planet blows itself apart. Not terribly scientific, but it's satisfying. :) The summon mentioned in the last post sounds like the ideal delivery vehicle for this to me.

I actually like the idea of Summoning the projectile - easy rules wise (it acts as an independent entity, so will do everything you want), and has a built in way of stopping doomsday - you defeat the summoned 'creature'. Build it with suitable defenses and you're good to go.

Maybe somthing like a takes no STUN automatum with:

Desolidifacation, not versus Energy (-1/2?);

Large damage shield with Affects Solid;

Tunnelling;

A huge explosion with one non-recoverable charge and no personal immunity :).

Michael